General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

How bad does this look ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2024, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Trust me fastsuv has fixed many problems with an HHR , he confirmed what I was thinking.
Old 09-25-2024, 07:39 PM

One concern is that you didn't just collide with a stationary object. Looks like the other vehicle came at you from the driver side? So those rails may be pushed towards the passenger side?
Old 09-25-2024, 09:10 PM

Yes the car that caused the wreck was coming from the drivers side, and the bumper is pulled to the passenger side.

The insurance company is willing to sell the car back to me for $750, then another $250 to $300 to get it hauled back to my home. I bet I can rent a car tote for less then that. After paying off the loan, and my deductible subtracted from the payoff, that would leave me with about $1000 to rebuild it.

I've spotted a possible parts car locally that I've been told that I might be able to get for cheap. Other than the radiator support being welded in, will most everything else bolt together ??

I spoke with two local mechanics and they both said that since the drivers airbag deployed, most likely there is some frame damage.

It was such a sweet little car...... I hate to give up on it knowing what I've already put into it.

I think I'm going to have to go for a road trip and take a good look under the hood.

Thank you for the body measurements, that will certainly help me to determine if there is any, or possibly the extent of any structural damage.

Thank you everyone for your input on this !! Hopefully I can go check it yet this week. I'll certainly post back with my findings and pictures for further advice.
Old 09-25-2024, 10:09 PM

If I recall correctly, everything was bolt-on except the radiator support (I actually straightened out my radiator support instead of replacing it).

The radiator support is almost certainly damaged in your case. The spot on the hood where it's pushed in the most (near the center) is where the impact sensor for the airbag is located (back side of radiator support) which may be why the airbag went off. Normally, the impact sensor detects the g-force on the whole car, but in your case the impact sensor may have had a high-g spike as it was hit almost directly on.

I looked quickly online and found a place that sells used driver airbags for the HHR for $175. I'm not sure if you have to replace the air bag control module once an airbag goes off. If so, the air bag control module is another $175.

If you have $1000 to rebuild it, it's going to be close in parts costs. That doesn't allow anything for having scrapyard panels (hood, fenders, bumper) painted to match your car (unless you get lucky and find the same color parts).

Steve
Old 09-26-2024, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Great price for the air bag parts, the impact point seems to be predominantly the hood, the tires are straight and the fenders not severely impacted. I would say yes there might be a bit of a bend in the rad cradle but a port-a-power should help straight out. Perhaps your local parts palace has a loan a tool one in stock. The fenders look to be cleaned up with a hammer and dolly.
Old 09-26-2024, 07:35 AM

Here are the links to some online airbag places.

Looks like the original air bag control module (SDM on GM cars) can be sent to a place that resets it for about half the cost of a new one.

Airbag Module Reset Service | MyAirbags

Search | Airbag Center

SRS Airbag Module Reset MCU - SRS Airbag Module Reset & Seatbelt Repair Services (srsmodule.com)

Old 09-26-2024, 08:03 AM

According to gmpartsdirect.com, the impact sensor for a 2007 HHR is GM part number 15821097.

I see a bunch of them on Ebay as cheap as $39.

Steve
Old 09-26-2024, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Did you save the one off Oldblue?
Old 09-26-2024, 11:02 AM

Your doing well on the re-acquire costs and the estimated parts list. Is the rest of the uni-body relatively rust free?
A donor of the correct or complimentary color would be beneficial.
The tape measuring would be great to confirm the probability of your possibility. A good workspace at home or near?

end result?
A driver with a salvage title (but a safely repaired vehicle) and a bunch of spare parts from the donor.
versus
replacement cost of another ride

good discussion of due dilgence
Old 09-26-2024, 03:13 PM

I contacted CoPart and they want something from my insurance company stating that they will allow me to do what's needed to get the hood open on the car. I'm guessing that I need to fully remove the already damaged chrome grill to gain access to the latch assembly, to get the hood opened. I've put the request into my insurance company. Hopefully hear back sometime today, then a road trip to get some measurements and pictures.

I called about the local HHR thats been setting at a tow company, and I can get the complete car for $800. I might be able to negotiate that down a bit. Supposedly the car needs a fuel pump. So there's a chance I can get everything I need out of one car, with lots of stuff to resell or save for later use. I've only seen the car while driving by, so I don't know it's overall condition, but the front clip looks to be very usable. I'll post a couple pictures a bit later. My only complaint is the car is silver. But maybe I could get creative with a partial wrap on the front of the car after it was put back together....

Maybe this will all pull together for me...

Quick Reply: How bad does this look ??