General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Hydraulic floor jacks - 2 ton sufficient?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:15 AM

Hydraulic floor jacks - 2 ton sufficient?

Since the HHR is equipped with the OLM, oil changes no longer coincide with mileage for tire rotations and I'm not going to pay a premium just for a tire rottaion, so..............

I am looking at picking up a hydraulic floor jack to make tire rotations easier.

Will a 2 ton Hydraulic floor jack be sufficient to safely lift the HHR? I think it will, but thought I'd ask.

Also, where on the rear axle would be the best location to use jack stands?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:32 AM

I would think it would be more than sufficient. Of course, unless your pet elephant is sitting in the HHR while you are trying to jack it.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:53 AM

You'll be fine with a 2-ton jack. Remember, you're only lifting a portion of the car!
Old 03-28-2007, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member

Black Rose....

I use a 2 ton rated hydraulic jack. Don't seem to have any problems (been using it for 8-10 years...but, I am due for a new one...has a slight pressure leak).

I lift each wheel individually using the cradle or suspension mounts. Wasn't comfortable lifting from the middle of the rear axle. It's a bit precarious.

But, my routine is different than most people. When I rotate tires, I put the car on jack stands so I can also clean and polish the wheels inside and out, and clean and polish the plastic liners of the fender wells. It takes a couple of hours.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:08 PM

Snoopy has the best idea (I was just focusing on the 2-ton jack's ability to lift). You'll want to lift the car in stages and use jack stands. It is safer, and you have the opportunity to clean/look for problems.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I lift each wheel individually using the cradle or suspension mounts. Wasn't comfortable lifting from the middle of the rear axle. It's a bit precarious.

But, my routine is different than most people. When I rotate tires, I put the car on jack stands...
Now that the glaciers have receded for the winter, I can finally do something with the stockpile of parts I have in the house

I haven't crawled under the beast yet to take a look around to see the jacking points, best place for jack stands, etc. Where do you place the jack stands?

Kind of dumb questions I know, but this is the first vehicle I have had in years that I want to work on. I'm scaring my wife...she thinks this is my mid-life crisis
Old 03-28-2007, 02:53 PM

Don't buy a cheaply made 2 ton jack. It will be rated at 2 tons, but there will be so much play in the linkage that the handle will move 6 inches before it starts pumping the hydraulic cylinder. I bought a cheaply made one years ago and I could not lift my Mustang GT because there was only limited room for the handle to swing under the air dam when the jack was under the rear diff. I returned it and bought a better one and the good one lifted with no problem. The cheaply made ones will usually be sold by Kmart/Wal-Mart type of stores. Some of these require you to pull out the pump handle from the pump and put it onto a valve for up/down control. Don't buy those. A good floor jack will raise or lower by twisting the handle. It's hard to line up the valve with the removable handle when most of the jack is under the car! There are inexpensive ones that are good, so shop around. Craftsman has good ones, also there are some pretty good inexpensive ones at Harbor Freight.

Steve
Old 03-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member

Valid points, fastsuv....

Made me think of the ONE THING that I look for first...... ANSI approved. Much of the China and foreign country "junk" is not approved. Some is, and quite good....but it must have this approval for my satisfaction and peace of mind.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:45 PM

Don't you always balance your tires at the same time you rotate them? I learned the hard way that balancing is very important, especially on aluminum wheels with stick-on weights.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Founding Member

If you plan on lowering your HHR, you'll need a low-profile type jack. Just something to think about before you plop down your money for a regular one.

Quick Reply: Hydraulic floor jacks - 2 ton sufficient?