General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR LS Swap Rat Rod

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017 | 07:56 AM

Ratty
I was making a joke about your welds. I didn't mean to criticize in any way.
Glad you did find wire that was more user friendly.
Old 10-12-2017 | 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
Ratty
I was making a joke about your welds. I didn't mean to criticize in any way.
Glad you did find wire that was more user friendly.
Lol, no worries. Worked out great
Old 10-12-2017 | 08:22 PM

Got started messing with the wiring today. I grounded all the grounds I found on the wire loom, made sure everything was connected, and hooked up a battery. Lights, Windows, radio, blower fan controls, everything is working perfect. Dash was reading low engine power and a few other messages. My plan is to shorten the wiring for the engine harness, and build a box on the firewall to hide all the wiring. The engine harness for the ls will be a stand alone, so it shouldnt need to be connected to my wiring anywhere. Im thinking push button ignition to get around using the key to start. Summit/Jegs sells them for about $40. I'm thinking this is the most simple route, but I'm open to suggestions.
Old 10-15-2017 | 05:58 PM

Got some suspension work done over the weekend. Got the upper and lower control arm bushings and ball joints in. Cleaned up and painted the springs yesterday evening, I reckon I'm ready to put the lower control arms and springs on and attach the spindle. Also started bundling the excess wire up and got a bolt in the fuse panel box.

Old 10-15-2017 | 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Painted ??? Wait a minute there. That goes against the purpose. Thought the title was "Rat Rod."
The rustier the better.
Old 10-15-2017 | 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Painted ??? Wait a minute there. That goes against the purpose. Thought the title was "Rat Rod."
The rustier the better.

Haha I know right!! I guess I better get off my high horse and scuff these up If I was staying out here in Cali I'd leave the patina, but Nashville is home. And home eats bare metal It'll look nice for the drive home, but my chirt roads will have it looking ratty in no time
Old 10-16-2017 | 06:46 PM
Banned

just build it and enjoy it ,,,,,,,,, we don't need paint its a added cost ,,,,,
Old 10-16-2017 | 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by hellshotrod
just build it and enjoy it ,,,,,,,,, we don't need paint its a added cost ,,,,,
Maybe I'll name it Rusty
Old 10-16-2017 | 08:34 PM

Hells Hot Rod, you weren't kidding about my girlfriends father being a stand up guy!! I got my control arms on yesterday, but could find the right spring compressor before it got dark. Come home today, and find this

Slick ol man done installed my springs!! I reckon it's time to start hunting front wheels and tires. Subframe came with a steering box, but no tie rods or actual steering associated parts. Found a lot from Summit for around $200 that was an "upgraded" rebuild kit. I'm gonna price everything at Oriellys, so we'll see what the difference is. Started a big job today, so it's back to weekends and evenings wrenching on this. Might have a line on a fresh carb'd and. If the deal is good, I might just find a quadrant and rebuild it to obtain some decent mileage. An overdrive tranny will still be a must. We'll see, she'll be burning tires wether she's electronically controlled or not
Old 10-17-2017 | 07:37 PM

Got all my steering parts and front shocks ordered this afternoon. Oriellys has a $30 coupon if you spend $150 online and have it shipped to your home. Plus free shipping. Inner/outer tie rods, adjusting sleeves, steering link, idler arm, and Monroe front shocks for $166 to my door.

Quick Reply: HHR LS Swap Rat Rod