General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

How good is the HHR at Baby Hauling

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 11:33 AM

How good is the HHR at Baby Hauling

So I want to get a car for my fiancee. I was thinking a HHR SS would be economical for her but fun for me to drive when we go for family trips.

Does and has anyone used car seats in teh back of these things for new borns?

I am 6'1" about 235. Am I even going to fit in this thing.

My prevous car was a Trailblazer SS that was fully built and put down 538 HP. Gas mileage was horrible at about 10-12 miles per gallon so I hope the HHR can fit the bill.

Thanks for any input.

Eric
Old 12-22-2011, 02:35 PM

I’m fresh out of babies of my own here and have been for some time. My daughter just turned 25 and has no kids of her own,… yet and may never get around to that part of life.

With that said we do take care of a young boy sometimes. He is a bit larger than toddler size but the state still requires him to be in a special seat.

While he is not exactly an infant, the seat we use belts into the HHR back seat just fine. We have never had him in the front as my wife is in the passenger seat and I’m in the driver seat when we haul him anywhere.

When my daughter was small we had a seat that was rear facing in our, new at the time, Caviler. The idea at the time was if the air bag were to be deployed it wouldn’t kill her.

It was simple enough to belt the base of the seat in then the top part locked into the base. It was kind of a bugger to get the base out when you had a full size passenger though.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:58 PM

I think I have had to put my niece's (toddler) car seat in my HHR and didn't have any problems. Then again that would be compared to my previous car (98 Camaro Z28) which may as well not even have a backseat. I think the HHR's back doors open wide enough that it shouldn't be too difficult getting a car seat in and out of the car too.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:38 PM

I bought my first HHR just before my 1st child was born. I'm on my 2nd an SS now and they work great for baby hauling. Enough room for 4 adults and the kids car seat even if the back is a little cramped. An lots of cargo room for all the kids stuff and the mega Christmas hauls. :) On and now my daughter is addicted to BOOST and loves for me to go fast. :)
Old 12-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Banned

I am 6'1" and drive a 2008 Shadow Edition (Non-SS) with a 5speed and I fit perfectly in it. Like a glove in fact. Seat all the way back, and down, and steering wheel all the way up, and you slide right in..

With the SS HHR you can expect 25-30mpg..Also, I might add if you can drive a 5speed, I would recommend it.. You can get more power from the get go by 20hp. I believe Auto is 230-240 and 5speed is 260..
Old 12-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Deceased

to the forum bignose94015!

No children for us to haul around, my wife and I both decided long ago that we'll never be grown up enough to be parents, sometimes you have to wonder if some folks should have figured that out too when you see them howling at their kids in Walmart.

But I digress, I'm a big guy too at 5' 11 1/2" and 260 pounds, no problems at all fitting into an HHR...although the headroom is a touch tight in my 2011 with a sunroof. No complaints with passenger room, 4-5 adults can fit with no issues, although the rear seat passengers should be on a friendly basis if you stick 3 people back there.

Glad to have you here and don't hesitate to ask questions about anything, plus make sure you try the "Search" function in the toolbar at the top of the page.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:55 PM

I'd say it works (I have 2 young children and can haul them around fine) but when we are taking a longer trip, or have to haul stuff I prefer a larger car like our Freestyle. Babies cause you to haul around a lot of stuff like strollers, packnplays and the like.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

No babies here either, but any extra passengers, I stack in back of my Panel (no rear seats) like cordword & just throw a tie-down strap over them & go.................
Old 12-22-2011, 10:57 PM

I traded in my Firebird (sic) because baby seats didn't fit. The HHR-SS has been an acceptable alternate, giving me more room and better mpg. I don't love the FWD but it does move along faster than my v6 'bird and keeps the kids in the back. Add a roof rack and a Thule cargo carrer and you have the storage of a small SUV with the mpg of a small car. (I get 29 with the 16 foot cargo carrier).
The twisties are just a turn away after you've dropped the brood off at the mother in law's...
'

JIjm
Old 12-24-2011, 12:37 PM

Some good replies here but I am going to address the question about the newborn. I myself am 5'6" and 190. The HHR fits me very well. Just yesterday I picked up my 4 month old grand-daughter and put her carrier behind the drivers seat. My seat had to be moved up so it would fit properly. After that I was a bit cramped. I cant imagine it being behind the passenger seat would be any different. Carriers can be different but I would not think it to be too much.

I see that you are much taller than me so you may want to try it out beforehand.

Quick Reply: How good is the HHR at Baby Hauling