General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR Twilight Zone....

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 02:44 AM
Deceased

I'd imagine it would be like seeing a Chaika, Moskvitch, or Gaz over here. There is something special about having the only one around, until you need parts. I'm curious, what are the most common US built vehicles that you do see?
Old 12-08-2010, 02:59 AM
geg

Originally Posted by 843de
Another random gathering yesterday at the Harris Teeter in Concord NC, only four this time. Maybe HHR's have some sort of herd instinct or maybe they like to roam in packs.
We are called - "local mentality". People living in the same locality in a natural way, the basic tastes, mannerisms and traditions. So there is a local (or national) character. In a big country it can be clearly seen.
Guys in Kannapolis NC and Concord NC probably reasoned:
"Wow! John (Rick? Eddie?) Bought a cool cart! I know John (Rik! Eddie!) - It's a real man, I am also a real guy, I buy myself the same thing and we are with John (Rik! Eddie! ) will show off two!
Next: More join them a couple of real guys. Then other people think: "In the city there are many new cars. A bad car does not buy much. So it's a good car. I need a good car - I'll buy it!"
Result. Livestock HHR in Kannapolis NC and Concord NC inflated. 843de (Premium Membury) surprised. Everybody is happy.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:50 AM
geg

I'd imagine it would be like seeing a Chaika, Moskvitch, or Gaz over here. There is something special about having the only one around, until you need parts. I'm curious, what are the most common US built vehicles that you do see?
Not every week will see Moskvich.
Chaika (Seagull) - is a real exclusive. Easier to see the HHR, or Maybach. In Russia, no more than 20 Seagulls. Most of them are in Moscow in private collections.
GAZ - oh! this very much. Basically - light trucks GAZELLE. Want to know a favorite theme of Russian jokes? Illegal immigrant driving a worn-out Gazelle. This infernal machine! Imagine a bucket of bolts, which rushes down the street breaking the rules of the road. And sitting behind the wheel Uzbek or Tajik, which yesterday came down from the mountains, piloted only a donkey, and on Russian knows only 5 - 10 words. Presented? This is the main public transport in major Russian cities.
American cars in Russia is not a lot. I'm talking about pure-bred Americans. But major U.S. brands are plentiful.
Ford - one of the leaders in sales. Spanish and Russian production. My woman rides a focus. (European focus is very different from the U.S.).
Chevrolet - also a leader in sales. But this is not the same Chevrolet that you see on American streets. Some time ago, GM bought the bankrupt Daewoo (Korea) and Korean cars began to sculpt a butterfly Chevrolet. Cheap car of average quality. Mutants.
Cadillac brand - not a lot of (expensive). European production. Does not differ much from the American Cadillac.
Hummer 2 and 3 - Russian assembly.
Chrysler's small. After her divorce from Daimler, they withdrew from Europe and Russia.
From thoroughbred Americans often: Tahoe and Bleyzer, big cars Ford - Eksplorer and Ekspedishin. Sometimes Dodge. These cars bring "gray" dealers. In Ekaterinburg - 30 or 50 cars a year. Not very much.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Deceased

Greetings geg! I've wondered about how common some Russian cars are even in Russia. I know of one Moskvitch in North Carolina and one LADA Niva, that is all that I have ever seen. About twenty years ago I had the chance to drive a GAZ M20 Pobeda owned by a friend in New York State, it was at the time the only one in the US. Is your HHR the only American vehicle you have owned, or have there been others?
Old 12-08-2010, 01:12 PM

haha the one day I had a sandwich, Silver Panel, Me, Silver LT driving for a few miles. So where are pictures of said gathering?
Old 12-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Deceased

No camera with me, cellphone back at the condo, and it was dark too. Sometimes a cosmic convergence like the one at the Food Lion just won't happen when you have the dang camera or cellphone. I suppose its like hunting Bigfoot, sure he'll show up and grin, maybe even tell some jokes...but go for a camera, and zip..he's gone.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:54 PM
geg

Greetings geg! I've wondered about how common some Russian cars are even in Russia. I know of one Moskvitch in North Carolina and one LADA Niva, that is all that I have ever seen. About twenty years ago I had the chance to drive a GAZ M20 Pobeda owned by a friend in New York State, it was at the time the only one in the US. Is your HHR the only American vehicle you have owned, or have there been others?
Greetings 843de !
None. I have not owned an American car before. Of course, the few times I drove American cars my friends and colleagues - Blazer and Voyager.
I owned a Toyota ED before bought a HHR. Toyota's steering wheel is on the right side because it was brought from Japan. Great car, I owned 3 such a different time.
In Russia, the popular Japanese cars. They are brought from Japanese auctions. Government has repeatedly tried to ban the import of (support for domestic producers), but each time received the popular rebellion.
When President Medvedev has once again announced his initiative to ban the import "right-handed" car - I decided "I've had enough." I sold my ED. I began to search for her replacement - a car with the steering position on the left side.
European cars I buy do not become - in Europe's own philosophy of the automotive industry. Economical materials. Strangled motors. Sluggish acceleration. Concern for the environment has reached the stage of idiocy. But the prices are great. All this does not suit Russian guy.
I turned my mind to the American market. I must say, Russia does not trust U.S. automakers. It is believed that American cars are very voracious, and the Americans themselves poorly served by their cars. This is partly true. But I do not regret my decision. My HHR came to me in good condition (if you do not pay attention to the dead brakes and amateurish attempts to repair the muzzle. Such a repairman to tear off his hands and put it in his ass). Fuel consumption is less than Toyota ED. And anyway - it is simply beautiful.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:47 PM

So Geg the HHR is your first American car? Will the HHR change your mind on American cars, so that you will buy another in the future??
Old 12-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Uma

Funny thread, I notice all these tendencies myself. They tend to stay in packs. Kris and I drive to Nor Cal for an event up there and we play the VW game, blue one, red one, etc. We may go miles before we see one on the other side of the freeway, then a bunch within a few miles. Todd(uma)
Old 12-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Deceased

We're off for a Christmas tree tomorrow, I've told the lovely spouse that she'll be driving the Corvan so I can count HHR's. It seems that on the average day I see about eight of them in and around Charlotte, and they usually come in bunches.

Quick Reply: HHR Twilight Zone....