General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

How many of you undercoat your hhr

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 12:21 PM

Smile How many of you undercoat your hhr

personaly,i do every new vehicle i buy a treatment of KROWN oil spray.i go in every march and she gets done again. i have been keeping my vehicles for an average of 8yrs and the look &stay in excellent shape espesially in our harsh canadian winters. i always sell my cars etc private and without a lie,they sell very quickly.my last unit was a 2002 dodge durango &it sold in 3days. ialso think there is great benifit from sraying inside door panels,under hood. i have had much less major problems and i am sure it is because of this procedure.i
noticed yrs back when i was younger that all the steel sheets we recieved always had a coating of oil, it seems the mfg's knew something. any way curious to know if any or all do this,in preporation of keeping your vehicle for any lenghth of time.
time well wasted&later KEWATIN
Old 09-09-2010, 12:43 PM

Longest I've every kept a vehicle was 13 years. I've never added any undercoating. Never had one rust out. But I've never lived in a climate where they used salt on the roads. When I lived in the Rockies, they used urea.

I've also heard it's not a good idea to respray as that will trap in everything that is already under there. You will never get everything cleaned from the chassis area once it leaves the factory.

But glad it's worked for you.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:37 PM

The SS will not be driven in winter... Winter is for Jeeps!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:59 PM
ret

I would think the humid, wet winters of BC would rust a vehicle whether it's driven or not, especially since moisture is the culprit for promoting rust. In Ontario it's Oil Guard for me every third year. Cheap protection, no drip product, $99 Cdn for my HHR.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:09 PM

I would think the humid, wet winters of BC would rust a vehicle whether it's driven or not, especially since moisture is the culprit for promoting rust.
I don't keep it out on the rain.... Sure, it might rust quicker than a car in Arizona, for example. But compared to driving with salt on the roads, the humidity in the air isn't going to turn it into a rust-bucket any time soon! Anything east of Vancouver rusts way faster than the coast due to salty roads....

If I drove it in winter, it might be worthwhile.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:32 PM

Yeah, humidity and moisture doesn't bother me too much, except for parts where it doesn't dry out, like the doors and such. Sure it might rust eventually, but it'll probably just be some spot surface rust, nothing that you can't fix. Now with road salt, it'll literally eat the panels so you have to put new sheet metal in. Believe me, my truck is a nightmare after being driven 23 years in Michigan winters. Luckily it was taken care of.

If it works for you, keep doing it! What I do is put used (or cheap) motor oil in the door drain tubes, enough that it will drain out them all so that it coats the inside bottoms of the doors. This helps IMO. Now in the HHR we sprayed undercoating in the doors and did that...and did it on the hatch too. Hopefully it'll help.

I've never understood how people in say Florida say their cars "rust out" from the salt water in the air.... BS. They need to move up north....I'll show you some rusty cars.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:37 PM

Check the difference between a '60s car from Florida and one from.... say Arizona and you will see what they mean...... Salt air is not like road salt, but it does cause rust.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Check the difference between a '60s car from Florida and one from.... say Arizona and you will see what they mean...... Salt air is not like road salt, but it does cause rust.
No, I realize they do get rust...but so little that I wouldn't even count that! I want them to explain how my aunt's 2003 Toyota Sienna doesn't have any rust on it, and I dont' think she's ever washed it, and it sits outside. I'm pretty sure in Michigan that car would be about gone....
Old 09-09-2010, 04:17 PM

Cars today will got for the most 10+ with our rust unless it has a place that is prone to it. I never rust proof here in the snow belt but I do wash my cars year round to keep them up.

You need to watch as in some cases rust proofing can cause issues with the GM warranty. Generally you will not have rust till the rust through warranty is over anyway. So in most cases it iwll not hurt the car.

My last truck is still going with the second owner and still no rust after 13 years.

Now some cars here will rust soon like Honda and Toyota's. They just get eaten up with rust. My buddy works at a Hyndai dealer and they have had complains on underbody rust on cars only 2 years old. They even have a TSB on how to deal with it.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
My buddy works at a Hyndai dealer and they have had complains on underbody rust on cars only 2 years old. They even have a TSB on how to deal with it.
A woman at my job had an issue with her Hyndai's inside door handles loosing their chrome & cutting hands. I call Hyndai C S and they said there is a recall on them-thats when they asked for some more info and it turns out her car is also on recall for the front end "assembly" (holds motor, suspension, etc) for rust. Sure enough they mic'd & spec'd the sheet metal. The whole lower chassis had to be replaced & the car is only a few years old.

Quick Reply: How many of you undercoat your hhr