General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR LS Swap Rat Rod

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018 | 11:15 AM

wooow
Old 02-07-2018 | 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by RattyHHR
It looks like the horseshoe clip for the emergency lever isn't crimped enough. Or is it the picture ? Is that the spring washer behind it? If so that goes on the inside of the brake shoe web.
Old 02-07-2018 | 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
It looks like the horseshoe clip for the emergency lever isn't crimped enough. Or is it the picture ?
Good eye CatMan!! I did crimp the horseshoe clip before I put the drum on. I had to take the brakes apart about 3 times after this picture Her dad came out and helped me for a couple hours. We had to do some massaging of the spreader bar to get the new shoes and hardware to fit right.
Old 02-09-2018 | 08:28 PM

Making lots of progress, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Mounted my tq converter lockup overide switch next to the shifter. That turned into a nightmare, but it's in there.

I removed the factory plastic gas pedal, and installed my new pedal. Was able to reuse the lower stud from the original pedal. I purchased a throttle cable from the same company, one of the cut to length jobs. Pretty nice, bolted one end to the firewall, attached my cable, and bolted the other end to my throttle cable/tv cable bracket. Got the bracket cut down to size and eelded. Adjusted the cable by pushing the button and going full throttle on the carb lever. Seems to be working correctly.

Got the alternator light wired up to let me know if it's not charging. Also got the speedometer cable ran up into the gauge cluster area.

Had a couple leaking valve stems, so I replaced all four. Fuel cell and headlight brackets showed up today. I've got the steel cage built for the cell and sprayed it with rubberized coating. I left about 1/2" around the whole thing so I could put in something protective and provide a nice snug fit.

Headlight brackets showed up today. Had to do some cutting and grinding on them, but I was able to get the headlights mounted. They don' sit flush, probably about 3/4" out, but nothing I'm worried about. I'll get the headlights and fuel tank installed tomorrow.

Not a whole lot left to be done. I scrubbed a f pressure washed the carpet yesterday. Got it out on some saw horses, I believe it's all dried up. Might get that put in tomorrow as well, be nice to get the interior back together. If all goes well tomorrow, I'll take it for a shake down run. Fuel lines will only need about 3' of line. Kept the factory lines all the way back, just gonna cut them where they turn in towards the center of the car. Fuel tank came with some nice braided lines and fittings, so I'm hoping for a smooth install.

Old 02-10-2018 | 04:20 AM

Ratty do you have the correct add on lever for the TV cable for the carb? If that cable is not adjusted correctly you'll smoke the trans. The TV cable right now by the picture is to loose. The Q-Jet you had on looked to be from a 92 Caddy which used a 200R4 trans. The correct TV lever is part of the primary throttle shaft.
Old 02-10-2018 | 10:59 AM

Thanks for looking out Cat. Its one of those optical illusions I believe. Right there at the end of the cable where it attaches to the carb there is a slight dent in the cable that makes it look like its loose. The throttle linkage doesnt move at all without pulling the tv cable. When the carb is at wide open throttle, the cable is pulled all the way out. And when the carb is at idle, there i no tension on the cable. This is correct right?
Old 02-10-2018 | 08:20 PM

Got the fuel tank plumbed up today. Took it for a little scenic cruise.

Old 02-10-2018 | 09:21 PM

It's alive
Old 02-10-2018 | 09:29 PM
Banned

bravo A+++++++++++++++
Old 02-10-2018 | 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
It's alive

Quick Reply: HHR LS Swap Rat Rod