General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR --- Easy to Wash

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by halloffame
You need to buy some car wash that doesn't spot or streak. No need to dry.
I have spot less car wash. It is the fact that when you drive the water comes out and then the dirt and dust from the road sticks to the water and then drys. Not much you can do about that other than eliminate the water.

I dry the jambs and any place I can reach. The blow dryer has solved about 98% of it but the drain in the B pillar from the roof leaks out at the bottom and runs over the SS rockers. You can't dry what you can't reach.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:04 AM

Heathen I am, I don't dry.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:58 AM

Secrets to a painless (almost), spot free wash:

1. Optimum No Rinse
Name:  onr.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  11.4 KB

2. Air wand attached to leaf blower:
Name:  airwand.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  35.7 KB

Jim
Old 11-20-2011, 10:19 AM

Never easy, because the car continues to "cry" from the crevices. As far as blow-off, high quality commercial leaf blowers work and have no oil in discharge air stream like the homeowner ones. It's tried and true... My car is black...

Note that the fan housing is in the front, separated
from the engine; Exhaust is out of the rear.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:33 AM

The air dryer I recomend is the Airforce Master Blaster from Metro. I bought mine from Summit Racing and it save my relationship with my car.

It not only blow air in great volume but it also blows the air in a warm (Not Hot but Very Warm) blast where it not only removes the water but it also drys the surface. They have a 4 HP and a 8 HP version. I started with the 4 HP and moved up to the 8 HP. I never thought this would work any better than a leaf blower but I was so very wrong. Note this has two 4 HP electric motors and you can use one or both depending on how much air you need. What ever you do never let go of the hose as it will be like a runaway air hose.

This is one of the greatest tools to have in a garage if you like to keep a proper looking car. I own two black cars and even with Micro Fiber Towel it will mar the surface but with the air dryer it does a better touchless job. I will use the MF towel and some detailer just to to a final detail once the car is dry.

Also the blower removes water from wheels and tires and make them much easier to detail after a proper wash.

The blow dryer is not for everyone. It is for those who want a spotless car and have it as clean as possible. If you are ok with water drips and a clean but not spotless was then save your money. I keep my daily drivers nearly as clean as a show car so it is useful to me. Some people drink for stress I polish.

Note too I took the wheels off this unit and bolted it to a Harbor Freight moving cart with 4 casters. It now will follow me as I walk around the car where before it would fall over. This mod is one I would recomend.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

"Some people drink for stress I polish".

I thought I was the only one..(polishing away)..
Old 11-21-2011, 12:18 AM
Deceased

I love to wash them, nothing like spending some quality time with a bucket of soapy water and an HHR. Rather than going to the leaf blower/high tech dryer route, I use a squeegee designed to get most of the water off, then follow up with a chamois. Once they are back in the garage I pop the hood and open the doors to get the jambs and other areas.

To catch the drools of water that seep out from the window surrounds and such, I use a second chamois that's wrung out as much as possible to slurp the water up from the seams and problems areas. A good chamois sucks up water much better than a sponge, and by keeping Grandma's old wringer washer I have a quick and easy way to wring them out.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
"Some people drink for stress I polish".

I thought I was the only one..(polishing away)..
Some even drink and polish. I bet they have no stress.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
I love to wash them, nothing like spending some quality time with a bucket of soapy water and an HHR. Rather than going to the leaf blower/high tech dryer route, I use a squeegee designed to get most of the water off, then follow up with a chamois. Once they are back in the garage I pop the hood and open the doors to get the jambs and other areas.

To catch the drools of water that seep out from the window surrounds and such, I use a second chamois that's wrung out as much as possible to slurp the water up from the seams and problems areas. A good chamois sucks up water much better than a sponge, and by keeping Grandma's old wringer washer I have a quick and easy way to wring them out.
I used to use the aritifical Chamois but I gave up with the weepers. You can't dry what you can't touch. As for the water blades. be careful as I once caught a piece of grit and it scatched the pain. I though I had it all off but I must have caught it. I had to work our the mark. Silver is less not as bad but a black or other dark color I would not even think of using one on it.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:14 AM
Deceased

Only real Chamois, the artificial ones are terrible, you do have to be careful with the squeegee gadgets but I keep a bucket of clear rinse water to clean the squeegee between swipes.

We all have our favorite techniques and gadgets, my method works for me and I have never damaged a paint job.

Quick Reply: HHR --- Easy to Wash