General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR Replacement Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 11:10 AM

HHR Replacement Vehicle

After killing off the Orlando for USA a few months ago, I haven't heard anything about whether any small "crossover SUV" will be made by Chevrolet / GM. Is anything new? What are they building at the HHR's (and previously Aztech) plant in Mexico after 2001, Aveo?

Doctuh
Old 12-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Founding Member

The Amp

This vehicle is based off the Volt so that all the haters can hate it too.

Name:  volt-mpv5-630.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  65.4 KB
Old 12-21-2010, 11:44 AM

Vom

Volt, Ohm, Milliamp meters....

So, we have the Amp (this apparently is a real internal name). Did anyone do Ohm yet?

Ah, indeed new public information:

http://loadinform.com/2011-chevrolet-amp/

http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/...e-by-chevrolet

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...roit-auto-show
Old 12-21-2010, 11:47 AM

There will be a small crossover / wagon 'hole' in the Chevy lineup without the HHR, so I'm sure GM is working on something. Could even be a small minivan based off the Cruze. Heard something in the wind on that.....
Old 12-21-2010, 07:28 PM

Why does everyone think theres a replacement for the HHR?? This is a one off vehicle...retro rebuild....not a full production run model like the ..say..Impala..thats been around for many years...its a unique vehicle...not a SUV..not a wagon..not a crossbreed...its a RETRO.....Maybe GMs answer to the PT, though I dont know why. Theyve sold every one they ever made, so obviously they never planned for a longer run...no replacement...no catagory...just a fun car that a few of us grabbed ahold of. They dont need to replace it,,,its successful...high milage...good reliability...multi purpose....and they buried it....go figure.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:26 PM

For me, retro had nothing to do with it.

I was looking for a reasonably priced late model used vehicle which was well-equipped, versatile, and could haul a lot. I already owned a Honda S2000, and I needed to add something practical. I bought my 2007 2LT for $9k in January and customized it as shown below. I run cars into the ground. 10 or 15 years from now, I will be looking for a vehicle with similar utility to replace my old HHR with by then over 200k. GM vehicles may not depreciate so rapidly and prices may not be as low. However, a compact car-based vehicle with decent handling and acceleration, a lot of space, and no off-road cachet will still have a market. GMs remaining SUVs are too big and off-roady, and neither Cruze wagon nor Orlando is set to come to USA. That leaves a gap. Amp will fit, but will be pricey due to its complex, cutting-edge technology, particularly when new. Hopefully as Cruze is to Volt, there will also be an Amp spinoff without all the electric goodies that still gets decent mileage and costs a lot less.

Last edited by Doctuh; 12-21-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Why does everyone think theres a replacement for the HHR?? This is a one off vehicle...retro rebuild....not a full production run model like the ..say..Impala..thats been around for many years...its a unique vehicle...not a SUV..not a wagon..not a crossbreed...its a RETRO.....Maybe GMs answer to the PT, though I dont know why. Theyve sold every one they ever made, so obviously they never planned for a longer run...no replacement...no catagory...just a fun car that a few of us grabbed ahold of. They dont need to replace it,,,its successful...high milage...good reliability...multi purpose....and they buried it....go figure.
To your point, there was never a "replacement" for the SSR either. Retros are simply unique and niche in character. There really cannot be any replacement for any of these vehicles (HHR, SSR, PT, Prowler).
Old 12-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Deceased

I think the next wave of niche vehicles will probably be ones that emphasize their "greenness" or hyper economy. We may see more retro cars and trucks but probably not in this decade, they've just run their course. If I were hard pressed to pick anything to replace the HHR's with it would probably be the US spec Fiat 500, if I were very brave.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by 87silver
To your point, there was never a "replacement" for the SSR either. Retros are simply unique and niche in character. There really cannot be any replacement for any of these vehicles (HHR, SSR, PT, Prowler).
Yes, but forgive me if I'm wrong - the SSR (which I still love the looks of to this day) was a bust. The HHR was a strong success.

As I've said earlier - the HHR is one of the most versatle cars on the market today. It is small, but not too small, the rear hatch holds just enough. Good seating capacity. Easy to drive for my wife who feels lost in a large SUV. I've thought of a CJ type of Jeep, but no rear seating to speak of. (and cold in Winter)
Believe it or not, was looking at my neighbor's Caliper couple of days ago and it is very much like the HHR storage wise and seating. Problem is its a Chrysler product and I'm not impressed with their quality.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

GMC Terrain, but no Panel version..

So probably an old S-10 Extreme Blazer

Quick Reply: HHR Replacement Vehicle