General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

I Gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 10:09 AM

I Gear

I have the auto tranny and love it. I've heard all the raves about the I gear. I have used it some, but not a lot. I think yeshia even used it at Bristol. Is there an article or thread I can read about it? I've noticed it downshifts harder. Does it go up to third gear, or stay in first and second? Very confused. Don't want to blow my engine.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:43 AM

I'm not sure about the HHR's but i my auto tranny in the cobalt "I" gear is like 1st and 2nd. It starts off in first and will only shift ONCE for you...after that, I've gotten best results at the track by just putting it into "D"
Old 06-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Banned

I personally think driving in I sucks because of it limiting your shifting but everyone else seems to enjoy it.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
I personally think driving in I sucks because of it limiting your shifting but everyone else seems to enjoy it.
Here's a 3 page thread about driving in I gear that I found here on the forum.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy

I only do it while launching at the track as it's the only way to turn off the traction control...it's has it's pro's and con's
Old 06-27-2006, 11:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSport
I only do it while launching at the track as it's the only way to turn off the traction control...it's has it's pro's and con's
Damn T/C! That's one of the things I miss about my Mustang, the button to turn the T/C off. Chevy should have put a T/C button on their vehicles.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:32 PM

^^ Agreed...that's one thing that does suck about the cobalt. The GTO has it and it's a great convenience.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
Here's a 3 page thread about driving in I gear that I found here on the forum.
Thanks Deb. That enlightened me. I'm going to give it a good tryout.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:48 PM

The "Truth" About "I" Gear...

Just setting the record straight:

"I have the auto tranny and love it. I've heard all the raves about the I gear. I have used it some, but not a lot. I think yeshia even used it at Bristol. Is there an article or thread I can read about it? I've noticed it downshifts harder. Does it go up to third gear, or stay in first and second? Very confused. Don't want to blow my engine."

“I” gear does go up to 3rd gear. It shifts into second at 15mph under light throttle, and into third at 43mph under light to mid throttle. It downshifts to second at 38mph to help save your brakes on hills (or around town).

"I'm not sure about the HHR's but i my auto tranny in the cobalt "I" gear is like 1st and 2nd. It starts off in first and will only shift ONCE for you...after that, I've gotten best results at the track by just putting it into "D""

Actually it does go up to third – just ask anyone who has gone over 110 in their HHR! By downshifting to “I” you can bypass the HHR’s 108mph limiter and rev out to higher speeds.

"I personally think driving in I sucks because of it limiting your shifting but everyone else seems to enjoy it."

It does not “limit” shifting, but is “throttle dependent” in regards to shift points. Drive like a gramma and it will “short shift” quickly, rap out and you will be greeted with firm positive shifts – almost like adding a B&M shift improver kit to your HHR! (Those who use "I" regularly know what I'm talking about!)

"I only do it while launching at the track as it's the only way to turn off the traction control...it's has it's pro's and con's"

Unfortunately, “I” does not turn off TC.
Traction Control can only be turned off in ”Low.”

Hope that answers some of your Q's.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
Just setting the record straight:

"I have the auto tranny and love it. I've heard all the raves about the I gear. I have used it some, but not a lot. I think yeshia even used it at Bristol. Is there an article or thread I can read about it? I've noticed it downshifts harder. Does it go up to third gear, or stay in first and second? Very confused. Don't want to blow my engine."

“I” gear does go up to 3rd gear. It shifts into second at 15mph under light throttle, and into third at 43mph under light to mid throttle. It downshifts to second at 38mph to help save your brakes on hills (or around town).

"I'm not sure about the HHR's but i my auto tranny in the cobalt "I" gear is like 1st and 2nd. It starts off in first and will only shift ONCE for you...after that, I've gotten best results at the track by just putting it into "D""

Actually it does go up to third – just ask anyone who has gone over 110 in their HHR! By downshifting to “I” you can bypass the HHR’s 108mph limiter and rev out to higher speeds.

"I personally think driving in I sucks because of it limiting your shifting but everyone else seems to enjoy it."

It does not “limit” shifting, but is “throttle dependent” in regards to shift points. Drive like a gramma and it will “short shift” quickly, rap out and you will be greeted with firm positive shifts – almost like adding a B&M shift improver kit to your HHR! (Those who use "I" regularly know what I'm talking about!)

"I only do it while launching at the track as it's the only way to turn off the traction control...it's has it's pro's and con's"

Unfortunately, “I” does not turn off TC.
Traction Control can only be turned off in ”Low.”

Hope that answers some of your Q's.
Thanks Mike...I was about to write everything you had answered above. And, I will second what you said.

One additional comment..."I" prevents the "overdrive" converter (my terminology) from kicking in.

Quick Reply: I Gear