General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR dinged up pretty good :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Uma

Originally Posted by Seeburg220
My 17 year old daughter plowed into the neighbor's fence today. She managed to dent and/or gouge the front bumper, dent the hood, right front fender, right rear door and right rear quarter panel. The right running board is pushed back about an inch also, and the passenger front door is pushed up slightly.

Currently, the right front door won't open, because the fender is mangled. (see photo). Has anyone removed a fender on one of these cars before? My plan is to remove it and hammer it back into a shape that will allow the door to at least open again.

I told her it looks like several thousand dollars damage, considering it would probably require a new fender and probably a new paint job. I also told her I won't be fixing it (and I won't be making a claim w/ insurance either). That can be her reminder of her momentary lapse in attention. I'm glad she wasn't hurt and that aside from a few boards on the fence, there was no other damage and no injuries.

She was going about 10mph when she side-swiped the fence and broke several boards (split rail ranch style about 3 feet high). It's incidents like this that makes me wish we still had cars like my Dad's '67 Chrysler Newport. That thing was a battle tank with steel that was 3x thicker than this tin can. (Incidentally, my brother drove that car off of the road, over several boulders and into an oak tree).

And yes, I'm drinking a cold beer right now...

It is amazing how a few cold ones will help the overall outlook. I am glad you have calmed down. I too had a teenage girl lean to drive in my HHR, It was nerve wracking, at least she is ok, and the damage is not terrible. If she was texting when she did it...make her pay for all of it, LOL. Todd (Uma)