General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:40 AM

The old Nox and Torrent are not that good. They are ok but nothing to write home about.

As for japanese built it means nothing anymore they have as many recalls as anyone else.

E85? does anyone really use it?

The only Nox worth having are the new ones. Sorry they are out of the price range.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by trfindley
I figured out that other vehicles big enough to carry a bicycle cost more and got lower gas mileage, so I got the HHR.

I'm glad now I didn't get a Mini or Smart Car. The Chev dealer is only 8 miles away, and does a good job. Superior Chevrolet, Decatur, GA.
What happened to the Cube? I haven't seen any on the road.
Can't get a bicycle in mine without removing the seat or front wheel. Lots of space is wasted by plastic.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:19 AM

My alternative was the Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe. They were more reliable with slightly better fuel use. Also looked at the Nissan Versa but rear seats did not fold flat though they could be taken out.

However, the HHR Panel won out because it was a van that offered privacy in the rear for sleeping and storage. Also, the HHR with the options seemed to be better priced and packaged for those features I wanted..
Old 08-26-2009, 11:35 AM

I looked at the Vibe, Escape, and HHR. Then I drove an HHR SS
Old 08-26-2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
The old Nox and Torrent are not that good. They are ok but nothing to write home about.
True, but many people want a non-compact vehicle or the SUV pretention, and 'ok' is good enough.

As for japanese built it means nothing anymore they have as many recalls as anyone else.
Right, but I don't mean recalls, I mean reliability issues (a fine line I know). Still its a statistical argument, you are 'less likely' to have an issue in the XL7 vs. the sister torrent/equinox/vue. Doesn't mean you won't have one though.
Is it coincidence that it is made in japan vs. Canada US or Mexico, maybe, but those are the stats.

Yes.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:53 PM

If the Orlando is going be the replacement for the HHR, from the pictures I've seen, I'm likeing my HHR more and more.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Marzipan
Can't get a bicycle in mine without removing the seat or front wheel. Lots of space is wasted by plastic.
There are few vehicles you can get a bicycle in today. But I had a 63 Ford that would eat an entire 10 speed laying on it's side.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:49 PM

Chris' 24" bike fits perfect in the back laying on it's side. I have to take the tire off my 26" to fit it in. Thankfully I have a quick release tire. It's nice to be able to throw both bikes in the back and head out to the bike paths.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6

The only Nox worth having are the new ones. Sorry they are out of the price range.
Probably but not sure why you would. Even alot of the enviromentalist are becoming more and more agianst it. Plus w/ the worse mpg of it you spend the same $$ if you would have bought normal regular fuel.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by 09_SS
Probably but not sure why you would. Even alot of the enviromentalist are becoming more and more agianst it. Plus w/ the worse mpg of it you spend the same $$ if you would have bought normal regular fuel.
To me it is just a gimick.

Quick Reply: HHR alternatives