General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR vs. Crown Vic Police Interceptor

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 05:39 PM

Location: Fresno, California (formerly of Modesto, Ca. -- hometown of George Lucas, formerly of Winnipeg, Mb.)
In the mid-90's, the R.C.M.P. in Dauphin used 1996 Impala SS's for their Rural (highway patrol) Detachment.

A couple of the SSGT's I knew said they were much better, handling, than the CV's
Old 06-17-2007, 05:54 PM

The show pony is needed by the CHP. Here in California or I should say the SF Bay Area and LA the CHP used yo only hand out double digit speeding tickets. Now there handing out triple digit speeding tickets. You will see plenty of over 100 mph cars cruisin the freeway. If your not doin 80 you better cruise the slow lane or get run over.

Chevy never produced a special LT1 just for the police. Now thats not to say that some police depts didnt have some gear head that made some fast police chase cars using aftermarket parts like heads, cam and intakes.

We also here in Cal have some local police depts that seize drug users vehicles. Burlingame has one bad azz 65 mustang. Its been heavily modified into a pro street racer. I have also seen 3rd gen camaros lots of mustangs and some exotics like Lambos.

Z11 Impala 1963 produced for NASCAR racing. 427ci 650hp You could get a SS version I believe that had a 402 in it.

Here are a couple of pics of what I built from the ground up. I bought the motor assembled as I am not one to build a drag motor that will hold up. The motor alone ran $25K.

I have been drag racing since 1974. I started racing racng cras when I stationed in Spokane Wa. at the Spokane Intl Raceway when it first opened up. Fri nights you could make a single pass for 25 cents. Couple of bucks made for a great Fri night.

Now im a licensed NHRA driver

Old 06-17-2007, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by modestohhrclub
In the mid-90's, the R.C.M.P. in Dauphin used 1996 Impala SS's for their Rural (highway patrol) Detachment.

A couple of the SSGT's I knew said they were much better, handling, than the CV's
Since you're familiar with the R.C.M.P., you may appreciate my uncle's sense of humour on this. He used to operate a service station and the members from the local R.C.M.P. detachment would fill up at his station.

He used to joke with them that the G.R.C. on the doors stood for Government Race Car Impala SS might fit the bill

For those that have no clue what I am talking about, the R.C.M.P. is a federal/national police for here in Canada. G.R.C. is the (losse) french translation of R.C.M.P.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Banned

The LT1 in the 9C1 Caprice had iron heads and a cam profile tuned for low-end grunt. They only topped out at 260 HP, but the engines were almost unbreakable. The Crown Vic was always the better handling car, but the Caprice could blow it and most other cars short of the Camaro and Corvette off the road with no problem. This was 1995. Most passenger and small sports cars still had less than 180 HP back then and no torque. Only having 260 in the 9C1 was plenty.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:31 PM

I know in the late 60's NY State used Plymouth Furys for persuit cars, equipted with a 426 hemi. They only had a few of them bad boys.

Here in Nebraska they shifted from using the camero to the new mustangs.

In 1977 I traded in my 76 RoadRunner ( it was garbage) for a Maryland State trooper car, 75 Plymouth GrandFury 400 interceptor, step on the gas and had a race between the speedometer and gas gage.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:11 PM

Location: Fresno, California (formerly of Modesto, Ca. -- hometown of George Lucas, formerly of Winnipeg, Mb.)
Yeppers... I remember calling them that (Gendarmerie Royal du Canada)

Gotta love them 96 Impala's!

Originally Posted by Black Rose
Since you're familiar with the R.C.M.P., you may appreciate my uncle's sense of humour on this. He used to operate a service station and the members from the local R.C.M.P. detachment would fill up at his station.

He used to joke with them that the G.R.C. on the doors stood for Government Race Car Impala SS might fit the bill

For those that have no clue what I am talking about, the R.C.M.P. is a federal/national police for here in Canada. G.R.C. is the (losse) french translation of R.C.M.P.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
The LT1 in the 9C1 Caprice had iron heads and a cam profile tuned for low-end grunt. They only topped out at 260 HP, but the engines were almost unbreakable. The Crown Vic was always the better handling car, but the Caprice could blow it and most other cars short of the Camaro and Corvette off the road with no problem. This was 1995. Most passenger and small sports cars still had less than 180 HP back then and no torque. Only having 260 in the 9C1 was plenty.
Agreed. But the older body style CV's, pre-1994, handled like yachts, at least the ones we had. We at first hated the Caprice re-design in '91, mainly the rear fender skirts built into the body style. Looked much better when they trimmed the fender skirts out of the design, I think that was '94. Loved the '94 - '96 Caprices, though.

Billbeau, I also agree that you have to be able to police what you encounter on a regular basis, and in California that would as you point out include many high speed drivers and the cars they drive (exotics, for example). Here in the midwest, we don't encounter it as often. Granted state police around here dis run some of the notchback mustang gt's back in the late 80's and early 90's, and in the latter half of the 90's and early 21st they ran some of the special service pkg camaros, but it was only a few of these type cars statewide.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:39 AM

You want to see something that is pretty different .

Here in my town the local police just received two HEMI Chargers. There being used for stopping street racing, drugs, and gangs.

These things are all black with blacked out windows and black rims. The only tell tail sign its a cop car is the license plate and the remote spot light.

I think its a great idea except for the street racers that go out late at night to some remote area and race. I am against the side show idiots and the street races that collect 200 spectators.

The latest hot thing here in the bay area is freeway racing. These guys are hitting over 150 mph. Unless you can hit that number dont bother.

I made some good money racing my Kawasaki 750 triple 2 stroke against some pretty hot cars on fri and sat nights. My parents just thought I had a high paying part time job. hehehehehe
Old 06-18-2007, 09:44 AM

Around her the lastest is 2006/7's Mustang GT, white, blue racing stripes, standard tags, dark tint.

At least that is the one I saw with blue lights flashing in the windows.....

Glad it wasn't behind me....
Old 06-18-2007, 10:13 AM

Yep some local police have the hemi chargers around here, but they are marked

Quick Reply: HHR vs. Crown Vic Police Interceptor