General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

I gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Premium Member

I gear

i dont usualy use the I gear, but today i used it just around town and it was mostly in stop and go traffic and i noticed that when crawling to a stop it would chug just before it stopped. I know the engine slows you down at higher speed but if your just going at slow speeds it chuged the whole time today...is this normal? 2008 2.2L - 80,000kms (~50,000miles)
Old 09-05-2013, 07:07 PM

Well if we are experiencing the same thing, then it may just be the car coming out of gear. When you are in "I" the car stays in a higher gear, usually for going down a hill so you don't burn the brakes up. If you are coming to a stop in "I", eventually the car drops out of gear(close to 5-10mph I would say) and what you feel is the car coasting instead of the engine slowing you down, and it will give you the sensation of the car or engine surging a bit. This is the best explanation I have, so if its noticeably worse, it may be a tranny issue
Old 09-05-2013, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

oyy dont say that!! :p im already suspecting tranny issues with a clunking sound as i go through the gears..gona keep an eye on it
Old 09-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by badassbowtie
Well if we are experiencing the same thing, then it may just be the car coming out of gear. When you are in "I" the car stays in a higher gear, usually for going down a hill so you don't burn the brakes up. If you are coming to a stop in "I", eventually the car drops out of gear(close to 5-10mph I would say) and what you feel is the car coasting instead of the engine slowing you down, and it will give you the sensation of the car or engine surging a bit. This is the best explanation I have, so if its noticeably worse, it may be a tranny issue
Higher gear ?? I or Intermediate gear is a LOWER gear than Drive.. That's why it slows ya down..

I've never felt mine 'dropping out of gear' at 5-10 mph.. And I use I gear a bit, it is also Fun gear !!!
No surging here ..
Old 09-06-2013, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by skyline26
oyy dont say that!! :p im already suspecting tranny issues with a clunking sound as i go through the gears..gona keep an eye on it
Ill try my today and let you know what happens to mine! But If you think you are having issue's with the Tranny I would go to a local Tranny shop or mechanic who deals with tranny's and have them do a test ride! Do not give them full detail's but say something like you don't think it is shifting right or you notice a issue when it slow's down,, but not full detail's ,then compare what they say to what you know are issue to you! That way you can get their honest opinion! (hopefully ) :)
Old 09-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Premium Member

I use the I position all the time, we have lots of hills, haven't noticed a surge. I'll try to pay attention today..
Old 09-06-2013, 11:59 AM

Ive noticed this on a variety of vehicles, I believe its the TC that loosens up and freewheels
when you slow down to a certain speed. If your experiencing chugging just before a complete stop, your TC may not be coming out of lock up...and its feels like its trying to stall out..as if your forgot t put the clutch in on a manual
Old 09-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member

The "I" position on the shifter is a slight change of software for the auto transmission. It provides slightly firmer up and down shifts, holds in a gear slightly longer and locks OUT the converter. It also greatly lessens the gas pedal hesitation most realize.

It provides "spirited" driving sensation and after recognizing the capabilities, MAY provide slightly better E.T.'s.

I doubt if it has anything to do with the TC since the TC light does not illuminate when I is used (at least in "06).

Here is all my Owners Manual reports about it.....

INTERMEDIATE (I): This position is also used for
normal driving. However, it offers braking from
the engine for slight downgrades where the vehicle
would otherwise accelerate due to steepness of grade.
If repetitive shifts occur between third and fourth
gears on steep uphills, this position can be used to
prevent repetitive shifting. Fuel economy will be lower
than AUTOMATIC OVERDRIVE (D). Here are some
times you might choose INTERMEDIATE (I) instead of
AUTOMATIC OVERDRIVE (D):
• When driving on hilly, winding roads.
• When towing a trailer, so there is less shifting
between gears.

To provide feedback regarding the surging issue......

No, mine is smooth and consistent, although as I mentioned above, a little more crisp.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Premium Member

i dont think i have TC..there is no light or button anywhere for it so i dont think mine came equipped with it
Old 09-06-2013, 05:48 PM

TC = torque converter (lock up "overdrive") I believe "I" locks out TC, so you are driving the HHR in either 3rd gear or 4th gear. I never have used it living in the flat lands of Florida.

When I moved down to Florida towing a U-Haul with my 99 Buick Regal GS, the owner's manual recommended when towing to use 3rd gear so as not to overwork the transmission. I remember that my "normal" 26-28 mpg I was getting dropped down to 16 mpg, running 65-70 mph at higher rpm.

Quick Reply: I gear