General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR in Snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 06:24 PM

My 2008 with 17 stock tires is poor in snow. I'm comparing with a Honda Civic. I'm cautious about hills in fresh snow and careful at parking next to a curb where the snow has accumulated. I think the wide tires is the main factor.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:13 PM

Thanks, guys. There's a dealer in the area who has a blue 09 LT1 with 13,000 miles on it for $14995. The problem is that the dealership is about 50 miles away. I wish dealers would do fdealer trades on used vehicles like new ones. I'd buy closer to home.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:35 PM

These cars are OK in the snow. It really depends who is behind the wheel thats the deciding factor. That said let me tell you there is no comparing the hhr to a silverado. I have one of each and the truck will run circles around any FWD car snow ice don't matter. If you know how to drive that 4x4 truck is the ticket. The hhr just will get you there with less fuel. The truck is much safer. We average 120 inches of the white **** each season. I live on a rural gravel read icy snowcovered from now till april road. When there is any dought take the Silverado.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:56 AM

We havent got a lot of snow here yet (yep Buffalo) but no problems with my 09 with stock Firestones. I did drive into some deep snow, in front of the house of course, to check my limitations. I got somewhat stuck and confirmed that when you need to rock the vehicle, the trac control needs to be disengaged. ABS is great for stopping on ice. It aint my Olds Bravada but it'll go in the snow. Of course I'm old school and was raised driving Grand Prix's and Camoros in Blizzards..
Old 12-31-2009, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by kodak_jack
I haven't been on here in about 4 years because I got a great deal on an 05 Saturn Vue. Well, in lousy weather on Monday, it slid off the road into a ditch and flipped. It'll probably be totaled, so, I'm once again into looking for a vehicle and there seem to be good deals on 09's with low miles. My concern is that I read a comment on Edmunds from a lady who says the HHR is terrible in snow. I know a lot of you are from the dreaded North, so, let me know how you feel - especially from those who have had them for a while. Thanks.
I was quite happy with the performance of my HHR during the Christmas Eve storm that blew through the DFW area. Since we do not typically get that type of weather, clearing the roads simply does not occur. IIRC, the tires used on the LT badged models are worse in snow than the LS badged HHRs. Mine is the 2.2l 5 speed manual LS model, and it tackled our packed ice and snow with little effort. The traction control and ABS brakes both helped contend with the worst. If you buy an LT model, just put some GOOD all season tires on it, and you should be fine.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by frank6060
We havent got a lot of snow here yet (yep Buffalo) but no problems with my 09 with stock Firestones. I did drive into some deep snow, in front of the house of course, to check my limitations. I got somewhat stuck and confirmed that when you need to rock the vehicle, the trac control needs to be disengaged. ABS is great for stopping on ice. It aint my Olds Bravada but it'll go in the snow. Of course I'm old school and was raised driving Grand Prix's and Camoros in Blizzards..
My wife and I are originally from Lackawanna.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:32 AM

They only had to close the skyway once for snow so far this winter. Your a snow driver for sure. Good luck with your persuit of that hhr.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:41 PM

This is my 1st winter with my 08 HHR. It's an auto w/o abs or traction control. I put brand new Dunlop Graspix snow tires on it just after Thanksgiving. I have never driven a car this "challenged" by snowy roads. Even with the new snow tires it still sucks in the snow. The only reason that I haven't traded it for something better in the snow is because I really love driving this car when the roads are clear.
My last 2 vehicles were rear wheel drive Ford Rangers. They were great in the snow compaired to this car.
I am looking around for something else to drive. If I can find something cheap enough I will take the HHR off the road for the winter.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:47 PM

My wife's Honda with snowtires on it is pretty nice in the snow unless it gets really deep. Then the Jeep is better.
The HHR stays in the garage. I don't like how low the SS intercooler is to potential dangers lurking in a drift so I'd prefer not to drive it.
Plus she's just too pretty.

Jim
Old 01-02-2010, 12:50 PM

This is my 2nd winter with my HHR.I had forgotten just how crappy the Firerocks are in the snow.No side bite to them at all.I'm sure with snow treads or just better tires,the HHR would be the equal to the 2 Cavalier wagons is used to have.

Quick Reply: HHR in Snow