General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Hitch for the HHR, I want your Photos, Suggestions, Info, etc. Lots of Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 07:52 PM

BlacknighT- What is that box over the ball in the second pic? Never saw that before. Does it serve as a locking device and/or keep the ball and socket coupled together like a pintle? I've had, and known others also, who have had the trailer coupler jump off the ball while towing. I now prefer Bulldog type couplers, with weight distributing bars to preload the ball. But with the HHR Class 1 hitches, a more positive securing method would be a plus.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by working on it
BlacknighT- What is that box over the ball in the second pic? Never saw that before. Does it serve as a locking device and/or keep the ball and socket coupled together like a pintle? I've had, and known others also, who have had the trailer coupler jump off the ball while towing. I now prefer Bulldog type couplers, with weight distributing bars to preload the ball. But with the HHR Class 1 hitches, a more positive securing method would be a plus.
Yes it is a simple device created by guy looking to stop trailer accidents and thefts. I actually spoke with guy at length-Karl-and even his wife on the phone. Great guy, great product. Check out his website & look at the trailer towing videos & links. His product isn't inexpensive, but I bought it anyway for safety and a peace of mind. After you see some of the trailer accident links you'll want one too. (No I am not a paid endorcer). The only thing I had to change was to buy a longer shaft hitch ball off the shelf at UHaul. The newer style ball also has a cotter pin that goes through like on a ball joint.

Mike

http://safetysentryinc.com/