General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR dinged up pretty good :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 07:00 PM

HHR dinged up pretty good :(

My 17 year old daughter plowed into the neighbor's fence today. She managed to dent and/or gouge the front bumper, dent the hood, right front fender, right rear door and right rear quarter panel. The right running board is pushed back about an inch also, and the passenger front door is pushed up slightly.

Currently, the right front door won't open, because the fender is mangled. (see photo). Has anyone removed a fender on one of these cars before? My plan is to remove it and hammer it back into a shape that will allow the door to at least open again.

I told her it looks like several thousand dollars damage, considering it would probably require a new fender and probably a new paint job. I also told her I won't be fixing it (and I won't be making a claim w/ insurance either). That can be her reminder of her momentary lapse in attention. I'm glad she wasn't hurt and that aside from a few boards on the fence, there was no other damage and no injuries.

She was going about 10mph when she side-swiped the fence and broke several boards (split rail ranch style about 3 feet high). It's incidents like this that makes me wish we still had cars like my Dad's '67 Chrysler Newport. That thing was a battle tank with steel that was 3x thicker than this tin can. (Incidentally, my brother drove that car off of the road, over several boulders and into an oak tree).

And yes, I'm drinking a cold beer right now...

Old 10-04-2009, 07:09 PM

Glad she's ok. Glad it's not my SS, and glad I won't be having this happen to me since the mrs. and I don't plan on having any little Blauskis.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:32 PM

When you get if fixed paint them rear drums, also glad everyone is ok.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:42 PM

Lol about the drums...Those are from Advance Auto, as the originals had been turned 3x by the dealer and still squeaked (these do also).

After only 30 minutes, I just about have the fender off of the car. Boy, talk about paper-thin sheet metal! Seriously, it's horribly thin. It's no wonder a 10 mph crash looks so bad. Body shops must love these cars. I'll post more pics when the fender is off.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:00 PM

Fender came right off. Only about 10 fastners holding the whole thing on. The headlamp assy. is mounted to it, so I had to disconnect all the electrical underneath the fender.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:09 PM

My heart hurts for you brother. At least you are already going at making things better. Keep us posted on your progress.

I know what you mean about the old heavy metal. My sister came in crying one evening saying that she wrecked our shared 1963 Mercury Colony Park wagon. She said she rear-ended a lady in a Corolla who had stalled with her lights off, and it totalled the Toyota. I went outside with a flashlight to see how bad the damage was to the Merc. One headlight broken, one light scratch on the chrome bumper. They don't make them like that anymore.

God Bless, Marc
Old 10-04-2009, 08:22 PM

" They don't make them like that anymore. " Yes they were tanks and they don't make then like that because alot off pepole were hurt or killed. Cars today are safer and get way better MPG.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the sympathy. I'm feeling a little better about it, now that I know I'll be able to open the pass door again. Man, the wife was pissed! (The Polish descent probably doesn't help). Luckily, she's at work right now, and that'll give her 12 hours to cool-off a little.

I am quite upset at my daughter, but at the same time, I have to feel for her a little: I wrecked my mom's '78 Caprice, 2 weeks after I got my license. Back then, it was "only" $400 for a fender. If the wife doesn't cool down when she gets home tomorrow, I'll have to reminder her of when she hit a boat with her '89 240SX. Following too close behind a trailered boat and she drove her car underneath the prop on the motor.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:28 PM

Check out schram auto for body panels thats where i got my SS bumpers and got an excellent deal through them, shipped to my door.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:31 PM

I agree about the safety issue, but I disagree about the blanket statement on gas mileage of the average vehicle on the road. My old '71 440 Charger weighed 3950 on a scale. I recall laughing when the Dodge Stealth came out at 4100 pounds in the late '80's. Have you checked the big Ferarri these days? Well north of two tons. Also, look at the percentage of pickups and SUV's on the highway compared to the old days. My Charger's 375 hp wasn't so bad on gas compared to those beasts roaming the streets today.

Why am I in an HHR? Because to beat my old '97 Mercury Grand Marquis' mileage I had to bypass mid sized cars and drop to a compact to get better mileage. I have rented tons of cars over the last several years, and I can tell you gas mileage is nothing to write home about.

The modern cars are safe, fast, drive good, and are luxurious. But all of this comes at a price...they are DENSE. Read heavy for their size. Just my 2 cents worth.

God Bless, Marc

Quick Reply: HHR dinged up pretty good :(