General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR Side Impact

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 07:37 AM

you can file a complaint with the nhtsa, and notify your insurance company.

since you were not seriously injured, thankfully. don't expect to file a lawsuit

here is the link to file a complaint
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Last edited by stephenm; 08-17-2009 at 07:58 AM. Reason: linkage
Old 08-17-2009, 08:07 AM

Yes they were an option in 08 and it is not too uncommon to see side back not release.

I have seen a few cars with hard side impacts with no deployment. Not sre why but it may have to do with the way the car is hit.

FYI non depolyment is seen on all makes and models. Not GM only. There is a fine line on getting them to deply when you need them and not. In my case mine went off when I did not need them and I ended up with burned , brused and bleeding from a air bag in an accident I would have walked away from unharmed.

Air bags are powerful and difficult safety tool to control in all cases. Accident can vary and the bags are not fool proof. The best thing you can do is belt up and hope they work as planned. I my case I did not need them and they did more damage to me than the crash. Go figure. They are not pain less by any measure.

The Goverment knows this, the auto companies know this and the isurance companies know this. No need to report it.

I am glad it was not worse and you are safe.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6

FYI non depolyment is seen on all makes and models. Not GM only.
I heard Toyota was notorious for this
Old 08-17-2009, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by stephenm
I heard Toyota was notorious for this
I just saw a Mazda the other day that was totaled. It was hit in the side so hard the seat busted the console and the bag was still in place.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:03 PM

A few weeks ago on Rescue Me (FX Network) they showed a Smart Car that was sandwiched in a truck collision. Nothing left of the driver/passenger compartment..... Really made me think about small cars.........
Old 08-17-2009, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by mgfred
A few weeks ago on Rescue Me (FX Network) they showed a Smart Car that was sandwiched in a truck collision. Nothing left of the driver/passenger compartment..... Really made me think about small cars.........

I love that show! I saw that and that will keep me from even riding in a smart car. After the accident, it didn't looks so smart to me.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:14 PM

Ouch! Sorry to hear about that. Hope they fix it, and don't just total it! It'd be a shame since they don't make SOM anymore!
Old 08-17-2009, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by mgfred
That is Hollywood for you.

I am in no way a Smart Car fan but there was a british TV show that crashed one into to a concrete Jersey barrier at 70 MPH. It was amazing how well the safety cage around the passengers held up. They also showed a standard sedan at the same speed and it did not so as well.

They pointed out at that speed the g force would kill anyone but it did show how well the car stood up to a high speed crash.

Bigger us not always better. THe HHR is proof of that as it holds up in crashes better than some large SUV's.

The video of the Smart crash is on Youtube. Watch it as the car did better than I ever expected.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
That is Hollywood for you.

I am in no way a Smart Car fan but there was a british TV show that crashed one into to a concrete Jersey barrier at 70 MPH. It was amazing how well the safety cage around the passengers held up. They also showed a standard sedan at the same speed and it did not so as well.
Hollywood can do that to us...

I had always felt good about my BMW 325i until I saw "True Crime" and saw Mary McCormack crash one into a parked earthmover.... It will still be hard to ever look at a Smart Car and not have that image from "Rescue Me" in my head.....

BTW: When I bought my 2009 HHR, one of the first things I checked out on the sticker was the five star crash ratings!
Old 08-17-2009, 09:04 PM

Uh, I saw some graphic pictures of that collision (I'm thinking it's the same one...) It was from Brazil. I would not recommend seeing those pictures..... The man was in two pieces...

Quick Reply: HHR Side Impact