General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Hertz Rent 2 Buy Flooding The Market Again

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:59 PM

Hertz Rent 2 Buy Flooding The Market Again

Another round of 2009 HHR's are coming out of the rental fleet and are flooding the used car market. Doesn't do much for the resale value of our HHRs.

http://hertzrent2buy.com/content/Sea...ce=50&ZipCode=
Old 03-02-2010, 10:01 PM

That's kinda cool though how you can "rent" it for 3 days, then buy it!

Nothing wrong with rentals.... My Lumina was one in North Carolina back in 1999, and it's been great for both me and the previous owner!
Old 03-03-2010, 05:36 AM

Rentals and fleet sales kill the value of a vehicle at resale time.

GM has been moving away from them with the newer cars but the old cars lke Cobalt and HHR are still getting neat 1/3 dumped on the market.

Fleet sales have killed the Grand Prix market.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:16 AM

A 2009 HHR many with 30-40000 miles on them at about 1/2 original price still seems high. My brother picked up a former rental '05 PT Cruiser with ~12,000 miles and 10 months old for about $10K. He's not the easiest on cars and has had some issues with the car wheel bearing, tie rods, injectors and the car has only 35K miles on the clock now.

I always "worry" about former rentals as many rentals get some hard driving during their year in the rental market. I have rented cars sparenly. I did get a Town and County van when I moved to Florida as towing a trailer was too hard on my Buick. I put 3000 miles on the van in a week. All highway driving.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:59 AM

We are also seeing a lot of Cash for Clunkers repo's. When I was shopping one buddy showed me the auctions and it's pretty frightening. All makes and models (and HHR's are in there).

Not much we can do about it. I just bought my SS with 13k on it and benefited from the excess cars in auction. The dealer could flip the car for little profit and easily replace it from auction.

HHR's start cheap and go downhill from there in resale anyway. I knew that going in so I held my ground on the price.

On the rentals, it could have been driven nice or hard. That is no different than a privately owned car. However, I would only get a previous daily rental if it was certified or has a lot of 3/36k warranty left so you have a chance to shake out any bugs. If not, the price would have to be stupid-low.

For the SS, the Stage 1 kit will become a question on resale? If it had a Stage 1 kit in it, was it abused? I might assume yes otherwise why was it installed? Of course that isn't a valid assumption since people like me buy higher power cars and never use the power (I never smoked the tires once in my GTO and only chirped the tires a couple of times). VISS reports will show the reflash for Stage 1 (or Global Vehicle History - whatever it's called now). It will be possible to figure out if it had the kit at one time with some digging or looking for the splices to the maps. Do we ding the price for that? Sure, the warranty is still there but it's about perception.

When I was shopping, I ignored the cars with a Stage 1 kit but I have considered adding it to mine. Talk about two-faced!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by terryk
For the SS, the Stage 1 kit will become a question on resale? If it had a Stage 1 kit in it, was it abused? I might assume yes otherwise why was it installed? Of course that isn't a valid assumption since people like me buy higher power cars and never use the power (I never smoked the tires once in my GTO and only chirped the tires a couple of times). VISS reports will show the reflash for Stage 1 (or Global Vehicle History - whatever it's called now). It will be possible to figure out if it had the kit at one time with some digging or looking for the splices to the maps. Do we ding the price for that? Sure, the warranty is still there but it's about perception.

When I was shopping, I ignored the cars with a Stage 1 kit but I have considered adding it to mine. Talk about two-faced!
Another telltale sign of turbo upgrade kit installation is the additional emissions cert. label that is (or should have been) applied to the underside of the hood.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by RoadDawg831
Another telltale sign of turbo upgrade kit installation is the additional emissions cert. label that is (or should have been) applied to the underside of the hood.
Good Point!
Old 03-03-2010, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by RoadDawg831
Not in Illinois.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by terryk
We are also seeing a lot of Cash for Clunkers repo's. When I was shopping one buddy showed me the auctions and it's pretty frightening. All makes and models (and HHR's are in there).

Not much we can do about it. I just bought my SS with 13k on it and benefited from the excess cars in auction. The dealer could flip the car for little profit and easily replace it from auction.

HHR's start cheap and go downhill from there in resale anyway. I knew that going in so I held my ground on the price.

On the rentals, it could have been driven nice or hard. That is no different than a privately owned car. However, I would only get a previous daily rental if it was certified or has a lot of 3/36k warranty left so you have a chance to shake out any bugs. If not, the price would have to be stupid-low.

The Cash For Clunkers is like the Fannie and Freddie goverment loans to sell housed to people who could not afford them. Bet the press will not cover the down side of this.

As for the SS Turbo Upgrade kit. I see no reason for it to be an issue since it was a GM dealer installed option and covered under the GM drivetrain warranty. While it may give more performance it is not performance that the car can not handle. The power is well with in resonable levels that it should not hurt the car. The Ecotech turbo engine is much stronger and able than most people realize. 290 HP well under 100 HP the engine can handle with no more modifications. At 400 HP GM recomends piston upgrades and the engine can go even farther on the remaining parts till the next required upgrade.

The long and short of it the performance nature has not hurt the past Camaro SLP SS nor Firehawk cars nor dose it hurt the Z06 or other performance cars. When was the last time you saw a Shelby discounted because it might have been driven hard?

As with most performance vehicles they are either beat to death or cared for even better than normal. Even Ray Charles can 90% of the time tell the care the car has had.

Most times the tires are the part that take the most abuse next to the clutch. Out side of that these drivetrains are pretty bulit proof for the most. If something blew up it was due to poor non GM upgrades. Lets face it these care even have built in rev limiters anymore so even a missed shift is not an issue. Tires see more abuse than anything.

I see the stage kit being a option that will increase the value. Now if you want to talk about aftermarket upgrades that one is much tougher. Often aftermarket upgrades can kill value unless you can prove how well they were done. Some can help if done properly but often some people can really screw up a car because they did not do it right. That is a value killer and why some GTO's and Mustangs can now be had for a song.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by SPPD
Not in Illinois.
It should be as the sticker comes in ever kit and is there to replace the under hood factory sticker in all 50 states and Canada. If it is not there someone screwed up and left it off.

Also the sticker in the gas lid that stated Premium Required is another sign.

The easiest is t just look at the T map on the intake and if it is a 90 degree connector Bosch T map it is upgraded.

Unless you are real uninformed it would be hard to pass one off a stock SS as real upgrade on sight alone. The boost levels will also be telling on the test drive.

Quick Reply: Hertz Rent 2 Buy Flooding The Market Again