General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

is the hhr done ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
Hyper I would argue the loss of "retro"... all the muscles are in full swing and every single one of them is retro. Not to mention, all the "new" cars that are just plain throwbacks. Look at the new VW Bug... can we say 80's 9 1 1. Mini's, Alfa's, Jag's, shall I keep going? Just because the designer moved to China doesn't mean "retro" is dead. But, as much as I love my SS, my new idea of retro is a '80 2 door Cutlass. clean, mean, and not much chrome. great looking car. What happens when chevy gets there in thirty years? they seemed to have picked and choosed through the years, of what they wanted to re-invent... I'm still waiting for a re-incarnation of the Bel Air- on batteries no doubt.
Well the PT and HHR are gone. The next gen Camaro will be less retro. Ford will lose more retro look too with the Mustang based on rumblings. The Challanger has no where to go from where it is at now. What do you do to freshen it up.

The Bug is a hail mary sales were in the tank and they tried to butch it up so they could attract men to the car. Sales to males were so low that it was scary. What they did might work but many are betting against it. Either way it is based on another car so it was littl risk.

The 911 us not retro as it never really has changed. I just saw the oldest remaining preproduction 911 Sunday and it hold the same lines as it has today as it never changed.

Alfa and Jag retro?

Also you need to be careful not to confuse styling cues with full on retro design. There are thing that cars carry like a Vettes round tail light that are more tradition vs retro. But they even gave up the pop up headlamps.

The Mini is about the only retro that has shown staying power. It's world wide appeal is due to part styling and two it is a fun car to drive and crosses markets well. But even they are hard at work looking for ways to keep the styling and create new models. Coupes wagons and even a SUV based on the car are removing it from the retro theme.

The retro think is good for about 5 years and then it is hard to move on. Popularity makes it hard to change but not changing it makes it hard to repeat sales if the car looks just the same. You are Dammned if you do and Dammned if you don't.

I would not hold my breath on a Retro Belair. But I would recomend you be ready for a updated G8 based Chevy with a approx 440 HP DI VVT V8 in 2014. They will be limited but that is about as retro as they will be getting soon.

We can expect some styling trademarks to continue but the full on full monty retro will die down for a while. It is hard to move forward if you live too far in the past.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:14 PM

I like the fact that our cars are rare now. All the fleet sales and attrition on our low end cars will make ours that are kept up nice a cool GM addition to your car collection. It will never be a 66 corvette but still a very nice vehicle to own and to keep!