General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR AC Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 10:20 AM

I posted in an earlier thread that mine too is noisy. It was replaced once and the new compressor still makes a bit of a whine but it's no where near as noisy as the first one. As far as cooling goes, it's one of the best A/C's I've ever had, it will freeze you out.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Only have about 650 miles on my HHR. But the A/C compressor has constantly more noise. The "warden" says, "it sounds like 2 cats in heat".

Taking a trip to So. Cal this coming weekend. Goes into the dealer on my return.

Does cool nice, though.
You know, it just so happens that my brother-in-law came into town yesterday and rented an HHR - 2.2, Orange, auto tranny, etc. He asked me about the engine noise because he said that when he has the air on (which, if you've been in Phoenix lately, you cannot do without - we've already hit 112 twice!), he said it sounds like two squirrels fighting. I said I hadn't heard anything close to that, but according to other posts, it sounds like there might be something different in the 2.2 vs. the 2.4?
Old 06-07-2006, 11:09 AM

Got My Hhr Back With The New A/c Hoses, It's Fixed!!! It Has Never Been This Quiet Since Day 1. It Also Seems To Blow Colder, Although The Technician Said The Charge In The System Was Ok Before Installing The New Hoses.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by PITTSBURGH HHR
Got My Hhr Back With The New A/c Hoses, It's Fixed!!! It Has Never Been This Quiet Since Day 1. It Also Seems To Blow Colder, Although The Technician Said The Charge In The System Was Ok Before Installing The New Hoses.
Just curious, what made them replace the hoses? Did they indicate that the hoses were causing the noise? -Dan
Old 06-07-2006, 11:19 AM

The Chevy Service Bulletin Stated To Replace The 2 Hoses, Not The A/c Compressor. Evidently The New Hoses Are Redesigned From The Original Ones, The Bulletin Doesn't Really State Why The Hoses Were Causing The Noise, But It Fixed The Problem. Also A New Clip Is To Be Installed To Prevent The Hoses From Contacting Each Other And To Give Some Rigidity To The Hose Assembly. They Had To Order The Clip For Me.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by PITTSBURGH HHR
The Chevy Service Bulletin Stated To Replace The 2 Hoses, Not The A/c Compressor. Evidently The New Hoses Are Redesigned From The Original Ones, The Bulletin Doesn't Really State Why The Hoses Were Causing The Noise, But It Fixed The Problem. Also A New Clip Is To Be Installed To Prevent The Hoses From Contacting Each Other And To Give Some Rigidity To The Hose Assembly. They Had To Order The Clip For Me.
Hmmmm, this is odd. My dealer didn't mention anything about a bulliten regarding this issue. Do you by chance have the bulliten number?
Old 06-07-2006, 11:59 AM

You'd think Chevy would notify HHR owners about this Service Bulletin and get the problem fixed pronto. The air in my Wife's car is certainly plenty cold, but has the annoying (to me!!) whine too. I don't think that it's acceptable for a new car to be making such a noise, whether the air is cold or not. It reminds me of the noise I used I'd hear coming from some late '40s, early '50s cars when they're Auto Trannies were going out. HydraMatics in particular.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Alzonie
You'd think Chevy would notify HHR owners about this Service Bulletin and get the problem fixed pronto. The air in my Wife's car is certainly plenty cold, but has the annoying (to me!!) whine too. I don't think that it's acceptable for a new car to be making such a noise, whether the air is cold or not. It reminds me of the noise I used I'd hear coming from some late '40s, early '50s cars when they're Auto Trannies were going out. HydraMatics in particular.
Bingo, now that's the best description of the noise I've heard so far.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Alzonie
Hey...that is a good description of the sound. In fact, when I first noticed it, I thought it was the trans pump.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:29 PM

Dealer Service Bulletin # 06-01-38-004 Dated 5/25/2006

Quick Reply: HHR AC Troubles