General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
(note those 4WD's stuck in the snowbanks or ditches that I passed on the way hope they had their cell phones)
They were probably chatting or texting on them when they got themselves stuck
Old 12-13-2010, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Finally got to drive the HHR/Eagle GT combo on some snow and ice covered roads. Note! I was not snow plowing, this was rutted hardpack snow/ice with a fresh covering of an inch or two. I had no problems at all, granted if I was an idiot driver in winter conditions, as so many are, then there could have been problems. (note those 4WD's stuck in the snowbanks or ditches that I passed on the way hope they had their cell phones)
Accelerating from a dead stop on an incline was excellent. Turning corners could initiate a slide if I was on the brakes, but letting off brought the car immediately out of it. A few deep ice ruts tossed the car suddenly to the side but did not cause a slide, the car recovered perfectly.
So far, they have been pretty impressive..... Granted they are not a snow tire, but for an all season that has a ZR rating they impress.
Will they go 70 mph in snow and ice? ........ See my "idiot driver" comment above and then learn how to drive in winter conditions if you feel you need to go the speed limit or above in snow. Better to arrive alive......
Thanks for the review, it sounds promising

I can't get new tires until January so please keep me posted if your opinion changes
Old 12-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hyperv6
The new compounding and tread designs are giving better traction and much longer tire wear.

The thing to remember with tires is they are like cars. The newest and most modern designs are usally the best performing. Compounding is something you can't see but in the last 5 years has really mades some large advances.
Very true.

At one time I could not get a pair of replacement RSA's, and I grabbed a pair of Yokohama Avid's - terrible in the wet - would let go grabbing 3rd gear in the rain!!! Years later could not get RSA's again, and the saleman mentioned Yokohama Avids, and I said no way - been there done that - and hated them. He said, no, no, they have a new compound and total redesign - and offered a 30 day money-back deal. So I grabbed a pair (cause that was all there was available really), and LOVED them. Sticky in the dry/wet - and pretty good in the snow.

The other factor no-one has mentioned is that different sizes of tires will work differently - ie: a 215/50-17" on an Avenger for example, will perform much differently than a 195/60R15 on a Cirrus - partly due to the tire, and of course partly due to the car.

And one other factor people don't talk about much, is that if you beef up the suspension, lowering/sway bars etc., the more critical the tires become - it's the weakest link syndrome. In other words, a better handling car needs better capable tires.

Cheers
Old 12-13-2010, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
I don't care what happens but next year I'm getting me some snow tires. I'll be lucky if I can get home tonight after work.
THIS!

I barely made it in the driveway to my work. I'm talking 4th gear 80mph indicated to get up the driveway WITH a speedy run to the driveway.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:27 PM

i have never put snow tires on mine, considering where i live thats no problem but i just recently came back from a week vacation up in northern AZ and there was actually snow through the forest on my way up there. i have to say i was impressed with my tires performance, even though there was probably only about an inch or so on the road. no random leaps or loss of traction, and i dont have traction control on my car.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mowgli
Thanks for the review, it sounds promising

I can't get new tires until January so please keep me posted if your opinion changes
I have a co worker who uses the new Eagle GT's on his Cobalt SS. He loves them. Note he is also not what I would call a skilled snow driver but he has not had an issue with them in all the snow we get here.

When I replace the Pilots on the SS I think these are the ones I will go to next unless Goodyear has something newer.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:38 PM

This will be the second winter with Blizzaks on my HHR and I could'nt be happier with them. I found them in 205 60R16 which are a little narrower but the same height. I think it is a Ford Focus size so they are fairly common. The drive to work was very icy and even 4 x 4s were having problems, I could almost keep up with them, so I know the do work. I am a firm believer in Blizzaks having had them on 2 fieros in the past.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:02 PM

I"m thinking Eagle GT' on my SS for a car that gets rarely driven in the winter. Of course the stock Michelins are awful, esp with 20K on them. Anyone else run Eagle GT's on an SS in the winter?

JIm
Old 12-13-2010, 05:24 PM

The bottom line to sum this all up is If you have standard snow skills a HHR with Stability Control and Traction control with good tires you should have no issues getting around.

You will get anywhere you need to go in the HHR on All Season tires. and in colder climates with more ice the Winter tires will help. They are more geared to colder and more ice conditions with a little better snow. Just prepare for more wear.

The HHR is no different than most FWD cars out there. The only real issues are the OE tires and low nose that may push snow. My GP does the same thing.

I do miss Sonoma 2WD with limited slip. It was just more fun to drive in the snow. Steering with the gas pedal is a lot of fun and sliding around like on a dirt track is even more fun. MThe HHR is very non dramatic and boring in the snow.

20 MPG Death grip people on cell phones piss me off. Learn how to control the car and hang up. Note I would also not be suprised here in Ohio that 40% of the cars have nearly bald tires or tires will very little tread. I used to see that all the time when I used to wrench on cars. 20% did not have proper brakes. You would hate to know how many did not even have rear or front brakes on their cars. Too many were just letting one end do all the work.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Note I would also not be suprised here in Ohio that 40% of the cars have nearly bald tires or tires will very little tread. I used to see that all the time when I used to wrench on cars. 20% did not have proper brakes. You would hate to know how many did not even have rear or front brakes on their cars. Too many were just letting one end do all the work.
My Dad lives in Colorado. No safety checks or insurance needed. Did not feel safe driving around there when it came to some of the interstates and nasty practically 45 degree slanted roads. You know the mountainous hills were bad when you started to see the tractor trailer emergency runnoffs (deep with gravel) with tractor trailers on them several hundred feet up the air pointed to the sun. Must be a lot of stains on the TTO Drivers seats. Also some of the vehicles you saw racing past you down hill looked like even a boy scout wouldn't use it as a soap box racer!

Quick Reply: HHR in the snow