General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Hitch for the HHR, I want your Photos, Suggestions, Info, etc. Lots of Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 08:51 PM

Hitch for the HHR, I want your Photos, Suggestions, Info, etc. Lots of Pics

Hey everyone,

First off, I have read probably every post there is on hitches on here. So none of that "use the search function". I've read them... Been planning this post for awhile but wanted to read as much as possible.

So, with that, I want to know more about hitches. I honestly don't want one and I think they look horrible on a vehicle, however I want to carry my bikes. They don't fit inside without almost completely dismantling (i have a very large bike to get it in i would have to take of the seat and both tires, even then it's a hard maneuver) and I don't like having to take them apart and put them together to move them. Especially if it's around town and like a 10-20 min drive, and it takes and extra 10-20 to get them ready to go, and ready to ride...

So here's my questions:

1. Those with hitches, how are they holding up over time. It seems like most after markets look like crap after a short while. I know mine on my Jimmy did.

2. When installing the common ones on here (hidden, draw tite, curt) and you have to make that one hole larger, does this give the frame a spot to rust? What can you do to stop that.

3. Do you honestly like the way they look, or have you just learned to live with it.

4. Any possible way to freakin hide it? If i had the cash i would be a rear bumper from an SS just to cover it up. It ruins the look of the vehicle. That or i thought about having my brother in law custom weld a cover that would fit into the receiver and cover it up a bit and look more like part of the rear. The tire area in the back looks to be the main culprit, anything to do to take care of that at all...

5. A lot of people get them from etrailer, any other suggestions. A lot of the posts mentioned price and they are like $20-40 more now, same hitches, same place.

6. I really only want this for a bike rack, do i need to put the wiring setup. Would you do it just in case, or just say screw it. I have nothing to pull, and don't really think i would.

7. What reason did you go with the one you did. It seems from people that the draw tite and hidden (possibly curt too) are all the same hitch. Was it price. Do they look or fit differently at all. Accessories? What?

So any info, advice, or anything else would hopefully help. After this I am going to post a bunch of photos i found of them installed on here and will put the link of the name of the user. The only one that i really like is with the SS bumper and the notch cut out for it. That looks so good. The others, not to bad mouth your ride, is not the look I want.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:57 PM

musicguy - this looks so good...

a76marine

Tomshhr

TomR00

MarkieMark

Didn't catch the name of how I got to these...

Jack07 - good comparison shot

RandyS - getting up under there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L87m5dpWmCQ
Plus lots of shot on the install video.

So anyone suggestions on how to make it look better?
Old 02-16-2009, 05:04 PM

wow, no one?
Old 02-16-2009, 05:45 PM

lop sided

i don't like that lop sided hitch. i want to add 1 that does not have that crazy looking offset. i plan on putting on a different muffler. i wonder if they make 1 without the offset??? and if so , will it work with an aftermarket muffler??? i have seen 1 online that is supposed to fit , that didn'nt have the offset. maybe i should get it , and then have the new muffler fitted around it. if i can't get the exhaust tip to fit in that cutout in the bumper cover , that would be really messed up. maybe i should do the muffler 1st???
Old 02-16-2009, 06:04 PM

Hey Twisterman, I have to go to dinner with friends but promise i will post my .02 when i get back...
Old 02-16-2009, 06:43 PM

First off, how tall are you and what type of bikes are you tying to fit in the back?

I have the hitch on mine for 2-1/2 years. The inside of the receiver is rusty but the rest still looks okay.

I bought mine from a local retailer and installed it myself.

To stop the rust where you enlarge the hole, use POR-15 and paint it before you install the hitch.

I only haul bikes so I did not buy or install the wiring harness.

Unless you plan to install the SS rear bumper yours would look the same as all of the other non SS installs.

HTH,
E
Old 02-16-2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by catdaddy137
i don't like that lop sided hitch. i want to add 1 that does not have that crazy looking offset. i plan on putting on a different muffler. i wonder if they make 1 without the offset??? and if so , will it work with an aftermarket muffler??? i have seen 1 online that is supposed to fit , that didn'nt have the offset. maybe i should get it , and then have the new muffler fitted around it. if i can't get the exhaust tip to fit in that cutout in the bumper cover , that would be really messed up. maybe i should do the muffler 1st???
if you saw one without the offset, i would check to make sure that is the right one. In my searching, a lot of places show the real one you are getting and then the other sites shows a generic one and disclose that info somewhere. I'm thinking it might be that. All of the hhr ones i have seen have the exact same shape.

I am 6'2" and i have a Schwinn Voyageur Hybrid GS with the XL frame. When i tried to get it in the back to take it for a tune up i gave up, put my wife's in the back, had her drive to the bike shop, and then i rode mine over.

Saw a lot of hhr's out today, but none with hitches. Although i have been staring at every other vehicle with a hitch i am stopped behind. Might just have to go with the ugly install and find out something better later. Since I really only want it for a bike rack (and a 2" receiver, so i will have to get an adapter or a new rack still...) I am tempted to see what my brother in law might weld up for me.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:12 PM

OK i'm back....

I got mine from Etrailer, it was the cheapest around. I went with the UHAUL hitch because of 2 reasons, the right side end is not open (hitch is completely sealed) and the safety chain attachments looked alot stronger than the other hitches... with the Uhaul hitch from etrailer you don't have to enlarge any holes or do any drilling. It took me about 30 mins to install and even though my car is lowered all I had to do is disconnect the muffler hangers. There is no trailer hitch on the market that doesnt have the offset look to it (they have to, to clear the muffler). Both sides of the UHAUL hitch attach to the frame rails (or Unibody frame rails), not the spare tire well. The kit i ordered came with everything needed to install except for the tools. when i was looking i researched the heck out of all the different brands and found that the uhaul hitch was the best bet (in my case).. I towed a 4x8 trailer with a 800 pound bike and a car full of luggage and never had a problem. As far as looks, i wished they didn't hang down as low as they do but in my research (and from your picture montage) they all hang pretty low, i actually like it because it's the first thing to hit the curb when i back in so the chrome exhaust tip doesn't get scratched. as far as covering them up, not sure how you do that other than the SS bumper but I'm not sure the car would look right with a low hanging back bumper and no low hanging skirts and front fascia... I know that some SUV's like the gmc envoy, Yukon and Escalade have a flat cover that blends with the bumper, maybe you can get one of those and graft it to your car. Hope that helps.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:44 PM

roof kit

gm makes a kit for bikes that mounts on the hhr roof rails. with your hieght you should have no problem loading 1 up there.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:18 PM

You may of seen that most of the HHR hitches are made by one company...

Quick Reply: Hitch for the HHR, I want your Photos, Suggestions, Info, etc. Lots of Pics