General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR in Snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 06:21 AM

No traction control, no ABS, no problems. It's not the car, it's the driver.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by JimDaddyo
It is as much someone not used to FWD too. You have to adapt from RWD to FWD if you have not spent much time driving it before.

I have seen FWD people freak out at the thought of RWD without controls too. The truth is last year was my first FWD winter and I would have been just as if not more happy with RWD as it is what I was used to and fell like I have better or more control options.

But I will add it is true some people just can't drive. Just watch what goes on on the roads at the first snow fall every year. FWD, RWD and AWD scattered everywhere.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:18 PM

There is more to this that driver skill. Two situations to illustrate

1. Slight uphill at a 4-way stop. It was touch and go for many drivers. Fresh wet snow.

2. Parallel parking against a curb on the road camber where the grader has pushed extra snow. The HHR can't get moving again where another FWD can.

In fresh wet snow the stock tires don't bite. They spin like a bald tire.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:37 PM

we just got pounded with snow it was my first time out with the hhr ls 5spd and other than a little bit of wheelspin it was solid...no problems whatsoever even though a good set of snowtires would do it good cause the firestones are eeeeeh!
Old 01-04-2010, 05:40 PM

So after spending all of my adult life living in an area that averges 150" snow per season, never driving a car with abs or traction control, and NEVER having an accident or going off the road you mean to tell me I cant drive.
Kiss my ass.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:42 PM

I just bought my 08 Panel and neglected to put snows on. The first snow I was white knuckled behind the wheel of the most EVIL ill mannered ride I've ever driven. I've driven every winter since I learned to drive 27 years ago, in the White Mountains. A pair of top rated snows later and I couldn't believe it was the same car. I had considered studs and a set of four rather than two but passed on both. Now after a major save on slippery roads where the rear jumped out in a sharp curve, I strongly recommend the set of four, to anyone and might even spring for another pair myself. Just for the record my panel has neither traction control or anti lock brakes.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Aogden
So after spending all of my adult life living in an area that averges 150" snow per season, never driving a car with abs or traction control, and NEVER having an accident or going off the road you mean to tell me I cant drive.
Kiss my ass.
I did not infer that at all, I am saying that gadgets are no substitute for good driving. I have passed many 4X4's with ABS and TC in the ditch in the winter. People, in general, put too much faith in gadgets instead of learning to drive to conditions. To quote John Muir, If everyone drove like they were strapped to the front of their vehicle like an Aztek sacrifice that would be the first to go in an accident, there would be less accidents.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:03 AM

My '07 is OK in the snow and up until this week I ran the stock crappy firestones. I put some cheap snows on this year and the jury is still out on them, but if you drive to the conditions, you should be OK. Oh, I'm in Canada, and have passed a lot of 4x4's that were in the ditch.
Maybe it's just me, but I think some drivers honestly believe their 4x4's have magic tires. "Dude, I can't believe I spun into the ditch when taking that hairpin turn covered in black ice. I have a 4x4 for god's sake!"
Old 01-05-2010, 10:36 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by JB Toronto SS
Maybe it's just me, but I think some drivers honestly believe their 4x4's have magic tires. "Dude, I can't believe I spun into the ditch when taking that hairpin turn covered in black ice. I have a 4x4 for god's sake!"
There's no stuck like 4x4 stuck.

I live in the Sierra Nevada and some people think they are invincible with 4x4. That lasts right up until they lose it in a turn....
Old 01-05-2010, 12:53 PM

my first time driving in snow and im doing just fine with my hhr. only problem ive had was going up a hill slow. but that was cuz i didnt do it right , lol

Quick Reply: HHR in Snow