General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

How do you think the HHR handles in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 06:41 AM
Banned

Thumbs down

I don't think it is going to handle well in the snow. There was about an inch or so of packed snow and slush on the ground this morning on my way to work. My a** end slid out on me while turning onto a throughway onramp. I slid sideways a little but nothing too major that I couldn't handle. Then after I got off the throughway I got a block or two and had to stop at a red light. I hit my brakes then traction conrol kicked in and I slid for about 20 feet before I began normal deceleration. I was only traveling at about 20 - 25 mph so I wasn't even going fast. I think if anyone has to drive their HHR in the snow that you should ditch the Firehawk all-seasons and get a set of dedicated snow tires. I have decided that I need to get a set of 16" steel wheels for my snow tires. I wonder how much Chevy charges for them?

Last edited by captain howdy; 11-26-2005 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Its your wheels locking up on you, traction locks your brakes to get them spinning at the same rate. I get it on dry ground sometimes. I should read the manual also to see if there is anyway to turn it off, not that I want to in the winter. In my Mustang there was a traction control button so it was easy to turn off. I notice that I get a lot of oversteer out of the HHR also. I have a set of winter tires that wil fit my HHR but I need a set of 16" steel rims off of a LS. I also have the 17" polished rims on my HHR. Do the Canadian HHRs with 17" rims also come with Firehawk GTAs just like the American version?

yes mine came with the same firehawk, and i'm also looking to get them winter tires and rims
Old 11-27-2005, 09:59 AM

I hope I have no problems when it snows down here. Time will tell.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:08 PM

Red face

You guys are right on the mark about crappy traction in snow on firehawks....I live in so. wis. and had 4 inches of snow last nite. I slipped all over the place .I'm 55 years old and lived and drove here all my life, so I'm use to this weather. Alot of people on this site [especilly the guy who worked for a tire co.]know alot about cars and tires so if you could suggest a few tires .....priced low enough to swallow....I would appeciate the response.I'm running 16 inch wheels and still have original steel rims stored in garage to mount tires on.Also would you suggest switching rear tires too?????? Thanks for any info and help.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:35 PM
Banned

Winterforce tires work realy well in the snow. I had a set on my Mustang and loved them. They made a pretty well modifed V6 RWD handle beautifuly in the winter. The same set of Winterforces will fit on my HHR if I get a set of 16" rims so I plan on putting them on my HHR. I tried Nokian tires three winters ago and I wasn't that impressed. I spent about $200 per tire for them and they only handled a little bit better than your standard all-season. I always switch all four so I don't end up with two tires that grip and two that slide around.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by fishbreath
Florida = heavens waiting room
Detroit = Hell's Kitchen!

Fenris
Old 11-28-2005, 07:47 AM

We had snow all weekend, then ice, then rain....the HHR handled it just fine, but I am dumping those gosh awful Firehawks! Have a set of 17" rims on the way and leaning towards some Blizzacks. The rims and tires will be used for only winter driving so they should last the duration of the car or until I move back west, which should be this spring. lol Other than that, it was pretty cool.

Fenris
Old 11-28-2005, 09:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fenris222
Detroit = Hell's Kitchen!

Fenris
I thought Hell's Kitchen was here in my state in the big city.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:15 AM

Yeah in NYC, there is a place that does
Old 11-28-2005, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
I thought Hell's Kitchen was here in my state in the big city.
That was for asmusement purposes only! Everyone is a critic!

Quick Reply: How do you think the HHR handles in the snow?