General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

How bad does this look ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2024, 01:59 AM

How bad does this look ??

Nicest car I've had in a long time. One owner car that I purchased at 141,000 miles. All options are on this thing. I've recently rebuilt the front suspension, installed timing chains and gears, water pump and thermostat, front rotors and brakes, rear shocks, new tires and battery, and more. At 146,000 miles an uninsured driver ran a stop sign and totaled out my car.

I'm hoping that some members here can look at the pictures and offer your advice on whether or not this thing is worth repairing, or should I just write it off. I'm 65 years old, but can still turn a wrench. My insurance company totaled the car, but I have the option to buy it back at $750.

I have no idea if the frame is damaged, and was unable to get the hood opened to look in the engine bay. The car now sets 125 miles away.

The radiator is gone, and the drivers airbag deployed. No other airbags were disturbed. The body lines at the back of the doors look to be in original alignment. I can load more pictures if it would help.

What do you think ??

Last edited by Skooterbum; 09-25-2024 at 02:03 AM. Reason: More information
Old 09-25-2024, 06:39 AM

Are you up to parting it out? Is it a 2.2 or 2.4? Leather heated seats? Looks like nice tires on alloy wheels. Yard might take the car and let you keep them. Maybe.
Old 09-25-2024, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, sorry some inconsiderate, uninsured bozo wrecked your HHR . The air bag deployed, could be the most important part of the puzzle. From these photos it appears that the front bumper cover could be repaired, same with from fenders. The hood and grille need to be replaced, the ac condenser and radiator will need replacement also.
If the rad cradle isn’t bent to much , then yes it’s salvageable.
If it’s just the driver’s air bag that’s pretty easy to replace. Find a pick a part yard and start harvesting parts.
Old 09-25-2024, 09:32 AM

So sorry for the bender.
A numbers and logistics game. Time and effort needed to repair. Seems you've started the calculation with all the recent part$.
IF the big one the frame is straight. Then a mechanically inclined person with time could peruse the salvage yards and get her road worthy again.
Will that be worth what you end up with versus taking the proceeds from insurance and moving into another ride?
Having all the options is a plus I look around and don't find many with leather.
Some of my thoughts. Good day.
Old 09-25-2024, 11:56 AM
Administrator

I say fix it! Then again, I am prone to like that IBM looks like just the hood is buckled it’s possible the frame wasn’t damaged.
Old 09-25-2024, 11:56 AM

It's got the 2.4 engine, leather heated seats. Remote starter. I believe it to have every option offered for the car. Tires with maybe 5000 on them.
​​​​​​
It's been taken to the CoPart yard 125 miles away from me. My insurance totaled it, and had it taken there.

I'm guessing that the only way to tell if the frame is damaged is to have it looked at by a body shop. If I thought that the frame was undamaged, I would rebuild the thing. This is my main concern.

Anyone know if CoPart allows the car owners to check their cars out at the CoPart lot, or did I loose all rights to the car when I turned it over to my insurance company ??

We are getting a lot of uninsured drivers in my neighborhood, as my neighbors brother came to visit him a few days after I was hit, and his brother was also hit by an uninsured driver. The passenger of the vehicle that trashed my car had the nerve to come up to my window right after the collision with her cell phone on a translater app asking me not to call the police. Didn't speak a word of english. I was still trying to address my injuries and make sure my little dog was alright, and her first thought was to not call the police. Didn't ask once if me and my dog were alright. Gotta love it !!

Forgot to mention that I was traveling at maybe 25mph max. Driver that ran the stop sign, I'm guessing 25 to 35mph.
​​​​​

​​

Last edited by Skooterbum; 09-25-2024 at 12:04 PM. Reason: More information
Old 09-25-2024, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

Unibody car. They don’t have an actual frame.
Old 09-25-2024, 02:27 PM
Administrator

A tape measure can be used to check the frame. If the insurance company took it to Copart, they are a salvage yard. Contact your insurance company and ask them about your buy back options.
Old 09-25-2024, 04:04 PM

I fixed up two HHRs that were totalled by the insurance company (other driver at fault both times).

The unit body has two rectangular rails that stick forward of the wheels, the bumper is bolted to these two rails. If the rails are still good, or at least only damaged forward of where the front of the engine cradle bolts to the rails, then it should be reasonably repairable. The bolted engine cradle tends to stiffen up the unit body and keep damage minimal further back (at least in low speed collisions).

It looks like the brunt of the impact was at the front center? If so, then that's good as the rails are less likely to be damaged.

A new upper radiator support beam is available from Rock Auto for $51 (has to be welded in).

Front fenders, hood, bumper support, and bumper cover are pretty cheap from a scrapyard.

Other possible parts needed: radiator, AC condenser, hood latch, etc.

Since the driver side airbag went off, in addition to replacing the airbag you will have to replace the front impact sensor that is attached to the radiator support beam. Rock Auto has it for $300 (yes they are crazy expensive) so you should be able to get one from a scrapyard (make sure the airbag hasn't gone off on the car!).

Good Luck
Steve
Old 09-25-2024, 04:22 PM

Here are some measurements, at the top of the front and at the underside of the front:

Finally, here's a picture showing the bumper beam (the steel support behind the bumper cover) and how it's attached:

Steve

Quick Reply: How bad does this look ??