General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Hitch for the HHR, I want your Photos, Suggestions, Info, etc. Lots of Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 03:49 PM

I would love that rack, but no way in heck can i spend $400 on one, not even if it was slightly lower at a different store. I have looked at that one and the saris thelma before, same style, as well as the Xport, which is simillar but much cheaper.

I already have a rack though, it's the kind that has 2 90 degree bends in it, and then you put your bikes on the arm and screw the plate down on it. It's pretty easy to use. After a bit of use the plate was starting to detach so i took it to my brother in law who welds,and he made sure it would never come apart again. So it is more sturdy then most of them on the market now.

However my bike rack is for a 2" hitch. I looked at adapters but i learned that using an adapter cuts your tounge weight limit in half. so the 200lb limit is now at 100lb. Which is not good. Most likely will go see my brother in law again and have him cut off the end of mine and weld some 1.25" to the inside of it. Home made adapter.

He also told me he could probably just weld a bracket up under the car just for the bike rack, but i doubt I will go that route. I trust him, but I don't know if i trust him that much.

I've never used lithium grease.

Also, I don't think I plan on buying the wiring harness at all. Don't really feel like setting it up, so why even pay money for it. Maybe one day I will, but don't really need it.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by twistrman
I would love that rack, but no way in heck can i spend $400 on one, not even if it was slightly lower at a different store. I have looked at that one and the saris thelma before, same style, as well as the Xport, which is simillar but much cheaper.

I already have a rack though, it's the kind that has 2 90 degree bends in it, and then you put your bikes on the arm and screw the plate down on it. It's pretty easy to use. After a bit of use the plate was starting to detach so i took it to my brother in law who welds,and he made sure it would never come apart again. So it is more sturdy then most of them on the market now.

However my bike rack is for a 2" hitch. I looked at adapters but i learned that using an adapter cuts your tounge weight limit in half. so the 200lb limit is now at 100lb. Which is not good. Most likely will go see my brother in law again and have him cut off the end of mine and weld some 1.25" to the inside of it. Home made adapter.

He also told me he could probably just weld a bracket up under the car just for the bike rack, but i doubt I will go that route. I trust him, but I don't know if i trust him that much.

I've never used lithium grease.

Also, I don't think I plan on buying the wiring harness at all. Don't really feel like setting it up, so why even pay money for it. Maybe one day I will, but don't really need it.
If he welds on the sleeve adapter you should be good. The only issue with that type of rack is it puts stress on the top tube of the bike. This is usually a problem with road bikes so your bike should be fine. When you put your rack on just rub some lithium grease on the insert. This will help with the rust and it won't wash off as easily.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by twistrman
thanks for the heads up, was it damaged at all in shipping then, or just packed like crap?

I am pretty sure I will be going for the curt when I do it.

Mine did not have any damage, a friend of mine also ordered a Curt and his had slight damage on one of the mounting plates....we were able to fix it with no problem. I wish I had a picture of how Curt packs there hitches, you have a little cardboard taped here and there and it's then put in a big.....what do you think the hitch it's going to do while people are handling that box. BTW, I called Curt and told them there hitch was great but there packaging sucked. JMO
Old 03-16-2009, 05:39 PM

well if you guys had trouble getting it shipped, i can't imagine what they would do to it here. I have had to go to the post office many times to complain. I have had a shipping tube cracked clear in half and left at my door and mail so mangled they put in it a special envelope that says sorry we damaged your mail. Luckily I think I will ship it to my dad since i will install it at his place.

I haven't had any problems with my rack before. I've used it on a lot of different ones. Currently it will be used on my hybrid and my wife's comfort bike (hers has a frame tube adapter, so no worries on that one).

I plan on getting a new rack someday but it will have to wait. I want a good one if i buy a new one, and like the link you sent, they cost a good amount.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:26 PM

nice 1 1/4" bike rack

You might want to check out "performancebike.com" they have a nice 2 bike rack that uses 1 1/4" hitch, check out the XSport , flatbed rack on sale for $149.99
Old 03-18-2009, 07:43 PM

Thanks, i mentioned that one up in post #21, but i forgot the "s" in it.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:12 PM

Be carefull of the Export rack. My freind has one of those and he noticed that the paint was rubbing off of his top tube where the rack clamps down on it. Pretty upsetting for him as this was on a brand new Kona Hei Hei race bike.

Also, if you think that you don't need as much strength in your receiver because your only hauling bikes, think again. The bikes hang off the back supported only by the hitch. A trailer has wheels to support it and the weight on the hitch is much smaller than the weight of the trailer. The bikes can bounce and put forces many times greater than their actual weight on the receiver.

My .02

PS, I want the Thule or Saris rack also.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:04 AM

A friend just bought a curt rack. I noticed her bike racked leaned to one side pretty bad. Closer look and the receiver tube wasn't welded square with hitch.

I have an EZ Sport CX Semi Recumbent. Its heavy and long and will put alot of stress on the hitch. I really have to have a 2" receiver for it. I have part of my spine fused and can't lift the bike up to the rack. My rack is custom made 2" and has an all weather worm gear motor off wheel chair lift, to raise and lower ( the swing down alot of bike racks have so you can access your hatch back. ) so the bike can be mounted and taken off with its wheels on the ground.

I have seen an HHR with a 2" receiver hitch on it and it didn't look custom, could have swore it had Uhall sticker on it, but couldn't find a 2" on there website.

So guess I have to have a custom made 2" receiver. Any ideas?
I'm thinking about going through the bumper and then adapting one of the hitch covers off another gm vehicle.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:46 PM

No Laughing Allowed....

Old 08-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Rest In Peace

Curt Hitch.
Name:  06796a6a.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  88.9 KB

Name:  c99e484c.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  35.2 KB

Name:  74bc91e9.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  58.5 KB

Name:  a3c0a2cc.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  61.1 KB

They sell an Adapter, Curt Manufacturing 45785 Adaptable Hitch Extender 1 1/4 To 2 - 6 In Long

Quick Reply: Hitch for the HHR, I want your Photos, Suggestions, Info, etc. Lots of Pics