General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 02:22 PM

Whatever you decide, I would suggest going with a name that is not similar to other National HHR events. Pick something that stands out on it's own.

I would also recommend that you avoid selecting dates too close to other HHR events already planned. If dates are too close, it may cause people planning to attend both events to have to select one event or the other.

Keep in touch (in a friendly way) with other HHR event organizers so that you can feed off each other with ideas and suggestions without duplicating activities. Offer to take turns advertising each others events on each others websites or swap event flyers to display at other HHR events to reach HHR communities across the US and not just in the NE area of the US.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:37 PM

We are definitely hoping to take the Nationals on the road in the future. We just don't have enough members on the coasts. Once we have board members who are willing to take the lead on organizing it, we will travel. Our long term goal is a three year rotation, east coast, mid-west, west coast. We are committed to Branson for 2009 and 2010. We hope that our board of directors will get enough coastal members to make this happen.

The main thread for the 2009 HHRitage Nationals can be found here https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/2009-hhritage-nationals%3B-july-23-26-2009-a-17156/ and the HHRitage Foundation website is at www.hhritage.com
Old 09-04-2008, 06:40 PM

I can only speak for myself when I say, I doubt your board of directors will be able to increase membership on the coasts when you keep the HHRitage Nationals in one place for three straight years. What makes you think those of us on the coasts will come to Branson next year or the year after? You have to take the Nationals to the people....not have the people come to the Nationals.

I am a member of the SDC (Studebaker Drivers Club). Our nationals travel the U.S., never in one time zone twice. It only makes since, those on the coasts will go to the nationals once it is convenient for them to go.

I'm not being hard nosed about this, nor am I attempting to be a smartass. I had every intention of going to the HHRitage Nationals this year, but when you have two kids in college, a mortgage and gas prices well above the national average, you have to make sacrifices. If the Nationals had been closer to the East Coast, I would have been able to attend. The situation for me isn't going to be any better next year or the year after that. I won't be able to attend, due to the location and the costs involved in getting there.

I certainly wish the best for the HHRitage Foundation. As I stated in the beginning, I can only speak for myself. May I suggest a pole of our membership to see how many would attent the nationals next year in Branson, based on current prices in gas and availability.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by JeffsHHR
I doubt your board of directors will be able to increase membership on the coasts when you keep the HHRitage Nationals in one place for three straight years. What makes you think those of us on the coasts will come to Branson next year or the year after? You have to take the Nationals to the people....not have the people come to the Nationals.
I think you may have misunderstood what Mike said:

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
We just don't have enough members on the coasts. Once we have board members who are willing to take the lead on organizing it, we will travel.
I think his point was majority of the Board Members for the HHRitage Foundation live in that region thus making it easier to plan such a large event. When the Foundation starts seeing an expansion of Board Members on either coasts those Board Members would be able to handle setting up the event. (Correct me if I'm wrong Mike )

As to the willingness of coastal members attending a Meet in the middle of the country, all I can say is you never know. I had Members from New Jersey, Missouri, and Florida attend my meet in Ohio. Also, as the organizer of the 1st and 2nd Annual HHR Cedar Point Meet, I can tell you there is alot of work that goes into an event like this. With a couple years under their belt the HHRitage Foundation will have created stronger ties with charities and Event Sponsors making it easier to plan an event once it starts moving around the country.

If you truely want to plan this event, go for it . If you have any questions, I think any of us that have planned these kind of events would be willing to try and help answer them
Old 09-04-2008, 07:58 PM

I would have been more than happy to go for it. It is obvious to me, since the board of directors made the decision only 30 days after having the event, to have it in the same place again, they want it there.

Please understand...i'm not upset about this at all, nor am I taking any of this personally. I'm just putting into written words what i'm thinking. What seems to be a fault of mine, I guess.

Guys, I find it hard to believe I am the only one out there who thinks like this.

Hillside - You had your meet at Cedar Point. I'm sure the people who went there, didn't go just for your meet. Cedar Point is one of the best rollercoaster parks in the world. I've been there several times and loved it. I can understand why people went to your meet.

Look...I'm not going to beat a dead dog here. It is what it is. I have a complete understanding of why it is and appreciate all of you taking the time to read my thoughts on the subject.

Again, I wish the best for the HHRitage Foundation. Let me know when you decide to expand and venture out to the "coasts". I'll then join the charge.

Adieu
Old 09-04-2008, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by JeffsHHR
You had your meet at Cedar Point. I'm sure the people who went there, didn't go just for your meet. Cedar Point is one of the best rollercoaster parks in the world. I've been there several times and loved it. I can understand why people went to your meet.
Actually only about half that attended went to Cedar Point.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:39 PM

I think you can do it either way and still be successful. It's just what ever the organizing committe decides. I attend the sports memoribilia "National" periodically and it travels the country each year. However, I went to the Street Machine Nationals for 10 years in a row, all in the Midwest. This event used to host 5000 cars and entries sold out in a couple days. People came from across the country, even the world to attend. I do think in this time of an energy crisis, you have the best chance of getting the most people by keeping it centrally located. Easterners might not go to CA, or west coasters might not go to Jersey, but everyone can go to the midwest for half the cost of a cross country trip!
Old 09-04-2008, 08:43 PM

I belong to the TDI Club. We have TDI Fest every year for the last 9 years.
The past labor day weekend it was held Mason Ohio at the Kings Island resort.I attended this year in my HHR SS there were well over 100 TDI's in attendance! It has been held in a different location each year starting in 2000it has been held 3 times in the the East, 2 times in Canada,3 times in the Mid west and once in the southwest..........I have attended 8 of 9! and each year the attendance is a little higher but always a different organizing committee! They sometimes have there struggles! The HHR folks are definately and different type of group! I have been to 2 HHR GTG's!
I will attempt to attend the HHR Nationals next year! I have always wanted to go to Branson Mo!
You can always have regional GTG's!
Old 09-04-2008, 08:44 PM

Hillsdale is Correct in the reason the Nationals will be in Branson the next two years. The majority of the Board of Directors (which I am one) are in this region. It would be extremely difficult for us to plan a National meet at a place far away from our region. When we have more members in the coastal regions who can put together a National event, and be able to run the event at that site, it will happen. For now, Branson makes the most sense for what we have in place. Also, the Ramada in Branson has really stepped up and gave us everything we need to put this event together, including blocks of rooms and a large area for the show. We appreciate your opinions Jeff, and understand why you feel as you do. I sincerely hope we are able to put together a National event on one of the coasts in 2011.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:03 AM

I think all nationals should be located in a central area. We can all meet in the middle. If the East coast wants to meet, pick a spot in the middle of the East coast. Same with the West, North, and South and have board members plan their events. Call these Regional meets and then have the Nationals in Branson. Then all the Regions can meet in the middle. Just my 2 cents worth.
Just wish Nashville was the center. then I could save money on gas, food, and boarding. Branson is a 10 hour drive for me and nashville is 1. Guess if I want a meet close to me then I need to do the leg work that goes into planning such an event.
No way!!! Branson is someone elses headache to plan and I can just show up and enjoy their planning.
THANKS TO ALL THAT PUT THE BRANSON MEET TOGETHER.