General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR common oil leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 08:08 PM

HHR common oil leaks?

hey guys, we have an 06 LT with the 2.4, 150K miles. Ive been under it doing rotors, struts, tires etc and have noticed the lower engine and trans areas were wet with oil. thought it was trans fluid but after checking its level, it is fine. So theres engine oil leaking somewhere allowing it to puddle on the starter and the front lower head area. filter cap apppears to be tight, and somehow the oil level was not low when i last checked. tried cleaning it off but apparently its been leaking for a while.
Whats the common leak points on these engines? thanks
Old 01-01-2015, 08:26 PM

Are you sure it's oil? Mine has what I thought was oil all along the bottom of the motor/trans(scared the hell out of me), but it just turned out to be road crap. As far as I know, these motors don't really have "common" leak areas.

If you're still uncertain, I would check anywhere there is a seal.

Also, try putting a piece of carboard under it when you park it at night. If there is an oil spot on it the next morning, you know that you do, in fact, have a leak, and a rough estimate of where said leak is located.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:45 PM

oh yea, its nice and gold. Last time was almost positive it was ATF but I was wrong. My driveway is a gravel type and oil remains are scattered around where she parks it. Oil was changed 3000 miles ago and I expected it to be not even touching the stick judging by how wet the undercarriage is but the oil level was just a hair under full. If the oil filter housing has a gasket besides the cap gasket Id suspect that. Just hoping it makes it to 200K.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:36 PM

Is this an early 06 with an oil cooler? Here is a diagram of the oil cooler and coolant hoses.
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2015, 06:21 AM

Those have O-ring seals that can leak after 6-8 years.

In the last week a member has posted his solution. And a tool to use.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...located-52605/
Old 01-02-2015, 12:19 PM

I would also check the oil filter cap. I was leaking small amounts of oil as well, turns out one of the dealership minions put the cap on too tight the last time I had it changed and cracked it. They're only plastic.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by rihan
I would also check the oil filter cap. I was leaking small amounts of oil as well, turns out one of the dealership minions put the cap on too tight the last time I had it changed and cracked it. They're only plastic.
This is what i was thinking. Could have a worn o-ring on the filter cap as well if you havent changed it when you change the oil.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:57 PM

yes it does have that oil cooler, which I was trying to see under for leaks but didnt know what it was until now. Im guessing its those O-rings then which doesnt seem like an easy fix but will check the filter cap ring again next time the oil is changed.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

You might have to degrease the engine and then start tracking it once it is clean. Other easy things that come to mind are valve cover gasket, the oil filler tube where it enters the valve cover, along with the items previously mentioned.

I think we did have a member that found his oil leak was actually spillage from an oil change.

Let us know what you find. Best of luck.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:12 PM

@Tylerz71

Hey.... and Welcome!

You and I are some of the few & lucky to have an early 2006 HHR that has the oil cooler on it.
First off: If you start to work on your car- YOU MUST DISCONNECT THE BATTERY IN THE TRUNK AREA & PUT A FOLDED TOWEL OVER THE LOCK(to allow you to reconnect the battery).

SECONDLY: You CAN change the oil seals WITHOUT DROPPING THE TRANSMISSION!
The problem is that there is VERY LITTLE SPACE to work and getting the lower front bolt out is next to impossible.(but it can be done.) You should remove the radiator hose from the thermostat and just pull it to the front(keep it high & it will not spill).
You will need a GOOD tool to remove the front lower bolt on the oil cooler. I am going to relocate my oil cooler and make it less likely to leak & MUCH easier to change the seals. Here are a few pictures!

Quick Reply: HHR common oil leaks?