General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

How many of you undercoat your hhr

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 10:35 PM

around the detroit area, there is a ton of salt used.

the bottom panels on dodge trucks seem to be the worst. they get bad here. big time perforation on trucks that do not look old at all.

drippy undercoating is not approved by the EPA here, but i am considering taking my HHR to windsor ontario to get Krown applied. my big concern with it is staining my driveway. some people say it drips for a couple days and some say it drips for ages
Old 09-09-2010, 11:11 PM

Krown sounds messy..but like it would work. Almost interesting for myself to look into...but it sounds like it just drips for months, and then your car is just really dirty. Don't know if I'd want a dirty car, or a rusty car. The rate I clean I think I'd rather have the clean one...
Old 09-10-2010, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by BlackknighT
A woman at my job had an issue with her Hyndai's inside door handles loosing their chrome & cutting hands. I call Hyndai C S and they said there is a recall on them-thats when they asked for some more info and it turns out her car is also on recall for the front end "assembly" (holds motor, suspension, etc) for rust. Sure enough they mic'd & spec'd the sheet metal. The whole lower chassis had to be replaced & the car is only a few years old.
With a friend in the Hyundai service department I get to find out all the dirt on them.

The new Sonata was held at the dealers becaue the door handels failed. The brakes on many models are freezing up in the north and they are buring the pads up as low as 15,000 miles.

The rust they fixed was done by hitting the sub frame rails with a hammer to knock the flakes lose and then sprayed it with wax.

I have more but the cool part is my buddy could have gotten a deal on a Hyundai but he bought a HHR. In fact he bought it after riding in mine.

Hyundia is not a bad car for the money but they do have thier issues and good thing a warrnty too. It just does not cover some things like leaking shocks at 35.000 miles etc.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:00 AM
ret

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Krown sounds messy..but like it would work. Almost interesting for myself to look into...but it sounds like it just drips for months, and then your car is just really dirty. Don't know if I'd want a dirty car, or a rusty car. The rate I clean I think I'd rather have the clean one...
If you do scoot into Ontario check out a place called Oil Guard. I used their services on both my cars and it was a no drip spray. It does not drip off the car at all. Both of mine were done a few weeks ago when it was hot and humid. I have the cars in the garage and not one drop of spray has fallen off the car. It has leached out the door ports and around the fender seams but is sticking to the car. I did use Krown years ago and although the product is good it does run off the car for a long time. Have to wonder if any of it stayed on. Anyways I switched to Oil Guard for that reason plus its a couple of bucks cheaper.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:57 AM

hi there,i think it would be a good idea to go to windsor to get the krown system.yes it does drip for a couple of days,but usually if you get it done in warm weather.ileave my vehicle out in the street for a couple of days or i have even put cardboard down in the garage. i am surprized to learn that it is illegal in the usa.krown guarentees the price will stay the same if u do it every year. idd my vehicles every 2 yrs.nice to here from a neighbor from across the river. i am in WALLACEBURG,ONT right across from MT CLEMMENS,MI. regard&later KEWATIN
Old 09-10-2010, 10:17 AM

But can you wash your car if you have these things put on?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:28 AM
ret

Absolutely no problem with washing your car but I would not use a car wash that sprays up from underneath to clean your undercarriage any time soon after having this rust proofing done.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:43 AM

And one more question... Can you have this done on an older car to help slow rust? Like say, an 11 year old car that doesn't have much rust on the body?
Old 09-10-2010, 11:24 AM
ret

Yes. Ever see a rusty farm tractor?
Old 09-10-2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by ret
Yes. Ever see a rusty farm tractor?
Ever see a farm tractor going 70 down the expressway behind a salt truck....

Quick Reply: How many of you undercoat your hhr