General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

I keep blowing tail light bulbs! What's up with that?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 09:19 AM

I keep blowing tail light bulbs! What's up with that?

I bought a new base HHR back in 2006.

We absolutely love this car, and have had no problems with it, except for blowing exterior bulbs. Within a year, I had replaced all exterior bulbs, including headlights, but have had no other issues since then, except for the tail light bulbs.

My biggest problem are the tail light bulbs. I simply cannot keep a bulb in the passenger side tail light, which will blow within a minute of installing a new bulb.

At one point, the passenger side bulb got so hot that it literally melted the plastic housing that holds the bulb in place. It got so hot that it distorted that plastic housing, and I had to file and reshape the housing so the socket would fit back in.

My dad helped me with this, and cleaned up a ground connection with sand paper and a file, which helped for about 4 months.

If you have any suggestions that might help, I would greatly appreciate them.

Thank you!!!!
Old 10-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Banned

When you install the bulbs, are you using your fingers directly on the glass, or are you handling with a tissue or clean cloth?
Old 10-08-2014, 09:28 AM

I never touch a headlight bulb with anything but a cloth, but on the rear bulbs, just my fingers.

I can't imagine that touching a bulb with my fingers would cause them to blow so quickly, nor get so hot that it would literally melt the plastic socket housing.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:30 AM
Banned

I have very oily skin, and I have always changed using a cloth or tissue. *knock on wood* I have not blown a head-light in 3 years.. And I switched my Tail-lights to IPCW LED tail-lights... no problems there either.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:35 AM

Thanks...after replacing the head light bulbs once, back in 2007, I haven't replaced them in 7 years.

The tail light bulbs...when I walk into the locally owned auto parts store, they automatically reach for the replacement bulbs, LOL.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:38 AM

Any after market electrical mods? Radio, trailer etc.

Sounds like it's getting a feed from 2 12V circuits somehow. Frayed wires etc.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:02 AM

My Accord used to do this. The problem was, somehow the housing had too much moisture in it. I had to install the new bulb then wrap electrical tape around the base of it to keep the moisture out of it. I haven't had a problem since.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Any after market electrical mods? Radio, trailer etc.

Sounds like it's getting a feed from 2 12V circuits somehow. Frayed wires etc.
This base HHR (automatic, not stick) is as bone stock as you can get.

I've had the radio popping problem since the first day of ownership, though.

No upgrades, mods, or anything of that type.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Knightrider03m
My Accord used to do this. The problem was, somehow the housing had too much moisture in it. I had to install the new bulb then wrap electrical tape around the base of it to keep the moisture out of it. I haven't had a problem since.
I've never seen any moisture or condensation of any type in the lens or housing.

I agree though...I had a junk Kia once that did the same thing, and the crude lamp housing/electrical panel was getting wet and corroded.

I see no water...no corrosion of any type.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote: "At one point, the passenger side bulb got so hot that it literally melted the plastic housing that holds the bulb in place. It got so hot that it distorted that plastic housing, and I had to file and reshape the housing so the socket would fit back in."

Bet the socket itself is not in the best shape either from that much heat.
Heat problems such as your's are generally caused by a bad connection. I would check the ground connections very closely.
A "half good" ground can allow the lights to illuminate but at the same time cause it to heat up.

Quick Reply: I keep blowing tail light bulbs! What's up with that?