General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR Replacement/ Chevy Orlando

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 08:27 PM

The Cruze is going to replace the Cobalt in 2010 'ish with the Cobalt being discontinued as soon as the Cruze is in the dealer channel (of course, everything is always subject to change).

Since the HHR is based off the same platform as the Cobalt and the Orlando is based off the same platform as the Cruze, I can't believe that the HHR will survive the death of the Cobalt. I could be wrong, but why have two vehicles compete with each other so closely as the HHR and Orlando.

You will have the Chevy Spark coming in on the small end (Aveo 'ish sized) and the Orlando getting 30+ mpg with a 4 cylinder (the Cruze sedan, again the same platform, is stated to get 40 mpg, so the wagon version has to do at least 30+) so while the HHR is selling a lot, I personally believe a lot of people are like me, bought it not because it was retro, but because it was practical and a lot of bang for the buck. If I could have purchased an Orlando for about the same $$ I would have chosen the modern look over the retro design. Don't get me wrong, I like how the HHR looks, but that was not a prime buying decision. I cross-shopped a Vibe and a Caliber, just thought the Chevy offer the best value and features package for the money.

As far as the size, I'll wait to see one live in person before I worry about it. I mean, it is known that the Cruze is bigger than a Cobalt, so it makes sense that it's wagon is bigger than the Cobalt's wagon, but again, I'll wait and see.

Not trying to cross-link, but here's an interview that discusses the Cruze.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...as-ming-73952/
Old 01-11-2009, 09:15 PM

just cant get myself to like the Orlando concept. Really looks too much like other models on the market. Before the HHR I test drove a Caliber and did not like it. Felt to cramped in the drivers seat for my liking. This concept just does not draw me in.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:28 PM

i like the front end and the interior. if i were to get one the hhr would stay. i like it too much. we will see tho. i can see the hhr staying a little longer than the cobalt but not long. unless they decide to update the platform the hhr is on.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:43 PM

I'd rather see the next "HHR" look more like a '63 to '66 Chevy... if they're gonna change it. Stay retro.

I'd never buy that Orlando. Never ever, just ugly.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:57 PM

why replace the hhr, its a great lookin car and good economy box car mechanically speaking..
Old 01-12-2009, 12:07 AM

+1 on that thing looking like an Aztek ..... YUK
Old 01-12-2009, 12:11 AM

Again, I don't view this as an HHR replacement. Maybe a comeback for the Chevy Uplander
Old 01-12-2009, 12:23 AM

How can you say compete??They are nothing alike.The HHR was not built to compete in the SUV market..its a retro compact..made to be different. In a sense its a combo of everything made, but not anything alike.The SUV's on thre other hand are geared to wards the ex minivan and yuppie and well its new and i gotta have it crowd.Soccermoms, kids to class and family trips and and and....take a look at the group here..do we look anything like those types? yeah sure Im sure its used for such..but that was NOT the reason it was bought,correct? Compete..thats like saying the Hummer is competing with the vette! The HHR is more of a bare bones sport vehicle.Wheres the luxuries that the SUV's have? Ain;t non! Its plastic..its highly modable...it ever has a turbo with unrealistic HP for the average crowd! Soccor moms don't need a 14 sec car,,they need grunt!To haul all the groceries and neighbor kids and pets and wide screen TV's! Wow..you all amaze me.If it were to compete..don't you think the advertising would have been more evident?Where as,,there is practically none.Its a hot rod to compete with the other 4 cyl hotrods.Thats why it looks like a retro panel...............
Old 01-12-2009, 12:26 AM

This is the one of the ugliest cars i have ever laid my eye balls on. looks like some crazy mix of crap with a honda element rear on it. I would love to see the HHR redone into a bigger car/crossover with seven passenger seating, but kept the same body styling i think that would be sweet.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kelevanwinkle
it looks like an updated pontiac aztek
Originally Posted by GTOMIKE
Nothing could be that ugly
That's what I thought until the 1st gen Scion Xb came out. That thing fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. It made an Element look elegant.

Quick Reply: HHR Replacement/ Chevy Orlando