General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

How do Gold Lines ride?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 04:10 PM

How do Gold Lines ride?

I have been tossing around the idea of lowering my HHR and was thinking about Cobalt SS or Eibach Pro springs. I really prefer the lower Gold Line (Generation 3) look, but I am concerned about how they ride. Do you feel every bump in the road? Bottom out over bumps? Is snow any problem? This is my daily, I do about 400 to 500 miles a week and don't want a real harsh ride.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:13 PM

Mine never bottoms out, or has problems with snow (yet) but the ride is very firm. Lloyd
Old 10-01-2008, 04:17 PM

no bottoming out here and so far snow hasn't been an issue either, sweet ride
Old 10-01-2008, 04:22 PM

Guy do you like the ride or think it is firm or stiff like LSchicago suggest?
Old 10-01-2008, 04:34 PM

Slightly stiffer than stock, and there will be more bounce after you hit a bump.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:39 PM

I added the sway bar at the same time and the ride is stiffer but not to the point of being uncomfortable, definitely more fun though. The only time I get concerned is on big speed bumps(which we do not have alot of here) and some particularly crappy construction goin on, but no problems so far,well worth it to me. The car feels more controllable with so much less body roll.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:16 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by saltyfishguy
I added the sway bar at the same time and the ride is stiffer but not to the point of being uncomfortable, definitely more fun though. The only time I get concerned is on big speed bumps and some particularly crappy construction goin on, but no problems so far,well worth it to me. The car feels more controllable with so much less body roll.
Dory has been riding on GLs for 2 years now, and I have to agree w/ Guy. But even the "bigger" speed bumps are no problem cause there is still plenty of clearance.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:13 AM

I like it better than stock

I like it much better than stock. I think mine are the Gen 1 and it lowered it about 2" all the way around. First thing I noticed is it rides smoother and does not seem to feel every little bump in the road as bad. On really big bumps it feels firmer but on regular roads it is smoother.
I have been putting a lot of miles on my car testing for mileage (probably over 1500 ) lately and on the highway in cross winds the car is now so much more stable you would not believe. A sway bar is not needed nearly as much if you have the Goldline springs, with stock springs in severe crosswinds the car can really be a handful.
Here in the United States of Texas we do not have snow but I think it would be better in snow to.
The Goldline lowering springs was the best invesment I have made so far on the car. Curly
Old 10-02-2008, 10:25 AM

I had 1st gens and the ride was harsh.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:42 AM

Great input from actual owners. IMHO, describing ride quality is subjective. What may seem harsh to one might be what the other describes as tight, etc.
Make the effort to try and drive/ride in an lowered HHR.

I went with the rear leveling springs. On the freeways, it rides awesome. Around town, I get a clunk over small bumps and yes, they are installed correctly. I love the way the cars looked lowered. I am more than capable of doing the fronts myself, just didnt want the hassle as it isnt an easy install.
Leveling the rear was a good compromise.

Quick Reply: How do Gold Lines ride?