General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR dinged up pretty good :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:21 PM

Mine was rear ended on the freeway in SLC a couple of weeks ago. All it did that was visible was broke the reflector and damaged the bumper cover. The invisible damage was a bent bumper. Total damage came to just over $1200. Now the vehicle that hit me was a 1999 Grand Caravan, it was totaled. Broke the radiator, damaged the bumper cover, bent both front fenders, destroyed the grill, bent the hood and broke both sides of headlights and signal lights. And needless to say the 19 year old who hit me on the freeway got a ticket for several hundred dollars on top of all that. My issue is State Farm has not sent me a check for the damage yet (Utah is a no fault state), however the day I got back the insurance was due on my old car so I changed it over to the HHR and I've already recieved the updated cards and a bill for the additional amount, all in about a week. The damage estimate was done the same day and faxed to S.F. immediately. If I don't get a check from them in the next few days I'll be down at the insurance company office finding out what the deal is.

I know exactly what you mean about thin metal used in them. I lean against the side often and it always moves easily. The only place it doesn't seem to do this is at the B pillar between the doors.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:35 AM

I will warn that getting the fender lined up will be the most difficult part of this whole deal.

There are holdes at the top that help but witt he different angles it is not an easy task.

As for fixing the old fender that is something you just can't do much anymore on any car.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:17 AM

Fender

Save yourself some grief and throw that old fender away and get the one for 92 dollars. You will never be able to get it straight. As for the rest of the damage, it looks repairable, even the door, hood and quarter panel. Maybe a new fuel door. I do some body work on the side and it could have been a lot worse. New fender, repair the rest of the damage, repaint from the beltline down and the entire fender and hood.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ponyman1
Save yourself some grief and throw that old fender away and get the one for 92 dollars. You will never be able to get it straight. As for the rest of the damage, it looks repairable, even the door, hood and quarter panel. Maybe a new fuel door. I do some body work on the side and it could have been a lot worse. New fender, repair the rest of the damage, repaint from the beltline down and the entire fender and hood.
Cool, thanks for the tips. I ordered that fender and it showed up this morning. That was fast! I thought it was coming from CA, but they have a warehouse in VA, so that's why I got it so quick. I took it down to a local body shop, along with the mangled one, and the paint I bought yesterday. They're going to paint it for $120. Not bad, imo. Hopefully get it back by the end of the week.

I was looking at the fuel door...It looks like they riveted the hinge from the inside of the quarter panel. I guess you have to drill those out and use bolts of rivets from the outside. Do you have any suggestions of the hood dent? The hood has an internal structure, so you can't get right behind the dent. That would be a lot of bondo to level it out. Not sure what to do there.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:33 PM

Couple of ways

Old fashioned way. You should be able to buy an inexpensive dent puller at Autozone or O'Reilly. With these you drill a hole in the hood, the dent puller has a metal screw on the end. Screw this metal screw into the hole on the hood and then jerk the weighted slide hammer on the dent puller back until the dent begins to come out. You will probably have to drill several holes and work them several times to get the dent to pull out evenly.
New way, but you will probably have to go to a body shop for it. They have a stud welder. It welds meral studs to the hood. Then you use a puller that hooks onto these studs to pull the dent out.
When through grind the studs off flush and continue your body work.
On the first method I have seen it finished two ways. Braze up the holes, or just cover over them with filler. Both ways seem to work. I have a spot on my wife's MGB's door that I did this way then covered over the holes with filler. It has been that way for years with no trouble. The new two part fillers are great. Especially the ones with polyester or metal in them. I prefer the Evercoat brand which can be bought at body supply shops. Hope this helps
Old 10-06-2009, 06:48 PM

Yes get a new fender as they are not expensive and you will never get that one to where you can fix it.

Buy only GM sheet metal as some of the of brands are a mess to deal with. The generic stuff out of China is a pain to work with.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:30 PM

I agree with replacing fenders etc instead of trying to straighten. My HHR was sideswiped by an eighteen wheeler, no one hurt, but the HHR looked terrible. It was fortunately all sheetmetal damage, nothing bent under the car or the front end. The shop that worked on it, just replaced the door, fender and hood. Looking at it now, you could never tell. We did encounter a number of back orders for some of the parts. Waited a long time to get a new side view mirror, and rocker panel. Used only GM replacement stuff.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:32 PM

Ouch... I just got my SS 2 months ago, and cringe and every little thing... I think my heart would just about stop if I saw that kind of damage to my SS.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:05 AM

Thanks Ponyman. My daughter and I will give that a try!
Old 10-08-2009, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by tireman1554
I'm really scared now! I have two teenagers starting to drive and wanting their own car. I figured their first car would have one seat (driver), no radio, and I'm gonna fill the gas tank with rocks so it will only hold a couple gallons of gas at a time. If I could only figure a way to make it a cell phone dead zone too. Sorry to see the damage on your HHR. But I did notice you started to fix it anyway.
If you want to get them to appreciate the expense of owning a car, don't give them one. Make them get a job, buy their own car, insurance, and pay for their own gas.

My folks made me buy my own car, and I took VERY good care of it since I couldn't afford to tear it up.

Quick Reply: HHR dinged up pretty good :(