General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 11:36 AM

I have Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max on my HHR. No problems at all, my HHR gets around perfectly. Nothing is immune to the laws of physics so I'm sure at some point I will not get traction on a hill or driveway, but I don't think it has anything to do with the car or the tires. It's snow. Snow is slick. If it was easy to get around on they wouldn't make special tires for it.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:26 PM

Had the Goodyear Eagles on some solid ice today and they did fine.... Accelerating from a stop had the LOW TRACTION warning come on but the car did great and pulled away straight and with no perceived spin...... It's all in how you drive as long as the tires are decent and your brain is on......

I don't think I would take the HHR out to "play" on the back roads with a foot of fresh snow over hardpack like I did in my '69 Pontiac, back in the day. That doesn't mean the HHR is "bad" in the snow, just that the mid to late 60's GM 4 doors were beasts... "Who needs brakes when you got reverse"
Old 12-15-2010, 01:34 PM

Stock Firestones with less than 800 miles on my '10 Panel and with Stabilitrack I managed to handle the 4 feet of snow we got recently with no problem. My '07 had Goodyear Assurance triple-treds and I think I could have driven up Mt. Everest with them.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:50 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
It's all in how you drive as long as the tires are decent and your brain is on......

I couldn't agree more.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:06 PM

Lets put it this way. The low traction message in the DIC is because many people have poor low traction driving skills. Many people have just flat poor car control skills. Add to this the many car with poor tires and the driver on the cell phone it is amazing that many of us get home alive.

With a good set of tires, average driving skills the HHR is as good as most other FWD cars.

At time I wish they would test people to see if they are fit to drive in snow.
The 15 MPH death grip people strattling 2 lanes are much more an issue than anything.
If they can't drive I wish they would just stay home.

Sorry I had to vent as we have had a bad week of roads here. I have 4 inches here at home and 18 inches just 11 miles away at work. Got to love lake effect snow. Interstate 76 here has been a mess. The idiot state people got complaints from people who live near by the gooves in the road made too much noise. So the cut them length ways vs accross.

Now the water sits on the road vs draining off and it turns to ice. This road had 5 big crashes today and we did not even get any snow.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:37 PM

Hope you aren't implying I have no driving skills just because the low traction light came on.... It was a sheet of ice, I actually had to stop at the sign first before accelerating away from the stop sign....... No issues there, next time I'll put it in low to keep the light from coming on if it make you feel safer. The result will be the same the HHR is a good winter car, and I'll get home just fine.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:12 PM
Premium Member

It must be a miracle we made it thru the previous 30 years when there was no low traction light
Old 12-15-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Hope you aren't implying I have no driving skills just because the low traction light came on.... It was a sheet of ice, I actually had to stop at the sign first before accelerating away from the stop sign....... No issues there, next time I'll put it in low to keep the light from coming on if it make you feel safer. The result will be the same the HHR is a good winter car, and I'll get home just fine.
Don't get overly sensitive here. I would trust you know if the tires are spinning light or not.. But there are some......? Heck I have had the light lite up most of the week playing around. I finally got the SS to 4 wheel drift with the ACS not coming on. That is not an easy one.

This is just a general open rant and not directed to anyone here.

My point is there are people out there who have no idea when the tires are spinnig with out the help of a light anymore. I find that sad.

When your go cart at age 12 was a VW chassie and you have private dirt and gravel roads to play on you learn a lot on control.

Todays car have dumb down todays drivers. Imagine if they had to drive a 53 Chevy with the trash bias ply tires they had back in the day.

In the past you took a 16 year old kid to a parking lot and let em lose to learn how to react to a slide. Some of todays car you can't shut off the electronics and learn what to really do. There are times the ASC can be taken to the limit it can not recover and a driver still needs to know what to do.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by SS fan
It must be a miracle we made it thru the previous 30 years when there was no low traction light
And FWD and AWD and ASC and Anti Locks.....ETC.

Some people today would never have gotten anywhere years ago.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Premium Member

Amen to that brother Think we can do anything about the folks out there who drive like they are the only one on the road, and don't even know they are. It continues to amaze me their cars aren't all bashed in some how we all seem to avoid them

Quick Reply: HHR in the snow