General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR deer collision compatable body parts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 10:06 AM

HHR deer collision compatable body parts?

Some questions regarding my repair. 2011 HHR. Good car with no rust. 127K My son hit a deer. We only had liability on the car. Not full coverage so I'm left doing the repair myself. I just replaced the 2.2 engine with identical engine with 38K and has new tires about 3000 miles ago. Then the deer happened. Hood Radiator Condensor Driver Fender Driver Headlight Bumper Cover all need replaced. Probably other stuff I can't see yet. Passenger wheel knuckle and axle broken as well from spinning out into the ditch. Air bags did not deploy. I can buy a donor vehicle 2008 for $600 that has all the parts I need. Does anyone know about compatablility issues between body parts and years as well as radiator/condensor support etc? The second part of my question is a no start issue after the collision. Key turns, all the dash lights come on but there is no start. No turn over. No click. Nothing. Is there a collision reset on HHR or a fuel starter shutoff safety feature I'm not aware of? Or something else maybe I haven't found yet with the collision that caused the no start. Wiring maybe. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:44 AM

The only difference is the 2008 is not FlexFuel and the 2.2l engine is not VVT. In other words: different engine. The 2008 2.4l is "similar" to a 2011 engine.
Everything else is pretty much interchangeable.
The collision must have dislodged something under the hood. No auto shut off without rollover.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:54 AM

Donbrew Thanks for the quick answers.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Sorry to read about your 2011 HHR. I hope your son is ok! All years all body parts are the same with the exception of the 2008 thru 2010 SS models. Hopefully you’ll have it back together soon. That 2.2 from the 2008 unfortunately isn’t compatible as Donbrew points out.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:24 PM

Oldblue Thanks. He wasn't hurt thankfully. Gives us a project to work on. This has been my spare/go to car when we need it. Four kids driving age so they all have taken their turn. I spent the money getting the engine replaced and new tires about a month before the deer damage so I didn't just want to trash it. The engine in the donor is bad so I wasn't worried about that but I did want to use the radiator and front parts that fit in there. Condensor AC hoses and other items that I might need. Thanks for the input
Old 01-13-2022, 12:33 PM
Administrator

For those parts your good to go!
Old 01-13-2022, 02:22 PM

Reminds me of the time my last payment posted on the same day a guy totaled my truck. Right when I thought I was free of $300 every month.
Old 01-15-2022, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Reminds me of the time my last payment posted on the same day a guy totaled my truck. Right when I thought I was free of $300 every month.
Yep. Felt like a $2600 boat anchor when he hit that deer. Hopefully I can get it put right without too much more expense.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:55 AM
Administrator

A nice winter project and a learning/teaching experience for you and your son. Hopefully you have a garage! Post photos and show us what damage you have to address and how you address it.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:57 AM

I hit a deer with my 2006 1LT a few years ago in the same area of the car (driver's side front). Everything was bolt-on except for the radiator support. The support was bent toward the passenger side and down. I straightened it out pretty close with a chain attached to a barn beam. The support is welded on and is available from GM if you want to replace it (Radiator Support ). Rock auto carries it but shows out of stock. The support is VERY strong and hard to straighten out. I tried to straighten it out by winching with a chain, but the car slid sideways before the support would start bending back. Finally, I jerked the car against the chain (I left a little slack, chain attached to a big barn support) until it slowly straightened out close to the factory position. You can measure two diagonal points from a hood hinge screw to the hood bumper on the radiator support (opposite corner) for each side. The measurements should be within 1/8 inch. When I started the measurements were different by an inch.

Good Luck
Steve

Quick Reply: HHR deer collision compatable body parts?