General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR Rides Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 10:32 AM

HHR Rides Vehicles

Here in Atlanta area, Year One is located. They were one of the four Pro Shops, given a HHR early to modify, for the rides show and marketing of the HHR. I went to a local Stereo Shop, where they are going do my tint. This Stereo Shop, had done the Stereo work on Year One's HHR. His comment was that, Chevy was taking back that vehicle and destroying, because it was not a production vehicle and did not have all the safety items, ie. air bags.

I wonder if this is really true, and if all the Sema ones fall into this marketing category. I know darkside shop frequents here, maybe they can share more info.

I know many want some of the custom parts from these cars. Hey I want the grill from the Godfather custom, before destoying, some had some great ideas on the rear lift-gates, list goes on and on. I find it hard to believe they are destroying, the complete cars.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:35 AM

I don't see how they could. I guess if it was under a contract or something they could do whatever, but they got some major money put into those cars so I dunno how or if they could do it.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:43 AM
Banned

That is ridiculous. They wouldn't destroy a show car because it doesn't have air bags. They are show cars and probably still making rounds. After that they'll probably end up in storage somewhere or in the hands of private collectors.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:53 AM

GM destroys all pre release test vehicles, etc. They could fall into that catagory. All the new ZO6's out at the proving grounds here will be or already have been destroyed.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:55 AM

I agree sounds ridiculous. Darkside? Darkside? They might know more.

The Stereo guy here, may be full of it...
Old 12-14-2005, 10:55 AM
Banned

But they weren't test vehicles. They were show cars.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
But they weren't test vehicles. They were show cars.
Right but they were pre-production vehicles like the test cars are. They probably are missing items that make them legal airbags, emissions stuff etc. Look at it from GM's standpoint. That car doesn't get destroyed and somewhere down the road falls into the hand of a regular Joe who wrecks it then sue because it was never equipped with air bags or the proper saftey equipment.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:59 AM

They could of been test vehicles, not complete, early realeases, I am sure it was a Marketing deal, paid and stated up front to the shops.

Most likely liability thing for GM.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Banned

Good point. I guess I just don't want it to be true.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by snksknr94
Right but they were pre-production vehicles like the test cars are. They probably are missing items that make them legal airbags, emissions stuff etc. Look at it from GM's standpoint. That car doesn't get destroyed and somewhere down the road falls into the hand of a regular Joe who wrecks it then sue because it was never equipped with air bags or the proper saftey equipment.
Based on some business law classes that I have taken. The safety reason sounds very logical. However the cars could of came with the right features but then based on the alteration could be fit as "not safe for driving" Plus cars has to past inspections and emissions tests and be approved from the DOT. Plus is could be possible the insurance companys might not want to insure them either. But I cant see Chevy destorying them either. They are unique items that can have unlimted vaule based on it being unique and one of a kind. Most likely they would be in storage for enginers to examin for ideas. Sorry just my two cents

Quick Reply: HHR Rides Vehicles