General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR Damage

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 04:14 PM

What part of Alabama did you sell the car to the guy? I could just luck up and get me a few goodies from a nearby salvage yard.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
Good point about the spinning affect - that could explain the rear damage and the neck injuries.
How about two torn rotor cuffs? I don't thing the ge forces were that high.

Being in several crashes. I am just guessing he was not belted in or was very close to the wheel. The bag came out as he braced on the wheel. This would accound for neck and back injuries and the bracing on the wheel can damage the rotor's.

I was un belted in my first crash and learned the hard way. I bent the steering wheel down to the dash. After my last crash I was so glad I had my belt on as the air bag about took my head and neck off. They found my sunglassed in the back. The crazy thing is I did not hit anything solid. The bag went off hitting the edge of the ditch. I could only imagine if I had the force of moving forward too.

Just my guess anyway. I just would like to know just to learn how and why and to make sure I don't do the same thing. Note the crashes were no my fault and I was not cited. LOL!

Either way anyone you walk away from is a good one. Today if you have a Airbag I would recomend using the belt just to protect you from it. Even not hitting anything solid I had bruses, cuts and burns just from the bag. The belts never left a mark sinc I did not hit anything hard.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:48 PM

Ouch x6
Old 12-03-2011, 08:47 PM

Glad he is ok, not so hot on the exterior mods. Less is more.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:59 AM

When i totaled mine.. it was a hard front impact causing front and passenger side curtain airbags to go off... I spun and hit the divider with the rear causing similar damage. I too, wonder if he was belted. My worst injury was a large bruise on my leg from the steering wheel or column, and all around soreness.

I hope he heals up quick... Coulda been far worse!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 08:27 PM

Looks like the car may have saved his life

Goose
Old 12-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Ouch , glad to hear he is alive and on the mend, but that HHR looks to be a write off for sure!! sad really but its only a car , only a car, only a car.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
I was wondering about that too. If you notice, the front bumper was hardly damaged (except in the corner). The impact looked to take place above the bumper, as if a high mounted truck or other vehicle hit the HHR. Neither the windshield nor any of the windows broke. Looks very odd.

When you say someone hit him, was he standing still at the time, or were both vehicles traveling?
He was traveling one direction and the other guy was traveling the other direction on the freeway the guy came across the median and hit him.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:06 AM
geg

I will try to reconstruct the events (to test the skills of the insurer).
Judging from the border damages - speed of HHR was low. Perhaps HHR approaching an intersection or stopped and waiting for the green light. Ahead - a truck (a characteristic mark on the bonnet on the left side, is the angle of the cargo platform). Back - at high speed go the guilty car, is high (pickup or van).
The last second a driver realizes that he has no time to stop. He urgently turn to the left, but too late. Hit by the bumper in the ass, right side. The impact velocity - 15 to 30 km / h, This follows from the displacement of the vertebrae driver. At 40 km / h and above - spinal fracture and rupture of the spinal cord.
HHR - a sharp jolt forward and to the right. Right under the truck. Muzzle HHR stuck under the loading platform, like a wedge and it pressed down. This is shown by the wrinkled hood (harmonica) and broken right tire.
I was thinking about overtaking, but the likelihood - is less.
In conclusion, I want to wish a speedy recovery to the injured driver.

PS The gates were not injured - a piece of cake
Old 01-01-2012, 03:08 PM

Turning left from stop, woman ran the light and hit me in the driver's door. Front wheel and running bar absorbed most of the impact and side-curtain airbag saved my head from hitting the window. '09 HHR 2LT, one of two I own, totaled. Will buy another, I am thrilled at how well this car held up.

Quick Reply: HHR Damage