General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR quality compared to perceived Foreign

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
God, seriously, I just wish the anti-HHR trolls would just leave us alone. Goose doesn't even own one and he's posting random crap about American cars sucking. Guess what Goose? Your Matrix was designed by both Toyota AND GM engineers and built at the NUMMI plant in CA!

Seriously, this is just a freakin' waste of time. I have 27,800 miles on my car to date--8,000 in the last 4 months. No bad brakes, no sandblasting, no electrical hiccups, no noisy engine--NOTHING WRONG. It's also a year one car, purchased October 28, 2005. I think complaining about fuel mileage and brake wear is foolish because everyone is going to get different MPG and brake life. Complaining about stupid crap like four-speed transmissions and drum brakes is also dumb just because I'd rather have proven parts that get the job done cheaper and more reliably than newer designs that have been rushed to production. GM tried using the japanese Aisin 5-speed auto in the Saturn ION and VUE, but it was the worst transmission they'd ever put in a car. This is the SAME transmission used by Honda in the current Accord and Civic models, and was recalled by them the SAME TIME GM had to recall it in the ION. So they decide to switch back to the 4T40 until the 6T40/60 were ready, which it is available now in the Saturn Aura.

BTW, which five-speed auto is available on the Corolla?
Awsome, couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member

Really ironic......

I was reading all the responses on this thread and I received a call from a friend in Houston, asking for an opinion.

He has a 2004 Maxima, pretty well loaded, so it would be a moderately expensive vehicle. Has just under 80,000 miles and it's maintained reasonably well (mostly dealer service). Well it appears his trans is "giving out" with hard downshifts. Took it to the dealer and they want $4800 to repair (an independent trans. repair place gave a $4100 price).

My point.....everyone has a story to support the position they take on this thread issue. But, I have heard from many people that if something "serious" goes wrong with your "foriegn" vehicle it is much more expensive to repair. Don't know if it's absolutely true. But, this is the 5th one of personal experience.

HHRcrafty.....your correct about the brake and mileage issues, but people will not believe it and continue to post and complain.

Oh, is the Aisin the manual of choice for the Solstice and Sky?? Don't know...asking. But, I do know that many complain about the harshness of the trans. and some type of noise.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:33 PM

God, seriously, I just wish the anti-HHR trolls would just leave us alone. Goose doesn't even own one and he's posting random crap about American cars sucking. Guess what Goose? Your Matrix was designed by both Toyota AND GM engineers and built at the NUMMI plant in CA!

lol hey now! Not a GM basher...no not at all.....I wouldn't even be here if I didn't really dig the HHR

yes I do know that the Matrix was a joint venture between GM and Toyota...however the Matrix is not built in the NUMMI plant...it is built in Cambridge Ontario.

I don't think I quite said that all American cars suck...I do know that the Saturn Vue that I had in fact did "suck" I also know that my wifes Saturn Vue, same year and model is a gem with no issues in 90K miles and 3 years other than maintenance. I almost pulled the trigger on an Impala before I bought the Vue....almost...

It sounds like you got yourself a nice HHR that is running like a top with no issues The one that I rented in San Antonio seemed like a gem also other than there was a bit of shudder from the brakes already at 1500 miles but what the hell...rental and all.

I'm not here to bash...trust me...maybe I do have a pre conceived notion that a Toyota or Honda will outlast a domestic given how many miles I put on a car...if anything I am here to try to disprove this notion :twothumbs

No anti-HHR troll here...I do like to see what kind of issues people are having with their cars though. Information like that is very helpful in making a decision....I'd visit any car forum that had people such as yourself on it..these places are a goldmine of information...you hear things about the car that people like and don't like..this is a great forum...lot's of activity and input

Goose
Old 03-22-2007, 09:37 PM

Don't mind him. He likes to call people out. When I first joined he called me out as not having an HHR too . If I was going to lie I'd lie big!
Old 03-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
Don't mind him. He likes to call people out. When I first joined he called me out as not having an HHR too . If I was going to lie I'd lie big!
Still waiting on pics...I also thought you had an '06 the way you've been talkin' the last year.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:46 AM

Still waiting on pics...I also thought you had an '06 the way you've been talkin' the last year.
Pics are in gallery and its an 07 thanks.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
Pics are in gallery and its an 07 thanks.
is that a knight in your avy?

checkmate!
Old 03-23-2007, 06:45 AM

I really feel badly for Goose - if only he'd gotten that Impala instead of the Vue just think of the extra sleep he'd have gotten at night?

Seriously, I have defended GM a lot, but what the hell DIDN'T go wrong with the Vue? Wow.

Hopefully the new one is better. Although, as far as SUVs go, I'd be saving for the new Acadia. That thing looks pretty good!

In any case, if someone is here then surely they are at least thinking of getting an HHR, so they should be welcomed. If they question the quality of NA built cars then we'll just have to educate them

Happy Friday!!!
Old 03-23-2007, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by krishaynes
I really feel badly for Goose - if only he'd gotten that Impala instead of the Vue just think of the extra sleep he'd have gotten at night?

Seriously, I have defended GM a lot, but what the hell DIDN'T go wrong with the Vue? Wow.

Hopefully the new one is better. Although, as far as SUVs go, I'd be saving for the new Acadia. That thing looks pretty good!

In any case, if someone is here then surely they are at least thinking of getting an HHR, so they should be welcomed. If they question the quality of NA built cars then we'll just have to educate them

Happy Friday!!!

I hadn't heard of the Acadia so i went here and found out about it. Looks promising.

http://www.gmc.com/acadia/acadia/ind...seo=goo_acadia

I have always liked the looks of the Nissan Murano and it's Infinity brother.
Looks like GM took some cues form them and shrunk an Envoy in the process. I like GMC cars. I almost bought an Envoy XUV
http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/GMC-XUV/
but the one on the lot only had a six cyl and seemed under powered. I bought its cousin the fast depreciating Rainier with a V* and am quite happy. Heck, it gets the same mileage as our GMC Safari AWD van did AND has heated seats and a TV. Its loaded and fun to drive. Everyone in a wet or winter climate should have at least one 4WD in their stable.

GO GM and get a bullet proof six speed automatic in our cars, OK?
They have one in the Acadia. Let's hope it pans out.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:09 PM

Buy American

Quick Reply: HHR quality compared to perceived Foreign