General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

How do you think the HHR handles in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 11:30 AM

SIHHR - low trans

With the weather we've had for the last week or so picking up the car alst night was just as good as any other night. Seems we are in the snow cycle lately. Supposed to get another dousing of snow on Saturday.
As far as the lows trac light..............it did come on a couple of times on the less traveled roads but not while I was on the highway. It was only on momentarily then off again. It did keep me aware of the weather conditions.
Also had the 'ice' warning come on once too.

Iowa1960
Old 12-09-2005, 12:18 PM

Traction Control

I guess I'm not getting this traction control crap. If you have a front wheel drive car, only one wheel is driving. If the opposite wheel is slipping, maybe you brake the driven wheel and make it spin at the same rate as the non-driven wheel. What if it's the driven wheel that's slipping? Do you brake the other one so you have no movement? It sounds more like a gimmick than anything. It's not like you're transferring torque from one wheel to the other.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by iowa1960
It was only on momentarily then off again. It did keep me aware of the weather conditions.
Also had the 'ice' warning come on once too.
When the car is 35 Degree's or less the ice warning will come on when you start the car
Old 12-09-2005, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by kodak_jack
I guess I'm not getting this traction control crap. If you have a front wheel drive car, only one wheel is driving. If the opposite wheel is slipping, maybe you brake the driven wheel and make it spin at the same rate as the non-driven wheel. What if it's the driven wheel that's slipping? Do you brake the other one so you have no movement? It sounds more like a gimmick than anything. It's not like you're transferring torque from one wheel to the other.
What occured for me is while driving without stopping now problems. Once I stopped at a light then procedeed the Low Traction comes on and the car moves with low power while stepping on the gas. However it does prevent you from slideing all over the road.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:08 AM

I'm alright,, my back is totaly messed up, and my leg,
the scariest part was when a Semi was coming at me,but it swerved in time..
a few other cars hit the same ice patch and went right into the ditch...
Old 12-12-2005, 07:07 AM

I due time you feel better. "Any day above ground is a good day" from Scarface
Old 12-16-2005, 02:30 AM

HAHAHA oh ****

hmmmm,,,,since i baught this HHR we got the worse luck ever and it keeps going...

My sister drove the HHR to school this morning and some idiot ran a red light and t-bone the chevy..... my younger cousin broke her arm. cause the guy hit the right side of the car....

This was right near my house,,, so i drove out to see what happen...When i got there guy wasyelling at my sister to move the car, but your not to sopose to move anything till the cops come... and my cousin in the car, in pain....

But yeah,, i was really pissed off and tired.... so i punched him in the face...honest to god i've never been so mad in my life....

i will post picture up soon,,, the car is really ****ed up....

Hope things get better in the new years,,, till then every body keep safe!!!
Old 12-16-2005, 08:19 AM

I use one of our HHRs for a daily paper route. Mon - Sun. Thats right ...
7 days a week. I've been in 3 winter storms ... 4-6 inches of snow on
Thanksgiving morning ... 12 - 14 inches of snow a week ago today and
1 - 3 inches this morning of ice, sleet, rain and snow. First storm took
a lot getting used to FWD after years of 4x4 fun. Glad to say, although
some areas are hilly and not plowed, only get stuck once (today) trying
to sneak a little closer to a paper tube. 5 minutes of rocking back and
forth and good to go. I have 165 customers which means 165 stop and
gos. Soooooooooooooooooo .... IMHO the HHR has proved itself as a
good Winter Warrior (so far) :)
Old 12-16-2005, 02:52 PM

i hate bad news. I hope it works out okay.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:18 PM

Snow in Auburn Washington-Hello All From Newbie!!

Hello to everyone out there in HHR land! Newbie Gerdog here checking out the landscape. Man, are there like 4 different HHR 'clubs' or sights around already??? I happened across this one today and it looked pretty hip and didnt charge Money like one other 'major' site does. And I don't know if that's good or bad but I've never seen a fan site for auto's on the web that actually charged a fee for membership. The times they are indeed changing arent they??
But the real reason for this post is to let you know that last week we actually had like close to 3 inches of snow in Auburn at my house. Snow there is actually kind of rare and to have it stick and last 3 days is really cool. But on the 9th my wife drove the HHR (2LT-Loaded Orange Sunburst with 2.4L Inline, but without Onstar) to our daughters Christmas party. Well, I was at night school and when I got home I got a panicked phone call from my daughter telling me that mom was freaking out (I guess it was pretty bad where they drove and the traction control was triggered a couple of times!! LOL!! Oh Sh*t!!!) and could I come drive her and the HHR back up the Mile an d 1/2 hill to our house?? Long story shorter: got there, The HHR ATE the road up!!!! Not only did it make it up the hill with the Firestone Firehawks, but the traction control didnt even come on once!! The only time it slid was when all four tires started sliding due to me going a bit too fast into a turn-Hey, I was having FUN here!! So, I've got to give it an A+ for the first go around. It's been colder than a witches tit here all week but no snow and crystal clear sky's...DAMN!!
Merry Christmas to all and hopefully more to come...... I Love this Cruck!!
Peace, Gerdog

Quick Reply: How do you think the HHR handles in the snow?