General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR dinged up pretty good :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 08:41 PM

Replacement Front, Passenger Side Fender - Primered, Steel, CAPA certified Part Number: C220165QManufacturer Number: C220165Q List Price: $192.07
Our Price: $162.77
You Save: $29.30 Quantity:
FENDER, STEEL, PRIMERED -- CAPA certified; A high quality, direct fit OE replacement fender. Finish: Primered
Material: Steel
Type: CAPA certified
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...at_name:Fender)
Old 10-04-2009, 10:59 PM

Sorry to hear about your accident, hope it doesn't cost to much to fix everything up, and I'm glad you're daughter is ok. While the cars built in the good ol' days had thicker metal, I'm not sure how much safer they were. Check out this interesting video of a recent crash test between a 2009 Chevy Malibu and 1959 Bel Air. According to the article on AutoBlog, the Bel Air driver would have been killed instantly, while the Malibu driver suffered only a bruised knee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xwYBBpHg1I
Old 10-05-2009, 03:01 AM

Well remember people make mistakes, especially new drivers. I know I did.
My son will be driving in a few years, and I look forward to and also fear that day. I hope to get him a beater and give him a good deal of experience behind the wheel BEFORE he takes the HHR out for a spin.
Good luck with the repairs, and thanks for the pics.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Marcruger
I agree about the safety issue, but I disagree about the blanket statement on gas mileage of the average vehicle on the road. My old '71 440 Charger weighed 3950 on a scale. I recall laughing when the Dodge Stealth came out at 4100 pounds in the late '80's. Have you checked the big Ferarri these days? Well north of two tons. Also, look at the percentage of pickups and SUV's on the highway compared to the old days. My Charger's 375 hp wasn't so bad on gas compared to those beasts roaming the streets today.

Why am I in an HHR? Because to beat my old '97 Mercury Grand Marquis' mileage I had to bypass mid sized cars and drop to a compact to get better mileage. I have rented tons of cars over the last several years, and I can tell you gas mileage is nothing to write home about.

The modern cars are safe, fast, drive good, and are luxurious. But all of this comes at a price...they are DENSE. Read heavy for their size. Just my 2 cents worth.

God Bless, Marc
Most cars do better mileage wise due to smaller and more efficent engines.

While my parents have had Chevelles all their lives. [they got new ones every year in the 60's and 70's] The new 08 Bu my mom has now may be heavier but has more power and gets much better mileage with the 3.6 DOHC V6 than chay of here Chevelles with a 307, 327 and 350 V8 engines. Not the best V8 they had was only 250 gross HP when today her V6 is 256 Net HP. In the oild days it would be near 290 gross HP in the old rating system.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:28 AM

I'm really scared now! I have two teenagers starting to drive and wanting their own car. I figured their first car would have one seat (driver), no radio, and I'm gonna fill the gas tank with rocks so it will only hold a couple gallons of gas at a time. If I could only figure a way to make it a cell phone dead zone too. Sorry to see the damage on your HHR. But I did notice you started to fix it anyway.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:26 AM

I know there's a few different schools of thought on what a young driver should be driving. I specifically bought the HHR 2 1/2 years ago, knowing that my kids would learn to drive in it. I wanted something with a good crash test rating; good mileage; and small, thus easier to drive. I figured I'd enjoy the car for 2 years before they got a "crack" at it. Yes, a beater would have been economically better, but we live in a very congested area (Northern VA) and I didn't want something too old, because of the safety issue.

We took our time with my daughther. A lot of kids get thier license the day they turn 16. All of us, my daughter included, weren't in any big rush. She only got her license last month. We have to do a lot of highway driving to get to town and school, and she does very well out on the road. I think that's the biggest shock to my wife and I - that it happened a few hundred feet from our house. I'm sure my daughter will gain some maturity out of this. She won't be driving for awhile, and I know that's a blow to her.

Thanks for the car parts link. I found one a little cheaper here for about $90
http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/ch...l#manufacturer

I may wait on it, as it would have to be painted as well. I'm hammering the original back into a basic shape again and will try and re-mount it for the time being.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Marcruger

The modern cars are safe, fast, drive good, and are luxurious. But all of this comes at a price...they are DENSE. Read heavy for their size. Just my 2 cents worth.

God Bless, Marc
Add all the safety equipment from today's cars to any older models and them compair weight and gas mileage.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:58 AM

Don't you all worry..not all teens are bad drivers! My dad gave my my truck for my first car, and both him and I would have been crying if I had smashed that up, and I never did, even during the winter months! And that's a hard truck to drive in the winter! Worst thing I ever did was nick a chain link fence with it, but that only left a tiny scratch in the bumper...

Now, I did have a kid back into my mom's brand new 2006 Impala at a youth group event....and the car was only 2 weeks old!
Old 10-05-2009, 10:31 PM

Sorry to hear but as stated atleast know one was Hurt, I remember when i first started driving take in mind this was 8-9yrs ago. I had a 94 Chevy Bertta, how that car lasted 2yrs i have know idea.

Funny thing is i gave it to my sister, Which she blew it up 2 weeks later. Just drink alot and hope she learn's from this. I personally would make her pay for it and or help you fix what needs to be fixed.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:55 PM

Well, after messing around with the dented fender, I've decided it's a lost cause. The metal is too thin and thus is too crinkled to straighten out. I ordered a replacement fender and also went to the auto paint store and had them mix me up a quart of paint, along with some clear coat and other chemicals. I'm up to about $400 in materials now before labor. I'm hoping a bodyman I know will help me out and shoot the fender for me. I'll post pics of that when the new one arrives from CA.

I did manage to re-align the pass door and running board today, so I'm feeling better about it. I do plan on telling my daughter she will be helping me buff out the scratches and helping me with the install.

Quick Reply: HHR dinged up pretty good :(