General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR 2008 Towing behind motor home...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Arn

HHR 2008 Towing behind motor home...

I have read about adding a switch to the fuse instead of having to take it out, however, when trying to get that installed we were told we are unable to have that done.

So the new question is this, would unhooking the battery be just as effective as removing the fuse? It is a little cumbersome having to take that out and put it back in, especially for my Dad who is in his 80's and has a hard time seeing the fuse box area very well.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

Where did you inquire about installing a switch on the fuse? It really isn't a difficult job, and any mechanic should be able to do it easily. However, I doubt a Chevy dealer would do it.

If you think removing a fuse would be difficult, try getting to the battery to disconnect it - that can be clumbersome removing two layers of flooring - and disconnecting the battery has it's own issues as far as danger etc..

Also, if the battery is disconnected you lose the ability to open the doors with the remote, and the battery is needed when towing anyways.

You really need to find a different mechanic to install that switch. Maybe try an RV dealer that does servicing that is near you?
Old 07-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Arn

The ones that couldn't install the switch are the same people that installed the hookup for the towing, which is an RV place I believe.

As for the battery other then opening the doors, just removing the connections to the battery itself isn't that difficult, but sounds like there may be other reasons that is not a good idea?
Old 07-10-2013, 02:22 PM

RV shops know their stuff when it comes to RVs but most won't touch custom mods on cars. Lots of info on the RV boards for this kind of thing. It looks like a do-it-yourself job, nothing seems to come up that's ready made. I suspect that any neighborhood shop can do this for you if you aren't handy. Here's a link that may help:
http://fulltime-rv.blogspot.com/2009...acket-and.html
Old 07-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Arn

Originally Posted by Doc brown
Thanks that does look pretty easy, even I could probably do it LOL

I'll look into this some more. Thanks!
Old 07-10-2013, 04:35 PM

That switch for fuse 8 is simple to install. I spent probably no more than five minutes installing mine, and if I can do it,believe me anyone can. You need the cars electrical system, live, while towing, for lights, signals, and depending on what braking system you install, for brake functionality too! You can order the switch pre-made, from a Canadian supplier, can get you the web site if you need it. Two wires to connect and that is it.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Arn

I'll look around for switches, thanks for the info about the battery that make sense needing to keep it connected and is what I figured, but I told my Dad I'd check so I did. Good to know specifics as to why and to be able to pass it on to him - sometimes when a daughter tells a father something they want to hear it from some place else I guess lol

Thanks for all the info very helpful!
Old 07-11-2013, 03:43 PM

I set up our 08 2 LT to tow 4 down last year. Have pulled the car for ~ 5000 miles
without any problems. I recommend this switch for ease of installation and is a quality product.

http://www.rv-partsplus.com/RVing%20FuseSwitch/5/0

J Michael
2001 Newmar KADP 4084
2008 HHR
Old 07-11-2013, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by JMichael
I set up our 08 2 LT to tow 4 down last year. Have pulled the car for ~ 5000 miles
without any problems. I recommend this switch for ease of installation and is a quality product.

http://www.rv-partsplus.com/RVing%20FuseSwitch/5/0

J Michael
2001 Newmar KADP 4084
2008 HHR
Arn, this is where I got mine also. I see their prices are up a bit, think I paid thirty some dollars when I bought mine, but it looks like the same switch, which should work for you.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

Good find - but Yikes - that is a lot more than what I thought someone would charge. For that price I'd make my own for less than $10.

Quick Reply: HHR 2008 Towing behind motor home...