General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Hitch mount cargo systems

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 10:32 AM

Hitch mount cargo systems

Good morning all!

Looks like I'll be making a trip out to Detroit this summer to visit family and I'm looking at getting a cargo rack system for my road trip essentials (extra gas can, tools, etc). Does anyone have any recommendations? I would prefer a locking "bed box" type system for convenience and security, not to mention weather.

Also, any hitch recommendations? Uhaul? Hidden Hitch do-it-myself?
Old 03-07-2011, 10:06 PM

Your only allowed 100# on that hitch...so be careful....with the milage you'll be getting is the extra gas can really necessary?(400+) Ive made that trip to many times (across I80) Nebraska really boring...any of the made hitches are good for what your doing,,go for price. Just watch your weight..was going to suggest a small truck box that fits the rack but that wouldnt leave much weight left for anything else...might be better getting a large cooler and installing clasps...........cooler can be bolted to rack....
Old 03-08-2011, 01:10 AM

I have the hidden hitch on mine - easy to install. Check out the How to Do section of the forum and search for hitch installation. For extra storage, when I go camping with the boy scouts, I have a cargo rack that I slide into the hitch and have mounted a plastic lockable cargo box to it. That way I do not have to haul wet items (tent, chair, ground cover, etc) inside of my vehicle. The hitch has a tongue rating of 200 pounds, but just make sure you do not overload your rear suspension. Another issue I have found is that if you put to much weight back there you can definitely tell it if you go around a curve at a fast speed (interstate speeds that is). The extra weight makes it feels like the back end wants to slide around.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:52 PM

I just recieved my Hidden Hitch yesterday. But it will be a couple of weeks before I have time to install it. It looks well made and has some heft to it. The only mnodification that has to be made is to enlarge the hole at the right rear to 1/2 inch. The install time is supposed to be 40 minutes.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:54 PM

Remember...hitch will handle 200lbs...but the frame attach will not...according to owners manual...100LB max
Old 03-08-2011, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ron S
I just recieved my Hidden Hitch yesterday. But it will be a couple of weeks before I have time to install it. It looks well made and has some heft to it. The only mnodification that has to be made is to enlarge the hole at the right rear to 1/2 inch. The install time is supposed to be 40 minutes.
Make sure all the holes that are already there are large enough to start out with. I followed the instructions and watched 2 videos on line about the install. Only took a half hour with the exception that the rear hole across from the one I had to drill was a hair too small. Found out the hard way by fishing the bolt through only to have it jam in the hole because of the spring fish made the bolt a tad too wide. Had to unfish the bolt and the go fish with a wire hanger to pull the washer out. Please check ALL holes to save a headache.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:20 PM

Here's a quick video of the install. Claims its on a 2010 but I think 2010s had a green flexifuel emblem, my 09 is yellow. Same install on all HHRs but check both holes for proper size...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veam5dVMYpM
Old 03-10-2011, 11:08 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. Once I get closer to trip time, I'll pick everything up.

Oh, and about the extra fuel... I've had "issues" before running cross country. Something about road noise at 75mph that makes you forget about things, until the idiot light flashes at you, or you feel the car sputter.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:58 PM

Weeeeell....in that case......
Old 08-01-2011, 10:03 PM

Good Evening Everyone

This past April I purchased a 2010 HHR. I need to purchase a hitch so I can put a lift on it for my Scootie. The lift is the type that lifts the Scootie and places inside the back. I appreciate any suggestions for the type of hitch I need. My husband will install it.

I, too, am lazy. Lots of posts to go through!

Thanks!
Lois

Quick Reply: Hitch mount cargo systems