General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Hitch for the HHR, I want your Photos, Suggestions, Info, etc. Lots of Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 07:35 AM

Yeah i saw that they're pretty much made by te same people. The hidden and drawtite look exactly the same, although slightly different accessories, and the Curt looks just a little bit different.

I haven't seen the uhaul one pretty much anywhere...

A roofrack is out. not only do i not want to mount them to the roof just because i don't enjoy doing it that way. But my wife has to be able to do it as well, and she's 5'2"
Old 02-17-2009, 09:12 AM

The reason I asked about the height and bike is that I am 5'11", I ride a 56cm road frame and L MTB frame.

I can fit both in the back laying down without issue (the MTB is a tight fit because they are wider and taller than road bikes). With some innovative thinking I have been able to put the road bike inside upright with only taking off the front wheel and NOT lowering or removing the seat post. My road bike seat height from floor to seat top with front wheel off measures 45".
Old 02-17-2009, 09:39 AM

Paint it black, paint the muffler black, and it hides fairly well. I don't think you can get one that is not "offset".

Name:  Picture029.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  78.2 KB
Old 02-17-2009, 10:24 AM

thanks for the photo solman. I was reading through your old posts when you were getting yours.

Yours doesn't look that bad, but i think Colored hhr's have an advantage since it blends underneath more. With the black hhr it just sticks out since everything else is already black.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:45 PM

I have a Hidden Hitch. It's about 9 months old and still looks good. Bought it for a small trailer and bike rack. The chain keeper is more than strong enough for my usage. The Draw Tight and Hidden Hitch are made by the same company. Only difference is HH came with the required very tall drawbar.
Cons: My car is lowered and the hitch now sits even lower. I have to be careful when I park or it will hit curbs, it also drags from time to time over steep sudden inclines such as a drive way. I also don't like how much of the whole bar is visible. wish the bumper covered it more.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:20 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the info on all of this. Had my brother in law down for the weekend who works at a large steel fabricating place (as a CAD designer but the guys taught him how to weld) and he might work something up for me since i really only want to put a bike rack on.

Either that or I am looking at a few ways to conceal it. I actually have a killer idea and if it works i'll post it. Still won't be getting the hitch for a bit, gotta get some cash (IRS is stealing a bunch of mine) and gotta go see my dad for the install.

I think I am going to go with the Curt, because i like that both ends of the crossbar are sealed on the end, where it looks like the draw tite and the hidden have the right side extended past that plate and it open. I don't like that. Also, the Curt has the reinforcement plate on the bottom of it, instead of the top like the others, which my work better with my concealment idea.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by twistrman
I think I am going to go with the Curt
I like my Curt but I have found one problem with there company, I ordered it from Etrailer but there shipped from Curt. There was no problem when it was delivered but there packing sucks, I shouldn't even use the word packing....you'll understand if you order one. Again, I'm glad I bought a Curt hitch but......

Later,
Al
Old 03-16-2009, 01:19 PM

thanks for the heads up, was it damaged at all in shipping then, or just packed like crap?

I am pretty sure I will be going for the curt when I do it.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:07 PM

Don't install the harness. When you do decide to sell it not having the wiring will help convince the buyer that you never towed anything. If you have rust inside the receiver are you coating the insert sleeve with lithium grease?
Old 03-16-2009, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by twistrman
if you saw one without the offset, i would check to make sure that is the right one. In my searching, a lot of places show the real one you are getting and then the other sites shows a generic one and disclose that info somewhere. I'm thinking it might be that. All of the hhr ones i have seen have the exact same shape.

I am 6'2" and i have a Schwinn Voyageur Hybrid GS with the XL frame. When i tried to get it in the back to take it for a tune up i gave up, put my wife's in the back, had her drive to the bike shop, and then i rode mine over.

Saw a lot of hhr's out today, but none with hitches. Although i have been staring at every other vehicle with a hitch i am stopped behind. Might just have to go with the ugly install and find out something better later. Since I really only want it for a bike rack (and a 2" receiver, so i will have to get an adapter or a new rack still...) I am tempted to see what my brother in law might weld up for me.
Are you buying a rack? If you are look at the Thule T2
http://www.thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=917 . It's expensive but very easy to use and VERY sturdy. You just set the bike on the rack and crank the arm over the wheel.

Quick Reply: Hitch for the HHR, I want your Photos, Suggestions, Info, etc. Lots of Pics