General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR in Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 04:49 AM

HHR in Snow

I haven't been on here in about 4 years because I got a great deal on an 05 Saturn Vue. Well, in lousy weather on Monday, it slid off the road into a ditch and flipped. It'll probably be totaled, so, I'm once again into looking for a vehicle and there seem to be good deals on 09's with low miles. My concern is that I read a comment on Edmunds from a lady who says the HHR is terrible in snow. I know a lot of you are from the dreaded North, so, let me know how you feel - especially from those who have had them for a while. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:45 AM

You will find here that most of us get around just fine with the HHR in the snow. The HHR is no different than mst FWD cars and with the traction control, stability control and All season tires you should be able to get around with ease with just good basice snow driving skills.

Now if you have a lot of ice winter tires may help.

I am in the snow belt here and with one winter in and just coming of a week of snow now you really would have to screw up good to have issues with an HHR in the snow.

The only real issue I have is when we get over 5 plus inches of snow I scoop up snow into my intercooler in my SS. ANd I took my Pilots off for winter mostly to protect the wheels.

It for the most is more important to have winter driving skills than the car. I pass a lot of 4x4 stuck because someone just lost it.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:14 AM

I just switched to snow tires, and the little truck grips well in the snow. My low traction light hardly comes on. So I would say it is the stanard tires, and some bad driving skills on her part.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:02 AM

Living in Western New York, we get plenty of snow (although we have had little this year).

I have a 2006 1LT 5-speed. If you get Blizzak snow tires (or similar brands) you will get very good snow performance. My other vehicle is a 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban with all-season tires. Honestly, I would rather drive the HHR in snow, it has better control with the snow tires than 4x4 with all-season tires. The only time the Suburban is better is if the snow depth on the road is higher than the bottom of the front bumper of the HHR.

As hyperv6 said, driving technique is the most important factor. I see a lot of 4x4s in the ditch here because they bought the "go anywhere do anything in snow" marketing. Having owned several 4x4s I can say that you constantly have to fight overconfidence because of the instant traction when you accelerate. However, that heavy 4x4 takes a looong time to stop if its slippery.

Steve
Old 12-30-2009, 08:33 AM

The tires that come on the 2LT are lousy in snow, especially after they get a few miles on them. Other than those tires, the HHR is fine in snow.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:07 AM

Just change the Crappy stock tires to either Snow tire's or a good all season tire. Other then that its no different then any other FWD car.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:23 AM

My '07 is OK in the snow and up until this week I ran the stock crappy firestones. I put some cheap snows on this year and the jury is still out on them, but if you drive to the conditions, you should be OK. Oh, I'm in Canada, and have passed a lot of 4x4's that were in the ditch.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:39 AM

Throw a set of snows all around and the only problem you'll have is ground clearance. Again, skill is most important. I drove around all winter in my early days of driving in some pretty silly cars without snows-we're spoiled with technology today.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:50 AM

I've driven with the 18" SS wheels last year and the 16" stock wheels this year.

Although neither are the best tire. it really comes to your driving skill .and learning to work with the T/C

My wife's sunfire is like a tank through the snow and we have some town fair tire all seasons.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by kodak_jack
I haven't been on here in about 4 years because I got a great deal on an 05 Saturn Vue. Well, in lousy weather on Monday, it slid off the road into a ditch and flipped. It'll probably be totaled, so, I'm once again into looking for a vehicle and there seem to be good deals on 09's with low miles. My concern is that I read a comment on Edmunds from a lady who says the HHR is terrible in snow. I know a lot of you are from the dreaded North, so, let me know how you feel - especially from those who have had them for a while. Thanks.
Jack, I bought my '07 2LT new and drove the last 2 winters without any difficulties with the stock Firestones.
I have new all-season tires on for this winter, as the Firestones would not be good for a third winter.
Depending on how much winter driving you do and your confidence level, snow tires would be optimal. If you go that route, I would run all 4.
I'm sure the tire experts would recommend that also.
Check the latest tire ratings from Consumer reports for their recommendations..............
Good luck................

Quick Reply: HHR in Snow