General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Heated Seats - Need EXPERT HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 04:10 PM

Heated Seats - Need EXPERT HELP!!!!

Ok, I have a 2007 Chevy HHR LS. I did not have heated seats as an option when i bought the car. I went to gmpartsdirect and ordered all of the essential parts which have been indicated below. However the Harness is not available for which ever reason, which i believe would have the plugs available for a plug and play application. I would like to know how i would be able to manually wire the car for heated seats, I know this would be a difficult task for most people, but i'm pretty god with schematics.

1 - Driver Back Heater
1 - Driver Cushion Heater
1 - Pass Back Heater
1 - Driver Cushion Heater
2x - Heater Control Module
1 - Dash Control Module (With switchs for heated seats and HVAC controls

Is there anybody out there who can lead me in the right direction? PLEASE HELP. Would i also have to get the BCM reprogrammed? I wanted to make this all factory, and not aftermarket, that would be the easy way out.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:16 PM

Parts Ordered:

Part: 15794777*
Category: All
Description: HARNESS - (CAN'T GET - CAN ANYBODY HELP???)
Min.Qty: 1
Unit Price: $220.88
Quantity: 1
Ext.Price: $220.88
Core Charge: $0.00
--------------------------------------------------------
Part: 15906839*
Description: CONTROL
Unit Price: $118.66
Ext.Price: $118.66
Part: 21994364*
Description: HEATER
Unit Price: $36.09
Ext.Price: $36.09
Part: 21994493*
Unit Price: $50.15
Quantity: 2
Ext.Price: $100.30
Part: 22734070*
Unit Price: $31.82
Ext.Price: $31.82
Old 02-11-2009, 04:26 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by NxlKing2304
Ok, I have a 2007 Chevy HHR LS.
Is there anybody out there who can lead me in the right direction? PLEASE HELP. Would i also have to get the BCM reprogrammed? I wanted to make this all factory, and not aftermarket, that would be the easy way out.
Since the LS does not come w/ the heated seat option, I don't think you are going to be able to have it "factory" wired. Not really sure about the BCM and if it would be compatible w/ the aftermarket heaters.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:32 PM

How about pulling the harness you need out of a salvage LT ?
Old 02-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Founding Member

BCM is not used in the Heated Seats!

2007 Chevrolet HHR | HHR (VIN A) Service Manual | Document ID: 1526884
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heated Seats Description and Operation
The heated seat system consists of the following components:

• Heated seat switch

• Heated seat control module

• Seat cushion heater element

• Seat back heater element

• Temperature sensor

• HVAC/CLSTR/BTSI fuse 10A

• HTD SEATS fuse 20A

Heated Seat Switch
The heated seat switch controls the high and low temperature settings through a rocker switch that is located near the HVAC control head. Battery positive voltage is supplied to the switch from the HVAC/CLSTR/BTSI fuse located in the IBCM fuse block. The heated seat system will operate only with the ignition in the ON position.

Control Module Power and Ground
Battery positive voltage is supplied at all times to the heated seat module through the battery positive voltage circuit and the HTD SEATS fuse located in the underhood fuse block. When commanded ON, the heated seat module uses this voltage to heat the seat heating elements. The heated seat module and the seat heating elements are grounded through the module ground circuit to G301.

Heated Seat Operation
When the heated seat switch is placed in either the high or low temperature position, battery positive voltage is applied through the heated seat switch signal circuit to the heated seat module. At the same time, battery voltage is also applied through one of two resisters in the switch and the heated seat HI/LO signal circuit to the module. In response to these switch signals, the heated seat module closes it's contacts and applies battery positive voltage through the heated seat element supply voltage to the seat heating elements. When the heated seat switch is in the HIGH heat position, battery voltage is applied through a 200 ohm resister and the module sets the seat temperature to high heat. When the heated seat switch is in the LOW heat position, battery voltage is applied through a 2,850 ohm resister and the module sets the seat temperature to low heat.

Temperature Regulation
The heated seat system is designed to warm the seat cushion and seat back to approximately 44°C (111.2°F) when in the high heat mode, or 37°C (98.6°F) when in the low heat mode. The heated seat module monitors the seat temperature through the temperature sensor signal circuit and the temperature sensor (thermistor) that is located in the seat cushion. The temperature sensor is a variable resistor, it's resistance changes as the temperature of the seat changes. When the temperature sensor resistance indicates to the heated seat module that the seat cushion has reached the desired temperature, the module opens its contacts to remove voltage from the heating elements. The heated seat module will then cycle the contacts open and closed to maintain the desired temperature.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Founding Member

Now that being said, aftermarket may be a cheaper and easier route.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:53 PM

Amen to that. I would also be concerned about any warranty issues should aforementioned heated seat additions fry some electrical shiznit.

Whoa 111degrees? talk about toasted bunz. I loves me some heated seats, I use em all the time. Nice for the old back and lumbar.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:03 PM

CHEVYMGR:

Thanks for the info. The problem I have is that i already ordered half the parts, and they will not cancel them because the harness is not availaible. Are you a Chevy Dealer? If you can get me the harness I'll go through you. I will also look into a junk yard for a LT model. Do you have any pictures of the system, pinouts for all modules? Where do i get the temperature sensor?. i thought that was built into the heter control module? Please PM me, i don't want to crowd the thread. Thanks, I want to be a guinea pig and will do ANYTHING it takes to get this done.

NxlKing2304

Hiphotrod:
I'm not worried about my warranty, because i don't have one!only 36,000 mile, and i have over 53,000 on her already. lol
Old 02-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Founding Member

That harness can be obtained from your local dealer, but the parts department doesn't know how to order it.

Here is how it works, go talk to the service manager. He or someone he chooses must call PQC to order the part. Since it is a harness GM has put a restriction on them so that a technician cannot simply order one any more. The reason is that GM doesn't want to PAY for a new harness, they want to pay for a repair to the old one. Much cheaper.

So when service calls them, as I have to do for body shop repairs, and tells them it's not a warranty issue but rather a customer pay issue they will ship the part. It's another way GM is controlling their warranty costs.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:29 PM

perfect, now to just get the part. gmpartsdirect was gonna sell to me at 220.00 and that was with shipping. They said they cann get the part, I will try to call them to see if they can follow your stpe. I'll keep you out of it though. I'll keep everybody posted! Want to go factory all the way.

Any fix for the rear wiper blade yet? Not cleaning properly? Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Heated Seats - Need EXPERT HELP!!!!