General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR's in snow...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 02:10 PM

Any American-made by American company snow tires available that ya'll know of?
Old 07-01-2008, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by TheBug
I plan on putting Blizzaks on the stock SS wheels this winter and getting Black or gun metal wheels come summer.
i ran the blizzacs for several years... great tire for the winter. but got tired of change back and forth each year... NOT GOOD to run them all year long.

for the person way up on the thread thinking about buying two winter tires and two standard... NOT GOOD to mix and match tires... things can get squirrelly quick.

Last summer i put a new set of Goodyear TRIPLE TREAD tire on our Dodge PU 1500... NOT a 4x4... most satified... don t have to change over summer/winter.

summer... quiet, smooth, handles well
spring... handled rain well, Washington State
Winter... coldest/snowiest winter in 90yrs... in snow up to 2 to 6 inches... never chained up. seemed to work very well on ice... but we are cautious drivers and giggle at all the 4x4 four in the ditches

going to put a set on our hhr this fall... the Firestone's will have about 25k on them

as for the Firestone's handling??? we haven t noticed any significant handling problems in the rain. but we slow down about 5mph under in the rain... slow if nesseccary.

being to light??? suvs big and use allot of gas... and handle better in the snow.

smaller cars... don t use as much gas and don t handle so well in the snow... have to decide what i important in life.

so if you don t need a dedicated winter tire check out the goodyear... see what you think... they are pricey but they have a very good tread life/warranty
bought/mounted mine at Sears so that i could have them serviced anywhere
Old 07-01-2008, 06:06 AM

Old 07-01-2008, 07:14 AM

Last I knew, GoodYear,Firestone and BFGoodrich were American tire companies.
I have no problems with the 17 inch Firehawks.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Danko

just did some checking (tire rac) on all season tires... the top two seam to be the GY Assurance Triple Tread and the Michelin... the GY seems better with snow... remember these are all season

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=AS
Old 07-01-2008, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by frostylaw
Ha, ha. I recognize that gas station. I live North of Albuquerque. I was there at that gas station last winter when it looked like that. I am planning to put Blizzaks on my HHR SS this winter. I run them on my patrol car and they are way better than any studded tire I have ever tried.
We did that trip with the stock tires. I was actually amazed at how well they stuck. Of course, driving in those conditions all the time would probably call for something a little more suited to it.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:28 PM

I'm going to put a set of Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D tires on my stock steelies, and in the spring get new rims and a good summer tire.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:11 AM

Firestone is part of a Japanese company named Bridgestone. Firehawks are made by them. So, no one knows of American snow tires, huh? I tried........ I always do........... Our kids deserve that! Cooper Tires might be my answer.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:24 PM

I don't understand. HHRs are built in MEXICO! And with front wheel drive,I haven't needed snow tires in the last 15 years!
Old 07-03-2008, 02:16 AM

I agree, Li'l Hearse. I drove my wife's Chrysler Sebring convertible way back up in the mountains a few years ago on street tires. I went about 15 miles past the 'Chains Required' signs to get to the ski lodge. The front wheel drive made it a breeze.

Quick Reply: HHR's in snow...