General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 06:02 PM

I put 205/70/15 Winterforce on new 15 inch steel rims with plastic wheel covers. They clear everything, but just barely. Nice and skinny and they go anyplace in the snow for two winters now. I hate the plastic hubcaps and miss the wide tire look, but do like the driving in snow and getting where I want to go. I do not know if you SS guys have bigger rotors, if you do they might not clear 15" wheels.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:12 PM

General Altimax Arctics on a 2nd set of wheels. It goes like a champ, no issues whatsoever, unless the snow is deep enough that the airdam becomes a plow. No shortage of hills around here either.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:24 PM

I think it does real well, stabilitrak works good. Just gives ya power you need to get it going. Today was good first test. Have had a few front drives and it beats them all
Old 12-12-2010, 11:08 PM

After hearing the horror stories about the Firestone Affinities, I was expecting a miserable drive today in the 6 inches of snow we just got.

They aren't the greatest but they weren't that bad either. I dinked around in a unplowed parking lot to get an idea how they would do. They do pretty good. They don't like ice but I can't fault an all season tire for that.

I think the constant criticism of the Firestone Affinity is a bit overdone. I can see living with them for a year or two.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Premium Member

Just getting ready to head north thru the cascades and the rockies and I put the Goodyear F-1 AS on sound like I'll be ok If the eagles work in snow the F-1's should be even better once we get into Canada they do a nice job of grooming the highways. Considered shooting studs in for the trip but after reading Hyper6 testimony think I'll leave them alone they have been stellar in deep water
Old 12-13-2010, 04:03 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Lets put it this way. Goodyears headquarters are here and I have many family members and friends who either work there or have retired with over 30 plus years. None of them would recomend the RSA.

The RSA is a old tire and mostly a cheap OE tire they sell to car companies. Car MFG don't want to pay anything for tires so most OE tires are crap till you get to the top line cars.

The RSA were good tires when they came out but todays tire technology has really passed them up.
Hummm - I run a set of 50 series RSA's on my older Dodge Avenger - and they are awesome - super sticky in the dry, awesome in the wet, and got me up our local snow-covered horror of a hill on Boundry Road, passing everyone who was spun-out or stuck. maybe it was the driver, and not the tires that got me up the hill?

I'd put a set on the HHR in a minute, if I could afford them (they are pricey here).
Old 12-13-2010, 05:01 AM

After ruining one of the stock Affinity's and until I can find replacement summer tires, I needed to do something for an Iowa winter. I found some Malibu wheels and a pair of 225/60/16 studded snow tires without knowing what to expect. After a couple inches of heavy snow over the weekend, it is working OK, haven't had to go like a snow plow yet.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:23 AM

I agree, the Firestone Affinity 16" tires are not that bad. I bought a used set (6/32") with aluminum rims for the winter. I have been driving in snow here in NE Ohio the past week and they are not that bad. This is not a 4WD vehicle so don't expect the HHR to perform like one. My Grand Cherokee 4WD is parked in the garage. As long as the HHR gets me where I want to go, the GC will stay in the garage. Afterall, 30+ mpg is better than 15 mpg with gas at $3 per gallon.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
Hummm - I run a set of 50 series RSA's on my older Dodge Avenger - and they are awesome - super sticky in the dry, awesome in the wet, and got me up our local snow-covered horror of a hill on Boundry Road, passing everyone who was spun-out or stuck. maybe it was the driver, and not the tires that got me up the hill?

I'd put a set on the HHR in a minute, if I could afford them (they are pricey here).
They are not bad tires just not the best Goodyear offers. Compared to their new designs they are crap in relation.

If you like these you would love the newer designs.

Think of it as like a 88 Corvette. While it is a good car it lack compared to the 2011 Vette. Time and technology just breeds a better car or in this case tire.

The new compounding and tread designs are giving better traction and much longer tire wear.

Tires like the RSA and Eagle GA will vanish soon. They are due for replacment as both are very very old tires and are now only offered in limited sizes.

The Eagle GT today is a totally different tire. It too was old and behind times and was replaced with a new tire just 2 years ago. It is a so much better tire it almost really needs a new name. Too many remember the older tire that barely got 30,000 miles driving and really did little in snow and rain.

The thing to remember with tires is they are like cars. The newest and most modern designs are usally the best performing. Compounding is something you can't see but in the last 5 years has really mades some large advances.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mowgli
My mechanic gets a 25% off deal on Goodyear.
He uses Eagle GTs on his sick ST4
He says they're good in the snow and commutes 45 miles each way.

Anyone use EGTs on their HHR in the (real) snow?
Finally got to drive the HHR/Eagle GT combo on some snow and ice covered roads. Note! I was not snow plowing, this was rutted hardpack snow/ice with a fresh covering of an inch or two. I had no problems at all, granted if I was an idiot driver in winter conditions, as so many are, then there could have been problems. (note those 4WD's stuck in the snowbanks or ditches that I passed on the way hope they had their cell phones)

Accelerating from a dead stop on an incline was excellent. Turning corners could initiate a slide if I was on the brakes, but letting off brought the car immediately out of it. A few deep ice ruts tossed the car suddenly to the side but did not cause a slide, the car recovered perfectly.

So far, they have been pretty impressive..... Granted they are not a snow tire, but for an all season that has a ZR rating they impress.

Will they go 70 mph in snow and ice? ........ See my "idiot driver" comment above and then learn how to drive in winter conditions if you feel you need to go the speed limit or above in snow. Better to arrive alive......

Quick Reply: HHR in the snow