General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR quality compared to perceived Foreign

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 08:41 AM

Media hype may steer someone to go look at a car but consumers arent idiots. Looks like alot of people (besides the Big 3) are still in denial. As far as cars being fashionable. Well duh!!!!! Why do you think they're redesigned every few years. If people weren't looking for something new, fashionable, better we would all be driving around in square boxes! Look at the reasons a lot of people bought their HHR, Styling!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:48 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
If people weren't looking for something new, fashionable, better we would all be driving around in square boxes! Look at the reasons a lot of people bought their HHR, Styling!!!
Hmm....Scion xb and Honda Element owners are really behing the times then, right Hills?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by jx3
Hmm....Scion xb and Honda Element owners are really behing the times then, right Hills?
Nope, they just happen to like that styling!! Note the "we would all" part!!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:50 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
Nope, they just happen to like that styling!!
Then doesn't that qualify as "fashionable"?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by jx3
Then doesn't that qualify as "fashionable"?
To some. I myself kinda like the Element but not the Xb.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:08 AM

I find both the xB and the Element stylish in a "form follows function" kind of way.

If you could buy a Scion in Canada, the xB would have been attractive to me. Hey, it's a shoebox! Kinda like my 4-dr Sidekick.

I like cars that get an emotional response. I don't think anyone can look at an HHR, Element, or an xB and just yawn. You might not like them all, but you'll notice them all right!

The media hype surrounding foreign cars is a little out of hand. That is why I did not renew my subscription to Motor Trend. Car and Driver isn't that bad, but I can name you some of their "top ten" for 2010 right now:
Best Family Car - Honda Accord
Best Sport Sedan - BMW 3-Series
Best Economy Car - Toyota/Honda Something
Hey, I just saved them some time!

That is why I enjoy readinsg canadiandriver.com. At least they are fair.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by krishaynes
The media hype surrounding foreign cars is a little out of hand. That is why I did not renew my subscription to Motor Trend.
AMEN, BROTHER! I get so damn sick of Motor Trend being an import whoring ground, which let's be honest, is all it's become. Positive comments about domestics have become extremely few and far between lately, while they're one of the first to drool over a new import ... Toyota in particular (grrr).
Old 03-21-2007, 04:31 PM

I can understand that some people may prefer one automobile magazine to another but when different magazines are coming to similar conclusions there must be some something going on.

Maybe the japanese are somehow controlling our media sources and paying them off so that they can make more money and have a better precieved quality??? Maybe it's all a big conspiracy? I know people love a good conspiracy every now and then.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:59 PM

It's not necessarily a conspiracy, and actually the other magazines will at least give U.S. products a chance before ripping them a new one. Motor Trend does not give the same courtesy. Matter of fact, on occasion MT has been so far off base it isn't funny. Case in point: 2005 MT Truck of the Year was the Honda Ridgeline, in part because of towing capacity. Apparently nobody at MT ever tried to tow anything with the Ridgeline, because it can't tow anything heaver than 1500 lbs. without problems.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:12 PM

I don't necessarily know why the Ridgeline was the truck of the year becuase I hadn't read that article. Car and Driver did a comparison in June 2005 of the Colorado, Dakota, Tacoma, Frontier and Ridgeline and they found the Ridgeline to be at the top of the list (the order I named these trucks is from last to first in the test.)

So it seems like the Ridgeline has some merit based on this test and it might have some merit for truck of the year. I'm assuming it won truck of the year becuase it offered innovative features that other trucks didn't have.

If MT has something good to say about it as does C&D then there are two major sources that are in some sort of agreement.

Quick Reply: HHR quality compared to perceived Foreign