General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR quality compared to perceived Foreign

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 04:47 PM

HHR quality compared to perceived Foreign

You frequently hear that cars made in Japan have a perceived quality, but that it isn't real as compared to American cars. Well I LOVE my HHR, but have to admit, as compared to my 2 previous made in Japan models, the quality lacks. The HHR I have had 6 months. I have been to dealer 4 times. Twice for our of balance/out of round tires, bumping....once for tailgate rattle...now my outside temp gauge sticks. My previous car for 3 years I never went back for anything except oil changes..it was a Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix). Car before that, for 3 years I never went back for anything except oil changes. It was a Honda CRV. So although the problems on the HHR are minor..they are a pain in the butt..and for six years previous I had nothing, compared to 4 in 6 months with the HHR...yet I love the HHR :). But likely will go back to foreign next time.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:51 PM

I hear you and second your thoughts!! The little things can be just as annoying as a a big problem especially if you have to keep taking it in. However, I do love the HHR overall.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:57 PM

I really dig the HHR and if I wasn't putting 36K a year on my car I would probably get one. I currently drive a 05 Matrix and in 60K miles it has not failed me once...not even a hiccup. Engine wise that is....had a problem with the front windows coming off the track but since then it has been fine. I will say that the one HHR I did test drive left a bit to be desired....the computer said I avged 3 mph after test driving it for 20 miles...not a good first impression unless I missed something..the rental I had back in Oct was fine though

As I'm sitting here typing this I'm looking directly at a brand new HHR parked in my neighbors driveway...he works for Coke and this is what they must have given him in place of his "Coke Caravan"...looks neat in white with the Coke logo on the front doors.

Goose
Old 03-19-2007, 05:08 PM

Keep in mind that most ANY 1st or 2nd year model is going to have more than normal annoying small problems.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:33 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Goose
I really dig the HHR and if I wasn't putting 36K a year on my car I would probably get one. I currently drive a 05 Matrix and in 60K miles it has not failed me once...not even a hiccup. Engine wise that is....had a problem with the front windows coming off the track but since then it has been fine. I will say that the one HHR I did test drive left a bit to be desired....the computer said I avged 3 mph after test driving it for 20 miles...not a good first impression unless I missed something..the rental I had back in Oct was fine though

As I'm sitting here typing this I'm looking directly at a brand new HHR parked in my neighbors driveway...he works for Coke and this is what they must have given him in place of his "Coke Caravan"...looks neat in white with the Coke logo on the front doors.

Goose
I LOVE my HHR!
Hey Goose, you should snap a pic of your neighbor's ride and post it on here!
I would love to see the Coke logos!
Old 03-19-2007, 05:43 PM

Talking

Last edited by SindyDix; 03-19-2007 at 08:18 PM. Reason: quote deleted
Old 03-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Banned

I've never owned a Japanese vehicle and never will. IMAO it's a disgrace when an American purchases a Japanese vehicle regardless if it was assembled here or not. I don't have a perceived quality about Japanese vehicles because hands down we make some of the finest in the world! Quality complaints about an economy vehicle are pointless. If you want quality buy a luxury vehicle.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by captain howdy
I've never owned a Japanese vehicle and never will. IMAO it's a disgrace when an American purchases a Japanese vehicle regardless if it was assembled here or not. I don't have a perceived quality about Japanese vehicles because hands down we make some of the finest in the world! Quality complaints about an economy vehicle are pointless. If you want quality buy a luxury vehicle.

What is understood, doesn't need to be discussed, El Capitan has spoken!

Funny how you never hear about Mini owners dissing their cars even though they're probably the worst "niche" car for reliability.

If you don't like it, there's always a Toyota dealership down the street open 7 days a week that'll be happy to set you up with a fine Camry and take that awful HHR off your hands.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
If you don't like it, there's always a Toyota dealership down the street open 7 days a week that'll be happy to set you up with a fine Camry and take that awful HHR off your hands.
If you notice we both stated that we do like our HHR's!
Old 03-19-2007, 06:54 PM

I think the fact that the HHR is only into it's second year of production should also be taken into concideration.It is based upon the Cobalt platform that is almost as new.I am old enough to remember the first few years of the Japanese car introduction to this country..They had their problems too.One of my cousins in Jersey had one of the first Toyotas in the area.He had problems with that car as well.Every new vehicle has bugs that show up after being in use for a while.The defining issue for GM is how they will react to the problems and the effectiveness of their remedies.The Japanese have shown their ability to deal with the problems and build upon the lessons.I hope GM and the American car industry in general can do that as well.The future of the domestic car industry will depend upon it.Then again,maybe I'm taking too many pain meds right now to think clearly. Just my

Quick Reply: HHR quality compared to perceived Foreign